ATV side by sides.

polarisrider1

I know about nothing of these things. Looking for a 2 seater utility type. 4x4, winch, plow, roof, windshield.
Not sure what to look for. Motor size, make, model?
Any suggestions?

srt20

I know about nothing of these things. Looking for a 2 seater utility type. 4x4, winch, plow, roof, windshield.
Not sure what to look for. Motor size, make, model?
Any suggestions?

No major trail riding? Just a workhorse?
Honda, Yamaha Viking
You want to play and work? Not afraid of fixing stuff?
Polaris General or Ranger, Can Am Commander or whatever their new model is, maybe Yamaha Viking here too.

Just going slow working, pick whatever size engine trips your trigger.

I have a Poo RZR. If I wanted a work only machine, it would be a Japanese machine. But since I only trail ride, I have no interest in the Japanese machines. Their suspensions suck bad (maybe the sport yamaha is better now, but I need a 4 seater) for trail riding. I haven't had major issues with either of my rzr's but some very annoying issues that could be fixed by much better quality control. I had to fix my 2015 rzr that was 2 months old and under warranty because Poo had no idea how to fix it. There is a large number of machines with the same problem I had. My dealer knew of the issue but had no fix, and poo couldn't help.
Im not trying to bash poo, I was aware of possibly having this issue before I bought it new. But the non japanese companies quality control sucks. Can Am has their own issues as well. It is what it is.

mrbb

I think if your looking for a more work related side by side, you need to look at the more AG related machine's
like the Kubota, Bob cat, John Deere, and so on, they can do more work IMO< many have 3/4 ton drive trains on them, and a lot of implements available for them as well, heat and even AC cabs
they will NOT be very trail friendly, as most have low ground clearance and just not the best trail friendly suspension's , some are better than others here

the main players in ATV's, are more trail, friendly sxs's IMO
but lack a little in pure work side of things, not that they won;t work too,
its like all things, what's better in one area, means a compromise else where, no one tool does it all deal!

polarisrider1

I think if your looking for a more work related side by side, you need to look at the more AG related machine's
like the Kubota, Bob cat, John Deere, and so on, they can do more work IMO< many have 3/4 ton drive trains on them, and a lot of implements available for them as well, heat and even AC cabs
they will NOT be very trail friendly, as most have low ground clearance and just not the best trail friendly suspension's , some are better than others here

the main players in ATV's, are more trail, friendly sxs's IMO
but lack a little in pure work side of things, not that they won;t work too,
its like all things, what's better in one area, means a compromise else where, no one tool does it all deal!

Everybody is In this market. So it is way confusing. Looking for a in betweener. Easy on and off plow. But fun for 2 on trails.

snoeatr

The ranger is a good mix of utility and sport. Plow comes off in 20 seconds and a good trail ride. 570 is priced well and impressive power for size. The 900 even better. Im sure other brands are just as good but polaris is only brand I have experience with.

polarisrider1

The ranger is a good mix of utility and sport. Plow comes off in 20 seconds and a good trail ride. 570 is priced well and impressive power for size. The 900 even better. Im sure other brands are just as good but polaris is only brand I have experience with.

Thank you. The Ranger is on my radar.

mrbb

Yamaha makes a pretty decent machine, with some of the best CVT system on the market, known for long life there IMO
and there good in the sport side of things as well

if budget isn't such a killer, the Honda 1,000 with a gear drive set up, should be a notch up min the work end of things and from what I hear , there a great overall sxs, and one I would consider maybe even first, due to I do more work with my atv's than fun!
having the ability to shift gears and such is a big plus to me and add's some sport to things as well I think??/
and Honda's are known for long life, a plus there

as for snow plow, I think most all have about the same like set up options, so easy of on/off will come down to what design you buy, OEM< or aftermarket, all the options are there

some of the more PURE work one's will have the best plow set up's, with having Hydraulic set up's , just like on a big truck
but depending on how much you plow, they might be over kill

BOSS plow, makes aftermarket same set up's too, for any atv/ sxs too, if anyone wanted, but they AIN"T cheap, and there rather heavy, about a 100 lbs more than most other set up's

srt20

I had a plow on a SxS. It sucked. It was a 2 seater and weighed about 1200lbs without me in it and it was just to light. I hardly ever got stuck, but I couldn't push very much. And unless you buy a stupidly over built (and overpriced) plow setup, it's easy to bend the plow frame. You can't give a good "ram" to a snow bank. The actual weigh of the plow blade itself wasn't enough to cut down through the snow if it got hard on the bottom or somebody drove over it.

Just my experience plowing my small driveway for 3 winters with the SxS. I still have the plow setup but it's not going on my new SxS. I'll buy a snowblower first. Having a plow on it was fun the first couple times I plowed. Then I figured out what a PIA it really was.

You probably get a good bit more snow on average than we do here.

mrbb

I have no issue's with my Moose made plow, I abuse it beyond any normal plow should and its taken the beating I give it, I have used it to spread about 250 ton of gravel, a 60-80 ton of broken up driveway material I used for back fill, and countless amounts of top soil
and have used it like this for the past 16 yrs, pushing with a small 400 cc Honda foreman, that weights about 500 lbs, in BIG 12-18 inch snow falls, I do SOME times need to add weight, a 100 lbs of weight on back rack does it, and its like a bulldozer

so, I am sure plow make matters, but a basic sxs should be able to plow pretty good, PENDING blade size, too wide a blade and yes you will for sure loos traction
but due to there weight they should out plow an atv!

I have a 60 inch wide plow on my 400, never had a lick of issue's with it, worn out about 25 wear bars from all the use it gets yr round LOL

I plow about 150-200+ miles a winter with it??
all this was moved with this plow, was two tri axle loads of broken up drive way material, pushed down a hill as back fill at my hunting property! and then a snow pic
my atv plow set up has been awesome for me!

joks79

I am in the market for a crew utility, but I can tell you what I found. I tried a Ranger 570 and 900, Honda 700 and 1000 and the Arctic Cat700. The Ranger 570 has a good amount of power, but once you drive the 900 it's hard not to want one. The Ranger is quiet and the steering is light without eps. Both Honda's had good power. The 700 doesn't have low range and seemed louder to me. As for the Cat, it was very loud! I couldn't talk to the person next to me. The ride wasn't good and there was a bad vibration in it the Cat also has these plastic stops to hold your feet inside the machine that are a pain.

Something else to consider is EPS or not. With wanting a plow on it I would want the power steering.

I didnt drive one because they don't make a crew version but the Can-Am Defender would be something to look at.

When I get one it will be the Ranger Crew 900.

If I was getting a non crew model it would be between the Can-Am, Ranger and the Honda.

mezz

Long time Wayne, how's things? I have an 2011 AC Prowler HDX700 & let me say this, never been stymied plowing snow here in the Kee. I have a quick attach Cat plow, literally takes seconds to connect & disconnect. Electronic Power Steering is a plus. The HDX is quieter than the XT as the engine is located further back, not between the seats like the XT. The new models are even quieter & if it were not for the fact that the new HDX was taller than my present one, I would get it in a heartbeat, but it wont fit through my 6'-6" garage door. All else aside, I can tell you from my experience, this this is a dozer for pushing, pulling, climbing, excellent storage space. Decent trail ride with longer wheel base, not a screamer, but it will get you there. I you want some additional info, feel free to pm.-Mezz

snoeatr

Plowing with polaris blade and 570 mid crew. Works great. Had only 1 big snow this year in november. 14" of wet and heavy and it didnt bat an eye moving it. Not sure why srt20 had so many problems?

snowlover

I had a Polaris RZR and had nothing but issues with it. We used it to haul wood and do yard work along with trail riding. The issues were the front differential locking in which was repaired with the upgrades the first time and the next 2 times was electrical issues with the speedo needing to be replaced. The water pump went out and had to tear out the motor to replace. The right drive shaft snapped in half and that was the last straw so we traded it in on a Yamaha Viking and will never look back. We tried a Polaris 800 Ranger, Honda 700, Yamaha Viking and Kawasaki Teryx 4 seater in real life situations and the Viking was hands down the most versatile machine and was very comfortable even trail riding. A buddy of ours bought one before us and he is hard on stuff and he has had no troubles with his and he drives it on a daily basis using it to haul wood, check traps and general playing. He had two Prowlers before that and they basically fell apart in the same conditions. He was a strong Cat guy and will never buy a Cat atv or utv again. My neighbor has a Polaris Ranger that is smooth riding and quiet but has gremlins and some electrical issues. He has even been thinking about selling it and getting a Viking. We use the Viking to haul wood, fertilizer, yard work, hunting and trail riding and in 600 miles have not had any issues. You can talk to your passengers at cruising speeds even with the radio on. The cab has more leg room and the dash placement makes you feel very secure. Take a look at one, I am glad we did. Kip gave us a good deal on ours with no hidden fees like other dealers.

sweeperguy

I had a Polaris RZR and had nothing but issues with it. We used it to haul wood and do yard work along with trail riding. The issues were the front differential locking in which was repaired with the upgrades the first time and the next 2 times was electrical issues with the speedo needing to be replaced. The water pump went out and had to tear out the motor to replace. The right drive shaft snapped in half and that was the last straw so we traded it in on a Yamaha Viking and will never look back. We tried a Polaris 800 Ranger, Honda 700, Yamaha Viking and Kawasaki Teryx 4 seater in real life situations and the Viking was hands down the most versatile machine and was very comfortable even trail riding. A buddy of ours bought one before us and he is hard on stuff and he has had no troubles with his and he drives it on a daily basis using it to haul wood, check traps and general playing. He had two Prowlers before that and they basically fell apart in the same conditions. He was a strong Cat guy and will never buy a Cat atv or utv again. My neighbor has a Polaris Ranger that is smooth riding and quiet but has gremlins and some electrical issues. He has even been thinking about selling it and getting a Viking. We use the Viking to haul wood, fertilizer, yard work, hunting and trail riding and in 600 miles have not had any issues. You can talk to your passengers at cruising speeds even with the radio on. The cab has more leg room and the dash placement makes you feel very secure. Take a look at one, I am glad we did. Kip gave us a good deal on ours with no hidden fees like other dealers.

I think Lenny would agree he likes his
https://youtu.be/D6pDn2PfFik

I am in the market for a crew utility, but I can tell you what I found. I tried a Ranger 570 and 900, Honda 700 and 1000 and the Arctic Cat700. The Ranger 570 has a good amount of power, but once you drive the 900 it's hard not to want one. The Ranger is quiet and the steering is light without eps. Both Honda's had good power. The 700 doesn't have low range and seemed louder to me. As for the Cat, it was very loud! I couldn't talk to the person next to me. The ride wasn't good and there was a bad vibration in it the Cat also has these plastic stops to hold your feet inside the machine that are a pain.

Something else to consider is EPS or not. With wanting a plow on it I would want the power steering.

I didnt drive one because they don't make a crew version but the Can-Am Defender would be something to look at.

When I get one it will be the Ranger Crew 900.

If I was getting a non crew model it would be between the Can-Am, Ranger and the Honda.

joks....may want to take a gander then......

clicky → DEF MAX.jpg

joks79

caged_beagle,
None of the dealers I have talked to told me about a crew version and I didn't find one online. Hmm. Do you have any other info?

polarisrider1

Pr1, I feel your pain! Go to a dealer and try a few.

It's like trying to buy the ultimate car or truck. Then you look around and see all makes and models. No one model jumps out. Sleds are way easier, Poo Rmk Pro and done. But this side by side thing is totally confusing for a newbie to it.
Lake County, Michigan has opened up most of all trails and roads to ORV use. They want to be the "next place to be" for ORV riding. I am smack in the middle of it. Guys are saying, "Dude, 10 months of riding, ORV's or...sleds..... 2 maybe".