ATV side by sides.

mrbb

one thing I will add here to think about is motor size?
yes we all like HP LOL
BUT if you plan to work and drive slow ish on trails them larger HP machines run HOT, they just IMO are NOT designed to run slow
I have seen many 800-900-1,000 models overheat from just slow driving on trails, or doing food plot work, where your working HARD but going slow
it seems the larger cc'd machine are counting on air flow to help cooling as in speeds above 20 mph or higher , to help them run cool

My friends can am 1,000 commander is like an oven, had to add all sorts of heat material and a fan to be able to ride in summer time and not bake in it LOL
has serious get up and go, but its not a happy machine when driving slow

I personally again think the Honda 1,000, not there smaller models, having the advantage of manual gears, for slow going and work, and then higher for play, sounds like a great set up

but fully agree, go test drive as many as you can, some times one just FITS YOU better , and that can be worth a little extra in the long run

srt20

yes we all like HP LOL
BUT if you plan to work and drive slow ish on trails them larger HP machines run HOT, they just IMO are NOT designed to run slow
I have seen many 800-900-1,000 models overheat from just slow driving on trails, or doing food plot work, where your working HARD but going slow
it seems the larger cc'd machine are counting on air flow to help cooling as in speeds above 20 mph or higher , to help them run cool

My friends can am 1,000 commander is like an oven, had to add all sorts of heat material and a fan to be able to ride in summer time and not bake in it LOL

I personally again think the Honda 1,000, not there smaller models, having the advantage of manual gears, for slow going and work, and then higher for play, sounds like a great set up

but fully agree, go test drive as many as you can, some times one just FITS YOU better , and that can be worth a little extra in the long run
This is just plain incorrect.

If they overheat, you need to clean the crap out of the radiator. They are absolutely no different than a car. They can run indefinitely at stopped or very slow speed. They have radiators, thermostats and electric fans.

Can ams are hot in the cab because they put the engine inbetween the seats. Same with some other brands. Engines behind the cab are cooler and quieter in the cab.

mrbb

I am NOT wrong about big cc'd atv's and side by sides overheatingworking and going slow, the group of guys I ride with, the machine we have at my hunting camp, and on aATV forums I am. On, all show this is true;;??
yes they have cooling systems like cars, BUT they also factor in speed of travel to aid in cooling, going slow(3 4mph for long periods of time, towing a sprayer or dragging a disc, will max there systems out, same as going really slow for long periods of time on very tight rocky trails here, seen it countless times? Smaller motored atv's sxs's in same ride, NOT over heating, bigger one's over heating, that's even running. Better coolant, like Purple ice and such?? Check into it? Its a real issue!?

srt20

I am NOT wrong about big cc'd atv's and side by sides overheatingworking and going slow, the group of guys I ride with, the machine we have at my hunting camp, and on aATV forums I am. On, all show this is true;;??
yes they have cooling systems like cars, BUT they also factor in speed of travel to aid in cooling, going slow(3 4mph for long periods of time, towing a sprayer or dragging a disc, will max there systems out, same as going really slow for long periods of time on very tight rocky trails here, seen it countless times? Smaller motored atv's sxs's in same ride, NOT over heating, bigger one's over heating, that's even running. Better coolant, like Purple ice and such?? Check into it? Its a real issue!?
Like I said tell them to maintain their stuff. Clean the radiators.

We have 17 SxS in our group. Smallest being a 800. All brands. They are all used for anything from fast trail riding with the boys, slow trail riding and through the woods riding with peoples young grandchildren, to farm work, to pulling or winching logs for firewood, to hunting, etc.

Never had one overheat. Not one. You are absolutely incorrect about the design of Atv and SXS. This isn't 1970 anymore. No snake oil coolant.

mrbb

my friends rads are all clean and washed regularly
we don;'t mud ride either at all
90% of all riding is work on hunting property/farm and or SLOW trial riding, sub 20 mph
they have all had heat related issue's since new, and of different brands, when worked HARD
I am on a few atv forums, I hear what others have issue's with as well, so I am NOT alone do a google search on 800 polaris over heating issue or pick you larger atv's sxs
the 800 search I did, came up with 2,800,000 hits , when typed in 800 polaris over heating?? all RZR or sportsman, 2 million ?? ain;'t just me??
don't believe me, try it yourself!

your experiences are your's mine are mine, others are others
I just gave some info, OP can digest it as he likes
some folks love fords and chevy's and never have an issue, other's do

what can I say
I see what I see, and just trying to offer feedback based on it
NOT bashing larger sized atv's OR sxs's
just saying, from MY experience, bigger one's seem happier to be driven faster than slower
besides who really BUY"S a big bore anything to go slow LOL

Last edited:

srt20

Manufacturers are NOT going to design them to overheat while going slow. If it was a design flaw, imagine all the warranty claims.
I'm not giving an opinion, it's a fact.

Yeah googling does nothing. I can get dirt in my radiator, or have it low on fluid and overheat anything. Some people just don't know anything about maintaining a machine or even properly cleaning a machine.

1fujifilm

I know about nothing of these things. Looking for a 2 seater utility type. 4x4, winch, plow, roof, windshield.
Not sure what to look for. Motor size, make, model?
Any suggestions?

Hello Polaris Rider,
I am not an advocate for a Polaris sled but I am for the 2015 Ranger 900 S that I bought new a year ago with a Boss 6 foot plow. As an fyi, you can still get one as a new leftover for about $12,500 with no plow. The Boss plow is about $3,200 and WILL plow almost anything, no chains needed. I plowed 13.2 of wet snow last winter at one time (no pre-plowing needed). Sure, there was a bit of spinning but you have low gear and hi gear if needed.
I suggest you spend some time on the Polaris website as a "pop-up" coupon may come up for an extended warranty like I used (2 extra years).
So far, no issues and it has snort to trail ride with both my wife and I on it.

Bear

- - - Updated - - -

yes we all like HP LOL

I agree, with CC's going up each year buy the biggest you can afford.
Shop around and buy at the best time of year (seems like June or July is a good time to buy a Polaris as the new models come out in July/August). Also, if they still have prior year leftover models in late fall that is a good time too.

Bear