Avalanche Bag Sale

600_RMK_144

Huge selection. How do I figure out what works best for me?
Currently use the klim knac pac.

Easy for me. Started with price and that narrowed it down real quick. Matter of fact, eliminated every single one of em. I know, I know, these things will save your life and how can you put a price tag on that? But how do you justify a (starting price) of $450? Given the nature of the product (life saving) seems, you'd want to price them so the avg. rider could wear them without breaking the bank.

My .02

polarisrider1

Easy for me. Started with price and that narrowed it down real quick. Matter of fact, eliminated every single one of em. I know, I know, these things will save your life and how can you put a price tag on that? But how do you justify a (starting price) of $450? Given the nature of the product (life saving) seems, you'd want to price them so the avg. rider could wear them without breaking the bank.

My .02

What's your life worth.? Mama thinks I am good for a million bucks every 4 years. She says get what you need and have fun. Seriously thou I need a bag that holds my shovel, handle, probe and immediate survival things along with the air bag. I do not need the hydration bladder and would like a comparable size to the klim NAC pack.

600_RMK_144

What's your life worth.? Mama thinks I am good for a million bucks every 4 years. She says get what you need and have fun. Seriously thou I need a bag that holds my shovel, handle, probe and immediate survival things along with the air bag. I do not need the hydration bladder and would like a comparable size to the klim NAC pack.

Hmmmm. Maybe that's the problem. Every time I go out, she asks if I made the life insurance payment this month? LOL! Just kidding, totally see where you are coming from. I'll have to settle for the beacon/ probe for now.

polarisrider1

Hmmmm. Maybe that's the problem. Every time I go out, she asks if I made the life insurance payment this month? LOL! Just kidding, totally see where you are coming from. I'll have to settle for the beacon/ probe for now.
And shovel. Take a few minutes to try it all out first morning out. We don't want to lose anyone for having fun. Ride safe.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
...I need a bag that holds my shovel, handle, probe and immediate survival things along with the air bag. I do not need the hydration bladder and would like a comparable size to the klim NAC pack.

You are not going to find an avy bag that is as compact at the NAC pac, but sounds like you do not need a lot of storage, so look for something that says 18 liters or less for storage. First year I got the BCA float 32 and could have kept a spare sled in there! Went to the ABS that you can interchange the pack (zipper on) on the back and have plenty of room. I got this pack from First Place Parts in autumn of '12, it has outside space for shovel/handle and then plenty of room inside for gloves, DSLR camera, some munchies, probe. I also like the fact that ABS has two bags, versus one.

-John

firstplaceparts

On picking a pack it comes down to personal preference. I agree with John that most guys don't need anything bigger than about 15 liters, I've got an older ABS Free Ride pack. Not sure what it has for a volume, it's one of the smaller packs, but I can fit more stuff into than I want to carry, the older you get the less you want to strap on your back. I can fit a spare set of gloves, goggles, safety equipment, food and some more. You would be surprised at how much you can fit into a bag.

***Now to price, read this post over at Snowest.com: Avalanche Thread yes the bags are expensive but like I stated in that thread it is about 9% the cost of buying a new sled and that's before anything goes on sale.

Thanks
Mark

ezra

I have been eying the 525 well 550 shipped.
I know in a slide I may be better off with the bigger bag,
but after I pass that $600 buck mark it becomes more to think about and I will prob blow it off .
or am I just wasting my cash with the smaller abs and it really is worth spending the $800?
any opinions biased in real life facts ?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have been eying the 525 well 550 shipped.
I know in a slide I may be better off with the bigger bag,
but after I pass that $600 buck mark it becomes more to think about and I will prob blow it off .
or am I just wasting my cash with the smaller abs and it really is worth spending the $800?
any opinions biased in real life facts ?

Ezra. While I have not had to use my bag in an avalanche (thank God!), I did a lot of research, including asking the Avalanche forecasters at Jackson Hole Avy Center, about the size of the air bags and the conclusion was that for the average human, you do not need to be overly concerned with the air bag size. The 2 bag system does have an edge on the one bag system for the simple reason if the one bag does not inflate for some reason.

So unless you are 6'4" and 300 lbs+, you really do not need to be too concerned about the flotation aspect as they all provide adequate flotation once deployed. It then just boils down to if you want the charge to be compressed air or nitrogen and the storage/amenities of the rest of the pack.

-John

ezra

Think I am going to go with the ABS float 22 then. price is right better than just a beacon I think I am going to go with deer hunter orange so I can find it in my huge growing pile of gear.
why cant u fly with them in checked ?is it the canisters cant take the unpressurized cabin? if that is the case why cant u carry on?

pez

I finally bought one this year. I look at it like I did when I bought my TekVest....They offer protection for a reason, why not buy? I hope to god I never have to pull mine because I will probably die of a heart attack, but, better be safe than sorry.

firstplaceparts

Here are my thoughts, all the avy airbags are good and anyone is better than not having one. So if cost is an issue buy the best one you can afford and spend the rest of the money on a beacon, probe and shovel.

We've hosted a few avy classes over the years and the biggest thing I've got from them is that probes and shovels break, so buy a good probe and a metal shovel. When you are digging someone out, or they are digging you out the last thing you want is a broken shovel. The other thing I've taken away from these classes is, know your beacon and how to use it and make sure everyone in your group knows how to use theirs.

Thanks
Mark

muzik

Bought two ABS 22 this year, my life and sons are worth it, yeah one is more for my buddy he rides more than son. Wife says come home in one piece and I tell her alive or dead. It is pricy and you may have to fill the air once a year, nut you gotta be alive to ride and better safe than sorry