Avalanche Classes

luke_duke

I was wondering if anyone had information regarding avalanche safety training that might be available in Ohio or southern Michigan. I did a quick search the other night and didn't come up with anything current. Thanks

ezra

tough this time of yr. BRP has free Duffy classes in the fall otherwise Google Mike Duffy avalanche 1 and look over his scheduled events prob not out yet but who knows. his DVD is good and worth buying not a bad refresher to pop in the lap top on your 18hr drives

luke_duke

Well that is a start...Thanks. I rode out west at Togwotee for the first time with a guide. I had all the basics needed(stick, rented beacon, shovel) but knew it wasn't enough without the training. I saw the post you, Carter, and others made about the importance of proper training and will make the effort to be take a class. Purchasing the videos sounds like a good idea as well. I hope there is something yet this summer because the fall is a very busy time for me and really don't want to go in the early winter to take the class unless I have to...but will.

tough this time of yr. BRP has free Duffy classes in the fall otherwise Google Mike Duffy avalanche 1 and look over his scheduled events prob not out yet but who knows. his DVD is good and worth buying not a bad refresher to pop in the lap top on your 18hr drives

ezra

looked at duffys page I see no Ohio
u in a club or have a dealer by u do this

Host a Class

We bring the class to your location
3 Easy Steps

1. Find a meeting room. Here’s what you need:

Classroom type setting with seating for up to 30 people (I have used motel meeting rooms, clubhouses, fire halls, community centers, etc.)
Electricity, extension cord and table up front.
Projection screen.I can help you find a location.

2. Set a time and date.

Midweek evenings from 6-10pm work best.
Check to see when I’m in the area or schedule a separate date.

3. Promote the class and sign people up.

I will help promote the classes over the internet, through forums and emails.

Class Information

Four Hour Avalanche Class specifically for snowmobilers

Classes are effective, proven to save lives and affordable.

Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains.

Cost: $40 Colorado/Southern WY. $49 other locations. Cost is per person.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years. Member American Avalanche Association.

Classes available: Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class– classroom setting

Four hour avalanche beacon and rescue field session – outdoors

To schedule a class or for more information:
Call Mike Duffy 970-390-9433 duffyww1@aol.com

luke_duke

I was hoping to find a class. I guess if there is nothing available this fall I could maybe look at hosting a class in late November. Hopefully in the next month or so, there might be some classes that become available.