Back to doo? here we go again..

redrev

well thought i was down to xtx or rtx. well i was at dealer where they have 1200 doo and rtx next to each other in a back shed and must have spent half an hour going back and forth. i think the rev will be more comfy. im tall and that extra 7 inches to move your foot forward seems to be nice. the nytro isnt bad but you cant move your foot in front of your knee to stretch out like the rev. now im not sure if the 1200 has enough power? anyone have one? or maybe i should just try a 800r to see if i like the chassis. ok guys bring on the opinions cuz i dont know what to do now. would like to buy before snow so i cant really test drive them.

zappie1213

redrev

i bought a 2009 renegade 800r in feb because i did not like the fact it does not have a 2nd way of starting it. what happens when the battery dies or the starter goes bad you are sol! i was leaning towards a 4 strock my self but went this route instead i love the machine so far i have about 800 miles on it

hope this helps!

whitedust

XP & Apex simular ergos. Nytro different ergos to XP & not simular. Transition to standing very easy for Nytro but tall guy would be better on Apex & XP. 1200 doo not as snappy as 130 Nytro. If you like the 130ish 4s the best bang for the buck is new 2010 Vector 125ish fuelie. The engine dynos are not in yet but I would think about 130 ponies since Yam 130 is really 138 hp. So I would say #1 2010 Vector then do apples to apples to doo 1200 of your choice. 2010 Vector will be top 10 selling sled & inventory low so good to be early shopping.

anonomoose

Zappie, I own(ed) everything made in 4 stroke and these sled engines start very easy. Even if the starter goes, you can "pull start" with a belt on the primary..they start that easy.

But realistically, when was the last time your car wouldn't start? The reliability of these 4 are way up the ladder.

I gave up the rope start a long time ago. And I sure don't miss the stinky snowsuit at the end of the day either. I have heard nothing but solid praise for the 1200 and that says a lot about an early build of anything that has a skid under it nowadays.

You might want to study the doo-talk site and find some fellas over there who have had these machines and ask some questions.

Not many who make the jump to a 4 stroke, go back to a two. Sort of like the differences between a carb and efi. Once you've been there, your going to like it and stay there.

One thing to note here is the lower revs necessary to get the grunt from the 4 strokers. They don't have to wind to get to the torque.

Take the plunge, and never look back. Once you have done the 4 stroke right....life on a sled becomes easier.

redrev

the apex is not for a tall guy!! the nytro is way better suited i would say since ur knees arent in ur face. the seat height of the nytro and rev seem to be the same. only diff i could find was the xp you could slide feet forward more which i need. if the 1200 is pretty much the same thrill of the nytro i would like that. hate to buy a 1200 if they make one with more power next year.

redrev

im reading that the 1200 isnt a dog and should keep up with nytro and turbo polaris i would say. just would like to find a used one.

skidont

my 09 1200 renegade being my 20th new sled since 1995,I get bored easy,this one will be around here for a long while.I love this sled,no 2 stroke oil,excellent ride and 18 mpg.I'm hooked

redrev

i think i am going to keep my eyes open for a used 1200. might end up trying a 800r just to see if i like the chassis and wait until i find a good price on a 1200. is the throttle pull that bad? hear they are stiff after riding a while.

slimcake

The smell of 2 stroke makes me horny!! Buy a Polaris!! My d7 waxed a hopped up 800rr 09 model on lake gogebic last winter.... What does that tell you?

crskidoo

I bought a 09 800r last year. Slimcake I would say that 800r was hopped way down.. I was out with a group on ice by houghton and no one could touch the 800r. All stock d7, fst750, xps 700, 1200 skidoo, 800mxz. All of these were short tracks and mine is a renegade so who knows just my experience. I do agree about the smell of two stroke.. I'd say go with the 800r you will like the chassis for sure, I would also say you might want to consider the renegade the ride is awesome and great in the deep powder.. Like I said just my thoughts. I don't have any experience around a yamaha so can't help you there but everything I've read says they are great sleds.

redrev

will a renegade fit in a 10ft. 2 place enclosed? my 08 switchback just BARELY fit, had to push snow flap ahead to get it open or it would hold cover down.

indy_500

the renegade is an inch longer but that shouldn't make much difference. if an 08 switchback fit a renegade should. all trailers are made different. what brand trail do you have?

saber

I have a 05 Renegade 600SDI, next year when it is time to trade up it will be a 1200 Renegade. The extra track and taller lug makes a huge difference even when trail riding. There is a reason they sell so many of them, they bridge the bumps better and the back end does not seem to wander side to side as a short track does.

Yes, it will fit in your trailer, I moved the tie down bar forward 1 hole in the trailer frame and it fits just fine.