Bayfield/Valhalla

hothyfax

T-Rod,this is the place to go for a great trip for you and your son.Give Gary a call and book a cabin.You will be glad you did.

woodside

Finally able to post some pics from today.

Attachments

• IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 37

woodside

It was another very good weekend of riding in the Bayfield/Valhalla area. Nothing really has changed other than about 3-5" of fresh snow during the week. Sled traffic was the heaviest of the season as riders finally realized the conditions are good up here. Plus avoid the crowds in the UP and areas to the south and east.

John is saying more of the same with the forecast which means a couple of inches of fresh snow and cold temps the coming week.

We have availability at our cottages. www.woodsidecottages.com

Attachments

• IMG_2333[2].jpg
    IMG_2333[2].jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2332[1].jpg
    IMG_2332[1].jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2331[2].jpg
    IMG_2331[2].jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2335[1].jpg
    IMG_2335[1].jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 44

woodside

There is a good chance the Apostle Islands Ice Caves may be open this coming weekend. Here is what has been posted on Facebook:

'If conditions remain as they are, the ice caves will open on Saturday February 28. Rangers checked the ice today and found the walk to the ice caves very treacherous. Large areas of bare ice create extremely slippery conditions. Near the caves, piles of fractured ice sheets make footing rough and unsteady. Wear sturdy boots with ice cleats on the soles and carry ski poles to prevent slipping. Avoid recently formed cracks in the ice near the base of the cliffs. Do not stand under large icicles. Conditions can change rapidly so check this facebook page or the park's website before coming. (nh)'
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore."

I get questions about riding snowmobiles to the caves. The policy is that snowmobiles must stay more than 1/2 mile the National Island Lakeshore. There is no trail that leads to the access/parking area of the caves. The caves are 1.1 miles from the access/parking area.

I will never trust the ice conditions on Lake Superior thus I will never take my sled on the lake. We drove the Ice Road to Big Bay State Park on Madeline Island Sunday. From the park, it was very easy to see numerous narrow sections of open water or very thin ice.

We have lodging at our cottages if you decide to come on up. The trail conditions are very good.
gary
www.woodsidecottages.com

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

nomus5

Hi Woodside,

Heading toward Ashland this next weekend 3/6. Usually ride the groomed trails from Moquah to Port Wing to Cornucopia and down thru Valhalla and back to Moquah. How are these trails right now? Worth riding next weekend or not unless you get more snow this week? Will they groom everything before the weekend or are some groomers not going out regularly? Do you have any suggestions for us?

THANKS,
Gregg

Polariswoman21

nomus5,

The trails are groomed during the week Randy out of the Pub has been doing a FANTASTIC job this year so this past weekend they were great, the closer you get to the big lake the thinner the snow get's but thats common. I would suggest any of the trails north and around Valhalla, 31,1, 19 and 41 were all good. The fire roads also were good this weekend, just note that some of the fireroads have been used alot this winter due to lack of snow so expect a few rough areas the closer you get to Moquah, and some are also plowed.

With the weather getting warmer in the long range it's week by week so if you get the chance to make a trip I would say do it!

woodside

Spot on Poloriswoman21.

TR1/31/51 between Bayfield and Cornie still need snow to fill in. Maybe tomorrow. The detour around TR1 can be plowed or maybe have a bit of snow. Not a good situation. Lets hope they don't plow it after the snow Tuesday.

Some of our guests went to Moquah and stopped at the Plywood Palace. They said conditions were OK. It gets thin close to the lake.

The third and fourth pic were from the same spot on TR31 north of Valhalla; fourth one on Friday and the other around Sunday noon. It shows how good the trail was after two days of riding.

gary
www.woodsidecottages.com

Attachments

• IMG_2420[1].jpg
    IMG_2420[1].jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2418[1].jpg
    IMG_2418[1].jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2417[1].jpg
    IMG_2417[1].jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2429[1].jpg
    IMG_2429[1].jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 41

woodside

We had lots of fun this weekend enjoying what is left of Winter and the very good conditions. Who knows, maybe we will get dumped on in March.

Attachments

• IMG_2457[1].jpg
    IMG_2457[1].jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2456[2].jpg
    IMG_2456[2].jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2474[1].jpg
    IMG_2474[1].jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2466[1].jpg
    IMG_2466[1].jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2478[2].jpg
    IMG_2478[2].jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 49

woodside

Took the trailer/sleds to Washburn for a hose job today and just for kicks I thought I would head to Valhalla to check on the FR's. Still a good amount of snow and very, very few bare spots and puddles. 52 degrees when I hit the FR around 1PM and the engine temp on the sled was normal. I rode less than 10 miles but it was fun just to get out there one more time.

4" or more is required to ride on the forest areas numbered forest roads that are unplowed. All the Bayfield County trails are closed. Not sure if there is access to the PubNGrub. I parked adjacent to a FR.

Attachments

• IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 45
D

Deleted member 10829

Thanks for all the reports this year woodside! How many miles did you get on? I put 1,900 on the new Axys, 100 on my wife's Indy and 210 on my RMK.

woodside

You did darn good for the lack of snow in your backyard. I know you hit the UP a few times. It was fun riding with you guys early season.

I did around 3500. The 15 Switchback performed very well and did most of the miles with it but the 14 Indy is always a fun sled to ride..

I will send you a PM.