Bayfield/Valhalla

woodside

Had a nice ride with Laura and Jonathon out of www.woodsidecottages.com today. The FR's were good to excellent with 6-7" of fresh snow and the few trails we rode were fair to very good.

The trails that are on forest roads (TR19, 51, 31N, 40) provide good riding and have a solid base but the ones going through the woods need another 6" of wet snow to fill in the holes, ruts, etc.

Only saw about 6 other sleds and broke trail on many of the FR's. IMG_3072.JPG IMG_3071.JPG IMG_3070.JPG

woodside

FR riding has been very good and trails have been groomed and range from fair to very good. We rode Saturday and will be going out again starting Friday.

NWS is calling for 2-5" through Wednesday morning. 1" of light snow thus far.

rlspol

Woodside
Is there enough snow to come from Brule via trail#1 into Portwing? I know there are options out of Portwing to get away from the lake into better snow. Thanks in advance for information.

vmax1994

Closures:

– Trail 4 east in the Mason area is temporarily closed from the point where trail 63 hits Wilson Road all the way to Ashland County until further notice.

– Trail 31S in Barnes is currently closed between Seeley Fire Lane and 43 Rd due to unsafe trail conditions. (I think this part has opened)

– Trail 1 near Port Wing: Due to a new round of heavy logging on private property, the portion of snowmobile 1 from highway 13 east of Port Wing to Touve RD. will be closed until further notice. At this time there is no viable reroute.

– Trail 63 in the Cable Area: Trail 63 just south of the intersection with Trail 70 south of the town of Cable is closed until further notice.

woodside

Woodside
Is there enough snow to come from Brule via trail#1 into Portwing? I know there are options out of Portwing to get away from the lake into better snow. Thanks in advance for information.

Sorry but I can't help you with your question. We do not ride that area as snow conditions there are usually far less than the Bayfield/Valhalla area.

Our group of 11 rode today and had excellent riding on the FR's which had up to 6" of fresh snow. We spent the morning and early afternoon on FR's ans saw no other sleds. There is up to 20" of snow in the woods and on old logging roads that no one rides but us.

We rode trails after a lunch stop at the PubNGrub and saw only 3 sleds all afternoon. The trails we rode TR31/1/51 (all north of Valhalla and west of Bayfield) were good to excellent.

There about 15-20 sleds at the Pub so traffic was very light probably due to the cold weather.

No pics as I forgot my phone at home.

GTL

I just got back from that area and I would say ---- ride to Iron River and then north. The trail from Port to Herbster is closed, and the snow is lean west of Port.

jdw1

Sorry but I can't help you with your question. We do not ride that area as snow conditions there are usually far less than the Bayfield/Valhalla area.

Our group of 11 rode today and had excellent riding on the FR's which had up to 6" of fresh snow. We spent the morning and early afternoon on FR's ans saw no other sleds. There is up to 20" of snow in the woods and on old logging roads that no one rides but us.

We rode trails after a lunch stop at the PubNGrub and saw only 3 sleds all afternoon. The trails we rode TR31/1/51 (all north of Valhalla and west of Bayfield) were good to excellent.

There about 15-20 sleds at the Pub so traffic was very light probably due to the cold weather.

No pics as I forgot my phone at home.

The Pub n Grub, that’s funny, I looked at there camera shot the other day and it showed a dirt parking lot, probably “technical difficulties”! I know there’s snow up there! Ride on!

LoveMyDobe

It was just posted on Bayfield Co Snowmobile Alliance FB page that the gates on trail 1 between Herbster and Port Wing are open.

candyman

View attachment 57918 View attachment 57919 View attachment 57920 Covered 111 miles of FRs and a combination of trails with Nick, Ashley, and RD, riding from Butterfield Rd thru the Barrens to Iron River and back. A mix of fair, good, & excellent...the best being in the northern section of Bayfield County. Just a heads-up: Trail 43 had not been groomed. Saw about 15 - 20 sleds on the trails. P.S. Missed you today, Woodside!
www.woodsidecottages.com

Last edited:

LoveMyDobe

I rode today and saw a lot of sled between IR and PubnGrub. Trail 43 wasn't bad compared to the Battle Axe trail, all other trails were very good.

rlspol

We are going to be up in that area this week, with snow in the out look and grooming for the week, hope it improves. Seems like 31 heading north is always so,so. Not sure if its because of traffic or grooming schedule

gws

If you go to the PubnGrub website - In the upper left corner it has the link to the new web cam - trails were good Saturday and Sunday

woodside

We are going to be up in that area this week, with snow in the out look and grooming for the week, hope it improves. Seems like 31 heading north is always so,so. Not sure if its because of traffic or grooming schedule

TR31N or the Pub and Valhalla area towards Bayfield was good Friday and was just groomed. TR31 north of Iron River towards Valhalla can get a bit worn and needs a good amount of snow as it gets most of the the IR to Valhalla traffic.

TR3 north from IR and then TR40 east to the Valhalla area is usually a better option. Unless you ride the FR's which is what we do when we ride to the IR area.

woodside

Missed you too Candyman and looks like you guys had a good ride.
Lets go out Wednesday and do some brushing and signs with the warmer weather.

MorganKoda

Definitely better riding north of HWY 2 this last weekend. Mostly due to better snow conditions. TR31 on both Friday and Sunday was in pretty good conditions IMHO considering early season snow and the amount of traffic that trail gets. I think 6 - 12" of snow and the entire Bayfield County will be in great condition.

Last edited:

rlspol

FR roads are in the plan, know the area fairly well but haven't been in the area as much as pervious years. Sometimes get a wrench thrown at ya when a FR is plowed that wasn't in the past. South of IR to Barnes used to be great for FR, but then they started plowing them all.

Anyway, its all going to be better than where I am at now...................

woodside

FR roads are in the plan, know the area fairly well but haven't been in the area as much as pervious years. Sometimes get a wrench thrown at ya when a FR is plowed that wasn't in the past. South of IR to Barnes used to be great for FR, but then they started plowing them all.

Anyway, its all going to be better than where I am at now...................

FR248/245 going east of TR3 were both good Saturday. Then head north which can be a bit tricky unless you know the FR's we... We ride 31N as little as possible. Head to the east side of the forest and take FR697 north up just about to Cty C then TR31 to the Pub for gas/food/bev.

One forecast calls for 6-10" Wednesday into Thursday. If so conditions in the Bayfield/Valhalla area will be prime!!

rlspol

FR248/245 going east of TR3 were both good Saturday. Then head north which can be a bit tricky unless you know the FR's we... We ride 31N as little as possible. Head to the east side of the forest and take FR697 north up just about to Cty C then TR31 to the Pub for gas/food/bev.

One forecast calls for 6-10" Wednesday into Thursday. If so conditions in the Bayfield/Valhalla area will be prime!!

Thanks for info Woodside, we will be on them Friday, maybe we will run into you at Pub and Grub