Bayfield/Valhalla

WorkHardPlayHrd

The picture you are showing are the ones by Corny right, because no we went nowhere near there! If we take the kids up I meant the ice formations we saw between Bayfield and Washburn. Don't want to take the kids anywhere dangerous.

woodside

I will jump in. You are correct about the Ice Caves near Corny. But as you found out, there are numerous other places that have interesting shorelines.

A couple of other things to consider when riding the Big Lake. All motorized vehicles must remain 1/2 mile from the shore in the Apostle Island National Lakeshore area which is where the magnificent Ice Caves that you mentioned are located as well as proximity to the islands. https://www.nps.gov/apis/index.htm The area that you rode is not a part of that designated area.

Its common for ice fishermen/women and others to venture out on Lake Superior. However, as I stated, the lake in very unpredictable and is worthy of full respect. There are places near shore where streams enter thus the ice can be very thin. Its wise to know where those places are and go out further from shore. Ice heaves are common as well.

My attempt is not to scare you away but rather to encourage you to be well informed and cautious.

woodside

Candyman, **** and I put on 110 miles this afternoon west of Bayfield and north and west of Valhalla. The trails are flat and firm so scratchers were used the first hour then no need. We rode TR19, 41, 1 towards Cornie then TR1 east towards Bayfield then TR31 back south to TR19. Conditions were excellent except TR1 near Cornie which is a difficult trail to maintain unless there is fresh snow. TR1 in the Cornie area was fair and had a few bare spots on some corners and in need of grooming. TR40 west of Valhalla was excellent and TRs 31&33 just south of Valhalla were good to excellent with a few bare spots on sun exposed slopes. Access in/out of the PubNGrub from the north and south is good.

There will be no grooming until the area gets fresh snow. But there is plenty of snow right now and the base on the trails is solid with a few exceptions as mentioned.

We did ride a few FR's and they have softened since last weekend with the warm sun beating down on them. The base is deep and we found a few that had 4-6" of snow on the edges along with a couple of old logging trails that have not seen any sleds for awhile. We managed to not get stuck.

The first pic shows a groomed trail and the others are from the FR's and old logging trails.

BTW, we saw zero sleds today so we had the whole area to ourselves!!

Temps will cool down the next two days and then back to 40 or so on Saturday. Those looking for a good ride, make the trip up this way. It will be worth the drive. IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3430.JPG IMG_3431.JPG IMG_3434.JPG

Last edited:

woodside

Exactly. The area west of Bayfield, north and west of and about 5 miles south of Valhalla still has some great riding opportunities. Grooming has ceased but the trails are fine and the FR's have a solid base. It sounds as though the southern half of Bayfield County is pretty much done.

Candyman at www.woodsidecottages.com has great places to stay and is always ready to ride.

woodside

Here is the latest notice from Bayfield County regarding current trail conditions. We plan on riding a bit tomorrow afternoon and also on Sunday afternoon then dinner at the PubNGrub. There is a good base on FR's. The trails will have no base at road crossings and also on most exposed south slopes but are still rideable. It helps to know the area.

"Hey Everyone, The Great Divide Ranger district has started closing gates in Namakagon so we are going to go ahead and close all trails South of Highway 2. Since the snow seems to be holding in the north we’re leaving those open for one more weekend. Here is what I just posted to snowtracks:

With warmer temperatures in the forecast and the sun getting stronger, this will be the last weekend for riding in Bayfield County North of Highway 2. All trails south of Highway 2 are closed as of Thursday March 22[SUP]nd[/SUP]. Additionally, Trail 13 South of Washburn to the Tri-County Corridor is also closed. All other trails north of Highway 2 will remain open for this weekend. All trails in Bayfield County will close Monday, March 26[SUP]th[/SUP]. Groomers have suspended grooming so I don’t have area specific reports. Generally, the snow is holding in the wooded areas and areas that had a good base. However, road crossings, road routes, and trails along roads all have patchy to no snow cover. With the freeze thaw happening expect some icy spots and corners. This is late season riding so expect variable conditions and be safe!"

woodside

Had a nice 60 mile ride yesterday with Candyman IMG_3474.jpg to wrap up the season as the trails in the Bayfield/Valhalla area officially close today. Trails were 98% good to very good even though the area hasn't had any snow since the first of March. The forest roads can be used as long as there is at least 4" of snow. Right now, the FR's have a very good base. But for us, its time to wrap it up.