Bear Belly Bar and Grill closed permanently

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just saw their announcement on their Facebook page. The bar and grill is being closed permanently.

Thanks a lot Whitmer!

1fujifilm

I just saw their announcement on their Facebook page. The bar and grill is being closed permanently.

Thanks a lot Whitmer!

This is bad/sad news. Basically my favorite stop after a ride north from Houghton via trail 3 over Brockway, through Copper Harbor and back south on 134, 135 and 133 to the B.B. for gas a grub.

Bear

slimcake

Ya Fuji I think that was about the best food stop up there. What did you say about the chili?? This is terrible news. I really hope they reconsider....

Very bad news. Always a great place to eat. Unfortunately this is probably only the beginning of permanent closures all over the upper Midwest and even the country.

legend02

Completely blows I really like that place was their last February on my last trip to the Peninsula

1fujifilm

Ya Fuji I think that was about the best food stop up there. What did you say about the chili?? This is terrible news. I really hope they reconsider....

Weird combo but my favorite combo was a chicken Caesar salad with a bowl of chili.
The cook/chef had experience from a larger city, it showed.

Bear

sweeperguy

Sad day. I'll miss it. Love their chili.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope they have the chili at the store deli.

sweeperguy

Here is their entire post

It is with great sadness we are announcing the closure of The Bear Belly Bar and Grill. It has been a pleasure and an honor to serve the wonderful residents of the Keweenaw, as well as the visitors to our beautiful area for the past 20 years. Prior to the onset of COVID-19, restaurant business was booming and closing the Bear Belly was probably the furthest thing from our minds. However, sometimes things happen that are out of your control that changes the course of your business and industry. This is certainly one of those times.

After weeks of analyzing and assessing the situation, we feel it is best to downsize our operation to running and focusing on the Lac La Belle Lodge and Store. We will still rent the cabins, docks, and boats, as well as have an upgraded convenience store with an emphasis on our new grab and go selection of food options. David Menominee, our kitchen manager the past 19 years, will be staying on with us to ensure that we will have some of the Bear Belly favorites available in the convenience store to go. We will also be offering Gabby's homemade pies and other assorted fresh baked goods. More of what we will have available will be updated on this site soon!

We want to sincerely thank all of our hardworking employees throughout the years. Without the wonderful service they provided, there would have not been the excellent food and great atmosphere that our customers had come to rely on. Thank you to our vendors that worked with us and countless times delivered above and beyond to make sure we had the supplies we needed to serve our customers. Most of all, thank you to all our great customers who visited us time and time again to make the Bear Belly truly what it was: a beautiful bar and grill that catered to all who wanted to come and have a great time and excellent food with family and friends. We will truly miss serving you!

We plan to be opening the store in mid to later June, we will post an update as soon as we know the exact date. We are able to rent cabins starting June 8th as the stay at home mandate is lifted then.

Thank you for all your support, we hope to see you soon!
-Troy and Cathy Westcott

eagle1

Total bummer........hope they reconsider come fall!!!! Maybe we should start a petition to keep it open!!

frnash

Favorite place to stop when going up and around the thumb. Will be greatly missed. Always good food, and always seemed to be busy.
The thumb? Well that's a new one, I sure have never heard of the Lac La Belle area referred to as "The Thumb".

I guess I don't no nuthin' 'bout joggerfy [sic], but I kin "lurn sumptin' new ever day" [sic].
c.f. (click →) Wikipedia: The Thumb | Thumb counties.
LMI-Thumb.jpg
Dat sure looks like a Thumb!