Bear Belly Bar and Grill closed permanently

formeryooper1

frnash,
Some people have referred to the UP as another (da utter) hand as a match to the mitten. Hand is sideways, Keweenaw the thumb and the pinky finger is folded or sumting like dat.
A rabbit with the Keweenaw as the ears is another probably more accepted reference.

frnash

frnash,
Some people have referred to the UP as another (da utter) hand as a match to the mitten. Hand is sideways, Keweenaw the thumb and the pinky finger is folded or sumting like dat.
A rabbit with the Keweenaw as the ears is another probably more accepted reference.
Yep, absolutely. It is as obviously a rabbit as the "Thumb" is a thumb!

It's a rabbit leaping from east to west over the lower peninsula's "mitten", with its nose at the mouth of the Montreal River, its eyebrows at the Porkies (do "wabbits have eyebwows"?), its ears are the Keweenaw (where'ja think "Rabbit Bay" got its name?), its humped back is at the Huron Mountains, its cottontail at Whitefish Point, its rear legs are stretched out to De Tour Village in Chippewa County, and its forelegs reach down to Memominee.

There are even some "dangly bits" down toward Garden and Fairport on the Garden Peninsula that suggest that it is a male rabbit! (Although I'm not sure how anatomically accurate that is!) [Ahem!] :eagerness:<ahem!>
11671.jpg
I may be wetiewed in Awizona, but I still know wabbits! </ahem!>

frnash

Sometimes I think that you are just trying to be difficult😈.
Maybe someone is.

I'll tell ya this — I've never heard any "Yooper", or anyone from the "Copper Country" ever refer to the Keweenaw as "The Thumb", only "Trolls" (folks that live "under" da "Big Mac" bridge) or folks from elsewhere that have never been there.

Maybe you've never seen a wabbit, er… rabbit?
Bugs Bunny JPG.jpg
Not even on da farm? Whuteva. :indecisiveness:

snomoman

OK back to the topic, I went to this place only one time, remember parking the snowmobiles in the back and walking down a hallway to get to the dining area, what I really remember was they had these little rubber boots that were on each leg of their chairs to make sure that they wouldn’t scratch the hardwood floors I guess, they for some reason didn’t stay on and were all over the floor, when we left there was a big huge sign that said something like “do not cut across the lake to get to the trail” unfortunately I guess we couldn’t read that day LOL

Last edited:

WorkHardPlayHrd

Maybe someone is.

I'll tell ya this — I've never heard any "Yooper", or anyone from the "Copper Country" ever refer to the Keweenaw as "The Thumb", only "Trolls" (folks that live "under" da "Big Mac" bridge) or folks from elsewhere that have never been there.

Maybe you've never seen a wabbit, er… rabbit?
View attachment 61907
Not even on da farm? Whuteva. :indecisiveness:

The way I got the term "The Thumb " was from my Grandfather. Born in Calumet in 1923. His Father was a copper miner and a stone smith. The fountain at Lakeview Cemetery outside of Calumet was made by him, along with another one in Calumet.

He joined the CCC at 17 by hopping trains to get to Marquette. He originally was posted at Isle Royale, but when he showed an interest in Morse code was transferred to Sault Ste. Marie for training. Joined the army and was put in X-mountain division and was in World War II as part of the Italian Campaign.

After WWII he stayed in X-mountain being posted in places like Sault Ste. Marie, Munising, and Colorado. After hitting 20 years he took a job as an air traffic controller in La Crosse until he retired. He passed in 2014 at 91.

Every year he went back up to Calumet to see his mother, and after she passed to visit cousins. He always would say "see you when I get back from the thumb." So I'm sorry if my copper country, yopper native Grandfather wasn't completely correct by your terms. He was always reserved and didn't talk much around us kids. I drew the unlucky straw on the first trip we took up to Calumet with him. Thought I'd spend the whole trip in a car with nothing to talk about. So I asked him what his childhood was like. He didn't stop talking for 2 hours. I rode the whole way up and back with him. The history of the area was fascinating to me and that trip forged a relationship with my grandfather that I never thought I would have. He instilled in me his love for the entire upper peninsula, and I got him hooked on Jeff Foxworthy.

And as to rabbits, my kids are currently raising two orphaned cottontails. So yes I get to see those to.

slimcake

OK back to the topic, I went to this place only one time, remember parking the snowmobiles in the back and walking down a hallway to get to the dining area, what I really remember was they had these little rubber boots that were on each leg of their chairs to make sure that they wouldn’t scratch the hardwood floors I guess, they for some reason didn’t stay on and were all over the floor, when we left there was a big huge sign that said something like “do not cut across the lake to get to the trail” unfortunately I guess we couldn’t read that day LOL

They had booties, little socks almost looked handmade, on the legs of the chairs. Pretty neat if you ask me. Also that sign was for your safety. That water in front of Bear Belly never freezes decent. Most years its open all year. Glad you made it ok. I am still very disappointed that they closed the restaurant. Man they had good food!!

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member

Well that's to bad, it's snowmobilers like you that ruin it for the rest of us. You can read, and that sign is there for a reason.

snomoman

Well that's to bad, it's snowmobilers like you that ruin it for the rest of us. You can read, and that sign is there for a reason.

Sorry there skylar, I was last to leave in the pack because us seniors need to facilitate (piss) more than the young ones, when I got outside and on my sled, everybody had already started out on the lake, I guess I could’ve gone around on the road but then again I would’ve been way behind and would maybe of been lost, Honestly it wasn’t my choice but I had to follow everybody in front of me and they all went on the lake before me, my mistake for making it out to be funny, sorry to offend you, guess I made a mistake in your eyes....I will have to be more careful in what I post on this site without offending anyone in the future...don’t want to be thought of as someone who disobeys signs

Last edited:

frnash

WHPH: I'm really glad that our silly quibble about "Thumbs" and "Rabbits" brought us to this point.
The way I got the term "The Thumb " was from my Grandfather. Born in Calumet in 1923. His Father was a copper miner and a stone smith. The fountain at Lakeview Cemetery outside of Calumet was made by him, along with another one in Calumet.

He joined the CCC at 17 by hopping trains to get to Marquette. He originally was posted at Isle Royale, but when he showed an interest in Morse code was transferred to Sault Ste. Marie for training. Joined the army and was put in X-mountain division and was in World War II as part of the Italian Campaign.

After WWII he stayed in X-mountain being posted in places like Sault Ste. Marie, Munising, and Colorado. After hitting 20 years he took a job as an air traffic controller in La Crosse until he retired. He passed in 2014 at 91.

Every year he went back up to Calumet to see his mother, and after she passed to visit cousins. He always would say "see you when I get back from the thumb." So I'm sorry if my copper country, yopper [sic] native Grandfather wasn't completely correct by your terms. He was always reserved and didn't talk much around us kids. I drew the unlucky straw on the first trip we took up to Calumet with him. Thought I'd spend the whole trip in a car with nothing to talk about. So I asked him what his childhood was like. He didn't stop talking for 2 hours. I rode the whole way up and back with him. The history of the area was fascinating to me and that trip forged a relationship with my grandfather that I never thought I would have. He instilled in me his love for the entire upper peninsula, and I got him hooked on Jeff Foxworthy.

And as to rabbits, my kids are currently raising two orphaned cottontails. So yes I get to see those to.
'Cuz I have now had a chance to meet (by proxy) your Grandfather. I certainly would have enjoyed meeting him in person — a member of the Greatest Generation¹ with many talents and an adventurous spirit. I wish I could have tagged along on that car trip with him talking for 2 hours about what his childhood was like!

I see that your Grandfather, and mine, Frans (Frank) E. Nara and my great uncle …
(click →) J. W. Nara were "Copper Country contemporaries".

Furthermore, as noted in the above article, my grandfather (Frank E. Nara) worked in his brother J.W. (Bill) Nara's photo studio.

While not exactly "hopping trains to get to Marquette at 17 years of age", my Grandpa was born in Alatornio, Finland, and sailed on the Majestic out of Liverpool, England, arriving in the U.S. in December 1904 at 19 years of age, to work in "Old Bill's" photo studio.

When it turned out that he was allergic to the photographic chemicals, he left the photo business to homestead on a dairy farm in Bruce Crossing in the late 1920's (that farm is still in the family today). As a kid, I had the good fortune to spend nearly every summer vacation on that farm, so you and I have dairy farming in common as well!

¹ Greatest Generation: As our involvement in seemingly endless war in the middle east goes on and on for decades, I appreciate ever more what that Greatest Generation accomplished in one short but bloody year from D-Day (June 6, 1944) to the German unconditional surrender on May 8, 1945.

There are days when I would contemplate finally giving up with those middle eastern ungovernables, and just turn most of the middle east into an uninhabitable glowing place in the desert that will be seen from space for several hundred years!

P.S. Sorry, I can not resist the urge to make just one nit pick re: "yopper":
It's "Yoop-er" (rhymes with "Trooper", not "Yopp-er" (rhymes with Copper?)!