Best snowmobiling memories.....chime in!

tomx

OK so I've got the fever with the cold weather coming down. It makes me think of choice rides from the not too distant past.
My riding bud and I are coming down trail 107 on a Saturday around 2pm last year. I'm thinking ...."It's afternoon on a Saturday in the middle of the season the trails will already be gnawed if no beat up. To my surprise we were attacking those sweepers at 80 plus on fresh groom and loving every minute of it. I had to stop and tell my bud " It doesn't get any better than this!". He agreed. Tell your story.

cooksend

Riding on the back of the old RolloFlex with my dad on the way to our annual snowmobile club get together! PRICELESS...

600_RMK_144

Several years back, my father and law and I were super lucky and got to break trail on some awesome fresh powder on a couple old Indy 500’s. His was a dog, but mine ripped. I can still remember screaming in my helmet as we were floating through that stuff. I’m sure many have done this hundreds of times, but for us in IA, it was a first and it got me hooked. Started my sled fund that night and just finally bought my first sled last year. Wierd that we've been out so many times since, but this specific ride sticks in my head to this day.

Last edited:

Go Fast or Go Home

The best ride was when my son got to go on his own sled for the first time. The next best ride was when the younger brother got to do the same. They are now both in their mid 20s and easily out ride me.

L

lenny

the single most memorable trip was in 03 before I moved up here. Me and a few close friends were riding logging roads at night when there was lots of fresh snow and it started snowing so hard and accumulated so fast. We stayed they for 2 hrs just letting the snow fall and talking, good friends is the best part of it.

durphee

I remember seeing my friends truck back into my driveway with my "new" sled. After many years of borrowing/renting I finally had enough money for my own. Pull starting that Cat for the first time, I couldn't stop smiling! 5,000 miles later im still riding the same sled looking forward to many, many more miles.

bearrassler

Any ride is a great ride to me. Riding for almost 50 years I could tell stories for a year so I will go with my last ride in late March this year. Two of us were going to trailer from Grand Forks to Fourtown, MN and ride for the day. We left Grand Forks a little later than we had planned and had gone about 40 miles in the vehicle when my brother called me from our store. He asked me if I had gotten a new helmet because mine was still in Grand Forks. I didn't want to go back and get it and we were just a few miles out of Their River Falls so I figured I would stop at RV Sports and see what they had for helmets. They didn't have any that fit me that I liked so I asked if Randy (the owner) was in as I know him pretty well. He was out that day so I asked if they had any helmets in the service dept that I could rent. They had an old full face that had about 2 or 3 years of dust on it. It did not fit to bad and they told me to use it for free. They were going to dust it off but I said that I could handle that. They were going to be closed when we came back through so they said to put it in the box of the shop truck. We were off again and put on 280 miles that day and the riding was great. It was a great way to end a great year even though it was a rough start to the day. Here is a picture of the borrowed helmet.

. last ride 3-28-13 011.jpg

T

Team Elkhorn

I have the fondest memories of snowmobiling with the family. Both while I was growing up, (helping mark the trails, getting my first sled, etc). And later on, riding with my wife and our kids as they were growing up.
Last winter, the memory that stands out was watching the grandkids riding the Kitty Kat for the first time on snow on Christmas Eve. :)
View attachment 42171

Banjo Man

Riding with my son at 2 years old saddled in front of me on my old 1 up Pantera and then behind me at 4 or 5 years old on a 2 up Indy Trail. Now he's 25 and pulled in my driveway with an enclosed trailer with 2 sleds he just bought. Times have changed but all for the better.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Tons of great ones, but the "best" is hard to pick. Hopefully it is still in the future and includes one or more of my girls!

-John

Pizza Man

Our first trip to Mohawk in December of 1978.
A friend of ours worked in H/H during the winter testing snowblowers for Kohler co.
He told us about all the snow they get so what better place for the first ride of the season
We stayed at the White House Motel in Mohawk.
We got up there on friday and they had about 100 inches of snow .
The first day we went south and made it as far as the VFW club in South Range.
While we were there, a member of the SR snowmobile club asked us if we would pack down the snow around the club house as they were having a dog sled race there on Saturday.
We met him and did it.
The next day we tried to get from Mohawk to Copper Harbor.
As we left Mohawk the snow was coming over the hood of our sleds. I had a new Yamaha SRX and had to kneel on the seat to see.
About 5 miles out of Mohawk we met the groomer(was run by the DNR then).
They had a v plow on it to get the snow off the trail.
They asked us where we were going and we told them CH.
Said we were nuts and wouldn't make it unless we took 41 up.
Told us to go to the next crossroad, go to 41 and head north
We did make it to CH. The people at the gas station were surprised until we told them the story as to how we got there.
At that time not many people lived there during the winter so we had a snax at the station, gassed up and headed back to Mohawk the same way we got there.
The next day we headed back to the SR snowmobile club and had a ball there.
Sunday we left for home and the total snowfall by then in the 125 inch range.
As many of you know , that ended up to be the Winter of the Big Snow and the Totem Pole was put up to honor it.

L

lenny

Riding with my son at 2 years old saddled in front of me on my old 1 up Pantera and then behind me at 4 or 5 years old on a 2 up Indy Trail. Now he's 25 and pulled in my driveway with an enclosed trailer with 2 sleds he just bought. Times have changed but all for the better.

I like that one a lot. Remember their helmets banging your helmet? I took my oldest son Daniel on a ride out in Grand lake Colorado and he fell a sleep while on the sled. I had to hold him up a little,,,lol,,,,

600_RMK_144

I like that one a lot. Remember their helmets banging your helmet? I took my oldest son Daniel on a ride out in Grand lake Colorado and he fell a sleep while on the sled. I had to hold him up a little,,,lol,,,,

Agreed. Can't wait to do the same with my son. Got all the gear now, so we are ready to go! Currently he wears the helmet while playing "Monster Jam" on the Wii, waiting for a chance for us to get out.

Pizza Man

My first snowmobile was a 1974 Evinrude 650 and I had a backrest put on it.
That was so all 4 of us could go riding.
My youngest son(4 years old) in front of me, then me, then my other son(8 years old) and then my wife.
We rode like that for the first year and then I bought a Evinrude sled the next year for pulling the kids in.
From there it went to 2 sleds and then up to 4.

srt20

Some of my fondest memories are of back when I first started out going up north riding. Nobody had any $$$, we rode used up beat up sleds, had trucks and trailers that we weren't sure would make it up north. Stayed in the cheapest crappiest motels, and sometimes the heat or hot water wasn't very warm. And despite all this, we loved every minute of it.

Now it's fun, but I don't think we have that same wide eyed excitement. We know what to expect, and have enough $$$ to have good sleds and good gear.

All part of growing up I guess....lol

warner

back in the mid 90's i worked for an arctic cat dealer..every year we would take the customers that bought new sleds up north on a trip around eagle river, this particular year there wasn't any snow so we had to trailer to the u.p.....had to go all the way to copper harbor, they only had 6" on the ground so we found some lodging and then found the Mariner North !! we stayed there all night drinking and having a blast, closing time came so we had to settle up the bar tab.......1200.00 bucks it was and thats no sheet..........boy did we have fun!!

indy_500

Some of my fondest memories are of back when I first started out going up north riding. Nobody had any $$$, we rode used up beat up sleds, had trucks and trailers that we weren't sure would make it up north. Stayed in the cheapest crappiest motels, and sometimes the heat or hot water wasn't very warm. And despite all this, we loved every minute of it.

Now it's fun, but I don't think we have that same wide eyed excitement. We know what to expect, and have enough $$$ to have good sleds and good gear.

All part of growing up I guess....lol
Definatly makes it all the more fun 2 years ago we ran up there with my $1600 pickup worked like a charm every time lol we got nicer stuff now but still find ourselves driving out of our way to stay at my buddies cabin for free and making multiple stops at Mac dons to eat off the dollar menu and finish it with a water cup. After all were up there to ride not sleep and eat!

Last year was a great year for me. Got the wife to go with the boys and i for a family trip to the UP and she enjoyed it then shortly after the oldest boys' first big ride to the local watering hole for supper on his Yammi Bravo.