Biggest year in modern snowmobiling

tomx

Ok sled heads. Tell me the most significant year in modern snowmobiling. It's pretty obvious to me . I'll post my opinion after a few responses

snoden

So many...IFS, REV rider forward platform, EFI, 4 strokes and now the technology era. My first thought though was the REV rider forward platform.

snobuilder

Oil injection, high performance 4stroke engines, power steering and in another realm,....push button reverse.

2024 Cat alyst....

Last edited:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have to go with REV, Rider Forward, that was a game changer. Honorable Mention to Circa 1970 with 100 different brands and really the beginning of snowmobiling by the masses. Everybody was DOOing It!

(SnoGoer)
Are you wondering which snowmobile manufacturers were the most well known in the ‘70s? Without claiming completeness some of these brands were as follows:
  • Ariens
  • Arctic Cat
  • Boa-Ski
  • Brutanza
  • Chaparral
  • Evinrude
  • FAST Blade
  • Johnson
  • John Deere
  • Kawasaki
  • Harley-Davidson
  • Honda
  • Mercury
  • Moto-Ski
  • Ski-Doo
  • Sno Jet
  • Suzuki
  • Scorpion
  • Rupp

heckler56

I'd have to go with REV, Rider Forward, that was a game changer. Honorable Mention to Circa 1970 with 100 different brands and really the beginning of snowmobiling by the masses. Everybody was DOOing It!

(SnoGoer)
Are you wondering which snowmobile manufacturers were the most well known in the ‘70s? Without claiming completeness some of these brands were as follows:
  • Ariens
  • Arctic Cat
  • Boa-Ski
  • Brutanza
  • Chaparral
  • Evinrude
  • FAST Blade
  • Johnson
  • John Deere
  • Kawasaki
  • Harley-Davidson
  • Honda
  • Mercury
  • Moto-Ski
  • Ski-Doo
  • Sno Jet
  • Suzuki
  • Scorpion
  • Rupp
You forgot Homelite. Well, maybe not popular and only made a couple years, basically a rebadged Polaris.

indy_500

03 hands down. Rider forward, 4 stroke technology, all changed the future. Even the firecat was a heck of a fun ride (fast). Polaris was a lame duck in that time period unfortunately.

wiharley02

"Modern" means way different things to the folks on this board, we have a wide range of ages represented! For my age and what I grew up riding, I'll echo some of the above, the release of the Gen 1 REV chassis was the biggest game changer I've seen in my time. Ski Doo pretty much hit it out of the park with that release (except for the beavertail snow flap and the "precision" skis)!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recall looking at the first Rev in the showroom..... First off, there's no hood. How do you get to the engine, side panels? And the Beaver Tail thingy, what's going on with that? And as a whole, ergonomics were different when we sat on it.

Very different and I believe it was the biggest one-year change in snowmobiling history.

rph130

I will join the majority and say 2003 Skidoo. Saw the rider forward as a game and comfort changer and I went out and bought 2 MXZ's. A 600 for my wife with the optional 2 up seat for the kids and an 800 for myself. We still have both of them and use as reserve and guest sleds. 20 year old sleds that both have about 4000 miles on them.

mezz

There have been soo many BIG years in modern snowmobiling, however the term "modern" is to be interpreted. One could look at the advancements in suspensions both front & rear including the slide rail. Plastic skis, the introduction of the smart shocks in 2000 (which were an expensive pita). IFS to AWS & long travel rear suspensions. EFI, push button reverse, diamond drive vs chain case. 4 stroke engines, high output twin two strokes, turbos. I would have to agree with the rider forward design as a huge improvement as well, but, all of the advancements made in sleds over the years, it is diffiicult for me to say which was the "biggest" because all of them are huge changes & sleds wouldn't be what they are today without any of them, including a trail system.

Last edited: