Black Hills

ryanslyne

Thanks for the information. There is also a nice article in the January 2019 Snowgoer about the Black Hills riding. I think they rode about the same time that Woodside was out there last year. They pointed out a few "must see" spots and I hope the conditions are as good in early February this year. I realize it's a hit or miss deal like any riding. It's the first trip west of Wisconsin for me and my two sons. Really looking forward to it! I will check back as we get closer to the trip to see if anyone on this site has ridden BH this year.

How was your trip? The wife and I did our first trip to BH a couple seasons ago and it was excellent. We moved up to West Yellowstone this year. But I have this on my list of places to get back to. Looks like they will get hit with another good storm this week according to John.

RS

bayfly

How was your trip? The wife and I did our first trip to BH a couple seasons ago and it was excellent. We moved up to West Yellowstone this year. But I have this on my list of places to get back to. Looks like they will get hit with another good storm this week according to John.

RS
The scenery, riding, and accommodations were outstanding. Didn't hit a bump on the trail in over 200 miles. The drive out and back was less than ideal. We left Green Bay in freezing rain. Next was snow, high winds and 50 below wind chills. Once we got out there it was great. But one of our group was flying out and never made it due to weather. the trip back again included snow, freezing rain, etc. I will go back again, maybe next year. But will probably not drive straight through again.

renegade

Not by sled. No trails go that far south or east. But they are open by vehicle. At least mt. Rushmore. I'm just researching this now as we are thinking of heading out there for spring break.

Hoosier

For those who have been out there - do you find enough riding to do for 4-5 days? We were looking into going out there in February this year but went another direction. From the reports, the conditions were excellent.

Also, do you find you need to change up clutch weights? Seems like the elevation is enough you'd be better off doing it.

elf

For those who have been out there - do you find enough riding to do for 4-5 days? We were looking into going out there in February this year but went another direction. From the reports, the conditions were excellent.

Also, do you find you need to change up clutch weights? Seems like the elevation is enough you'd be better off doing it.

Having been out there several times I think you'd find 3-4 days is plenty. We've combined it with a trip to the Big Horns before, 3 days in each. There's lot of forest road riding to do and a fair amount of off trail if you're adventurous. As far as clutching some people say no but I always clutched for 6-8000'.

old abe

Having been out there several times I think you'd find 3-4 days is plenty. We've combined it with a trip to the Big Horns before, 3 days in each. There's lot of forest road riding to do and a fair amount of off trail if you're adventurous. As far as clutching some people say no but I always clutched for 6-8000'.

Agree, X2. Black Hills 2 to 3 days. Sometimes that's all you get!

renegade

Last time I was out there I changed my jets and adjusted my TRA but didn't change weights. But that was 20 years ago.

600_RMK_144

Jetting is required (if running carbs). Clutch weights you can typically get away with keeping sea level. Might not be pulling max RPMs but most do not mind. I keep a set in the trailer just in case, but have never needed to change them out. Made two trips out there this season and five times throughout the years. My absolute favorite place to ride. My biggest advice would be that you can't "plan" a trip to The Hills as they can be very un-predictable on snow. Their last two seasons have been awesome, but hit / miss prior years. If you want to ride good pow out there you have to pull the trigger when they get a good dump. And... You can't go by the in-town forecasts (Lead, Deadwood or Rapid City). There is a significant elevation change --- in-town may get a dusting while they get 12+" up on The Hill. Call the local resorts for a good report or watch Trailshead Lodge webcam.
Regarding # of days, three is tops unless a big storm roles in later part of your trip. There are 350 miles of trails, but some are not full loops, so you do have to back-track / re-ride the same trails to get from here to there a fair amount of time. That said, the trails are absolutely AMAZING so re-riding them is not a problem. Trail 2c down to 2k is our fav - Goes into the Black Fox Campground Area National Forest. Bluffs, streams, etc. Great trail to slow down and take in the sites!!!