Blue Mound State Park Survey

renegade

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/a44b9cf3153842f287857cd98864cb16
Here is the survey for the Blue Mound State Park. The DNR are actively trying to keep the trail out. Current employees and retired employees. There is an article in Wisconsin snowmobile news. If they are successful it would start a precedent to keep snowmobiles off of state owned public lands. I highly suggest taking this survey and showing your support for the trail to go through and not just on the plowed road which is where the trail is located at this time. I would also take time to read the article in the Wisconsin snowmobile news. Some scary stuff they are trying to pull.

MZEMS2

Thanks for the support and posting!!! This would add trail to our trail system for County Line Snobusters. It's been an ongoing battle for several years now, with the tree huggers finding every possible way to keep snowmobilers from using the park.

jr37

I'll take heat for this,but it needs to be said. With all the off-trail riding/trespassing going on these day, wouldn't it be money well spent on trying to keep current trails open rather than trying to open a 2 mile trail that has been closed for nearly 30 years. I see no need to continue this battle. Clubs all over are fighting to keep current trails open and we fight to open 2 miles closed this long. Seems senseless to me.

Spend that money on educating the uneducated about how important all the private landowners in WI are to the trail system. Off-trail riding/trespassing in WI must stop, or this 2 mile trail will be peanuts compared to what is coming.

MZEMS2

I'll take heat for this,but it needs to be said. With all the off-trail riding/trespassing going on these day, wouldn't it be money well spent on trying to keep current trails open rather than trying to open a 2 mile trail that has been closed for nearly 30 years. I see no need to continue this battle. Clubs all over are fighting to keep current trails open and we fight to open 2 miles closed this long. Seems senseless to me.

Spend that money on educating the uneducated about how important all the private landowners in WI are to the trail system. Off-trail riding/trespassing in WI must stop, or this 2 mile trail will be peanuts compared to what is coming.

JR, have you ridden this area? It is only 2 miles, but it's a very crucial 2 miles. I don't disagree on your points though either. There a actually several very large trail projects going on here in the area, and this is just one of them.

renegade

Not only is it important to that area, it's a slippery slope in my opinion. If they succeed here, what state land is next? I agree with the off trail problem, but both need to be addressed.

wisco-mb

The issue is that if snowmobiling is removed from the Blue Mounds Master Park plan, could lead to many more state owned closings. From Sam Landes:

Just like snowmobile use is listed in the original BMSP Master Plan, Our snowmobile use is listed and mapped on over 70 state owned properties alone. If our opposition wins, and we are removed from the BMSP Master Plan, OUR OPPOSITION WILL HAVE NEEDED AMUNITION TO RE-OPEN ALL OF THOSE MASTER PLANS AND REMOVE OUR USE AND SNOWMOBILE TRAILS ON ANY PUBLIC PROPERTY THAT HAS ONE! THAT IS WHY THEY ARE SPENDING WAY MORE THAN WE ARE ON THIS!

renegade

Great thanks! This is short notice but the public hearing is tonight at the Mt. Horeb middle School. 5-7:30 if anyone is interested in attending in person.

renegade

I would love to hear about your out wisco. Not sure when they are ruling, but if I remember right you can take the online survey for another week or two.

wisco-mb

It was pretty well attended! Snowmobile presence was there. This is first phase of planning process - public input. There are 2 more phases. It was not a open debate, but were broken up by tables. Each table got to write down their input and discuss with each other. There were 3 questions asked, and had about 20 minutes on each. We wrote down on a big 2x3 poster board with sharpies.
Dnr reminded everyone to be respectful! There were 3 riders in my table, and 3 others that lived about 30 minutes away. Very nice. They loved the park; couple hiked there alot, and other had family outings. All 3 had no issues with snowmobilers.
We expressed our concern pretty heavily to get an actual trail, and not road run in park.
Keep those survey responses going! Share that link with all club members!

sjb

Survey done.

Just remember there are many folks out there that believe "silent sports" are the only ones that should be allowed in our state parks. Many folks are fine with sleds going through, but some are not. I often ride on a multiuse trail near my house in a state park, and always slow to a crawl when I come across snowshoers, skiers, and hikers. A big wave and give them plenty of room.