Boat Storage

polarisxcsp

A friend of mine just asked me if I had room to store his 18' boat in my barn for the winter. He mentioned he would pay me, but how much is a reasonable rate? What about insurance if the barn burned or something happened?

I have plenty of room but not sure if I want to do it or not.

maddogg

I pay $150 for Oct. through April for a 17 foot Lund. I've been quoted cheaper and higher but I like how with farmer has treated me. Get it in writing that your insurance does not cover someone else's property because it doesn't.

jerkbait_1075

I agree with slickwilly. If he is a friend in your mind then do it for free.... Also this is a good way to test his level of friendship??? Because if I were him and someone (my friend) did me such a favor as storing my boat for free than I would certainly thank him in some way at the end of the storage season. Gift, Gift Certificate, Dinner, ect. Each year at the end of hunting season I glady get gift cards for all of the land owners that let me hunt their lands. All of which are either GOOD friends or even distant family. Its the right thing to do.......

As far as insurance??? I would probably let my insurance agent know just to make sure that I am somehow not getting into anything???? Policies and loop holes are so screwy any more you can never be to safe in checking into things. Otherwise I would make it clear that he is on his own insurance wise....

cuzzinolaf

Free and check with your agent and have him check with his. Chance are nothing will happen but it would be nice to know the outcome beforehand if something did.

bartski

I charge $1.00 per foot per month and it is a 7 month storage season, if you need a contract I have one that was written by a laywer that would not hold you liable if something were to happen to his boat.
Bartski

whitedust

If's he's a friend, do it for free...lol

X2 I have been storing sleds & trailers for friends for free forever but make it clear they are on their own for any loss of any kind. Never had a problem other than the wife gets a bit pissed looking at their trailers so just tell her don't look over there .lol I would not feel right about charging sort of a karma thing.:)

Banjo Man

I store mine in a warehouse for free because I use to be their director of operations.
This facility is used for paid storage of all kinds of mdse, from electronics, medical and exercise equipment to furniture and motorcycles and even some snowmobiles.
The agreement we have is all liability for the boat and trailer is my responsibility and it is insured for that through my policy.

T

Team Elkhorn

If's he's a friend, do it for free...lol

I don't know if I agree with this. I agreed to store a trailer for a friend as a favor until they rented a house where they could store it themselves. That was in 2005. I finally got it out of here last spring. I say charge him.

fusionfool

For a friend, do it for free or max $120 was what I offered a friend a few years back. He was unemployed so took it.
Now for a going rate (if he is not as good of friend), I pay $80/mo ~ $960/yr as we leave our boat in storage and only take it out when in use, then back in to storage. Steep but with my 2005 19' Hurricane, still in show room condition, I am happy. FYI, may be for sale next spring :)

ezra

friend or no friend u are the one paying the property tax .
I pay a bud 100 bucks for outdoor winter of my 25 chris and 40 for summer storage.
I would not feel right about keeping my crap at someones property and not paying something.
ask him what he thinks it is worth and go from there.
I also pay 20 a mo for a old drive through corn crib plywood walls and doors that I store sled trailers some times tools what eaver I need out of the way for a bit. I have kept it for 10 yrs cuz in my parts that is cheep storage.I have even re rented to buds who needed to store a boat.

Pizza Man

I store my 18 ft Baja at a farm near the lake I'm on, $130 for 6 months. If I bring it early or leave it stored later, he doesn't mind.
I also store my snowmobile trailer(in the summer) there and my wife's Sebring convertible(in the winter) there for $130 each (6 months)

durphee

I store a friends custom car in my garage, I don't charge him but in return he is going to epoxy my floor. I am buying the product, he installs it. He is in hard times and I need the work done. It works best for both of us. As far as insurance, i agree with others, call your insurance and check first. If something did happen things could get "sticky" real quick!