Boots

snowchief

Looking at purchasing a new pair of boots I usually end up buying a pair of big bulky pack boots. With the older machines I never had a problem keeping my feet warm with the more enclosed footboards etc. But now with the open footboards my feet freeze. Looking for people who have maybe had cold feet in the past but found a good boot for a reasonable price that seems to keep there feet warmer and comfortable. I 90% trail ride so the I don't move around as much as all off trail.

sweeperguy

I wear snowboard boots. Very warm, great ankle support. Mine are Sapient brand. You will want to try them on and make sure you can walk comfortably in them. Some board boots are so stiff in the ankles, tough to walk in.
Last years style is usually quite inexpensive at places like The Board Shop (Little Canada)

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should get a lot of replies on this one and here's my 2 cents. I currently wear the FXR Brand and my feet are warm all day in the coldest of weather. The price point is reasonable and they show very little wear thus far.

WorkHardPlayHrd

You should get a lot of replies on this one and here's my 2 cents. I currently wear the FXR Brand and my feet are warm all day in the coldest of weather. The price point is reasonable and they show very little wear thus far.

Which FXR boot, they have different levels? Just asking if you know which specific boot it is.

ragex2

i have liked my baffin brand boots. i currently have similar to the baffin lightning model. rated at -94f, they are warm but not too bulky. mine are a few years old and still great. they run a little small in size so order accordingly.

mrbb

warm feet start with good socks, and from there layers of good insulation and a proper fitting boot

too tight, due to wrong size boot or too many layers or sock thickness, will actually make your feet colder and NOT warmer
if your a person that there feet sweat easy, you need to work with better socks and breathing boots

I used more light weight boots and better socks(smart will are at top of my list in socks), with or without a liner, pending temps!
and I use good higher end 400-800 gram leather gore tex lined boots that fit well with the socks I plan to wear!

yrs of trying tons of heavy big bulky boots and thousands in dollars, have shown, me, I don't need them things and there just heavier and at time NOT any warmer

like all gear today, better stuff works better without all the bulk as in the past!
and I will say this, NOT everyone's feet are not the same in handling colder temps as others!
what works for me, might NOT work for you, same as in gloves!
circulation and not being too tight are a key in keeping toes warm!

hermie

You can't beat Baffin for warm boots. I personally wear the Klim boots. I ride a 2019 Ski-Doo 600r and on cold days my right foot gets a little cold. I believe it's due to how they put heat shields on every part of the exhaust. Never happened on my xs Ski-Doo's

snowchief

I was going to check on Dennis Kirk later to see what they have and see if they sell any of the above I think they sell FXR products, where do you guys buy the Baffin boots

united

Just looked at the FXRs. Look pretty good. The Helium Pro Boa is good down to -122 F but at $525 will have to think about it.

I don't understand why most of the -100 F boots are big pac boots that come up almost to the knee (sorel). Who walks around in deep snow in below zero temps with no snow pants? Or I am missing something.

I would like -100 F leather type boots that only go up to the regular height on the calf but can't seem to find them. Baffin are closest.

snowchief

Was looking at the Castle X Charge Boa anyone have any experience with these, looks like some good reviews on Dennis kirk.com, good price, how about the boa deal looks pretty slick but how's that hold up

gkolar

I have the Sorel Glacier boots and I wish they did not go up so high as previous post. That said they are extremely warm, a little on the bulky side, but fine for everyday trail riding. Would not wear them for off-trail riding.

1fujifilm

I have the Sorel Glacier boots and I wish they did not go up so high as previous post. That said they are extremely warm, a little on the bulky side, but fine for everyday trail riding. Would not wear them for off-trail riding.

Yes, be a man dammit; get your Sorels at Fleet Farm!
If Fleet Farm doesn't have it, you don't need it.

Bear

hermie

I was going to check on Dennis Kirk later to see what they have and see if they sell any of the above I think they sell FXR products, where do you guys buy the Baffin boots

I order Baffin boots online. It's hard to find a dealer that carries Baffin boots at a dealer, they are not popular like the more stiff snowcross boots are. I did see some Baffin boots at Trackside in Eagle River. I also know Premier Powersport said they could order them for me.

old abe

Several years ago I bought Cabelas Inferno 2000 gram thinsulate ultra, with the BOA lacing, on sale, $150. I was very skeptical, however, after riding a 1200 plus mile Ontario trip, with very cold temps, some at -30, and below, they worked out great. I only wear one pair of Carhart "Force" socks. Feet never cold once. Mine are 1/2 size larger than my normal size boots/shoes. Feet nice, and dry.

Last edited:

united

These guys used to have a selection of Baffin boots. Not too far from you I think.

SHERPERS INC.
5750 S. 108TH STREET
HALES CORNERS, WI 53130, USA

I order Baffin boots online. It's hard to find a dealer that carries Baffin boots at a dealer, they are not popular like the more stiff snowcross boots are. I did see some Baffin boots at Trackside in Eagle River. I also know Premier Powersport said they could order them for me.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
My buddy, who is a farmer, where his insulated work boots, with rubber boots over those. He's never complained of cold feet in nesrly 30 years of riding.

G

G

All you need are modern Red Wings. No need for a clunky big monstrosity that you can't even walk in. One of the reasons your feet get cold is that your boots/socks are overinsulated and TOO warm. Your feet sweat and then you get cold. Keep it simple.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I feel the socks you wear are nearly as important as the boots. Anyone wearing cotton socks are just asking for cold feet, no matter the boots. Synthetic will not absorb the moisture from your feet nearly as much.

-John