Bug Repellant

scott_b

Heading up this week, hearing the bugs are mighty bad. What is your favorite bug repellant? Anything that helps with the flies?

snocrazy

40 degrees sure has done the trick for me.

Not afraid of the deet. It treats me well. Apply liberally.
Black Flies are done around our area. Pretty much just insane amount of mosquitoes. The cold really put the hurt on them.
So much water everywhere. Lakes are super high. Going to be a lot o bugs if it ever gets and stays warm.

Some one was trying to tell me that a dab of vanilla behind each of your ears keeps the bugs at bay. Any one on here ever try?

mrbb

I think Det is about the best but can be pretty strong stuff
if your in one spot a lot, a therma cell can be a great idea
I also have been at the farm some this yr and the dam deer flys were thick
Just by dumb luck, , I tried using some of the Gold Bond Medicated lotion, on a rash I got from seom dam crazy weeds on my legs
and it seems to keep all BUGS away from me
SO, going to have to try this back at my place in the evening when the mosquito's come out in force and see if works on them
BUT sure been keeping all sorts of flys away from me
and I gather its better for you than Deet?
Will up date when ever it stops raining here and warms back up, as sure they will be think again

tomcat

Bugsoother made in Iowa. A lot of people swear by it. No feet. Smells good. I've had good luck with it. Not a miracle by any means but works well. I like that it has no feet and pretty much all natural when I use it on the kids

- - - Updated - - -

No deet. I love auto correct!

mrbb

well I know this isn't bug repellent, BUT if anyone has to be outdoors in BAD bug area's
I will highly recommend some clothing made by a company called BUG Tammer Plus
its a simple thing, a doubl;e layer of mesh like material(wish they made it in colors besides camo)
BUT you can wear shorts under it in summer and stay cool and NO mosquetio can get to you due to the design
I have worn it in a few swamps helping do survey work, and trust me, it works, I would be NO lie covered with about 300+ at a time and never get bit once!, they sell hats, jackets pants and gloves, the whole suit will keep you from ever getting bit
I have mine about 6-7 yrs now, and its a go to thing in bad yrs here when I have to work out in thick area's

here's a link to the jacket, they sell other items too, its the best like design on the market I have ever used or seen too, BUT again, I wish they made it in light colors, to help keep you cooler in the sun, as the camo does seem to hold heat being dark!

https://shannonoutdoors.com/product/classic-double-guard-bug-tamer-plus-parka/

megan600

Snocrazy....am I reading that right? the black flies are pretty much done in Munising !?!?!?!?!?

That would be great news! A group of us are heading up next weekend for some trail riding, and we had seen a post a couple weeks ago saying they were awful. I sure don't enjoy mosquitos either, but being from the Saginaw Valley area and living near the Shiawassee Flats, I've gotten pretty used to them darn things. Was really dreading the black flies tho!

mezz

I can pretty much guarantee that the black flies are NOT done yet. The first hatch may be coming to a close, but, wait, there is one more to go. Now, that doesn't mean don't go out or don't come UP, just be prepared.-Mezz

L

lenny

I ve been working outside on a house close to da woods and the Mosquitos are thick but Repel 40% DET does work awesome. No black flies where I am but the skeeters are thick

mezz

I ve been working outside on a house close to da woods and the Mosquitos are thick but Repel 40% DET does work awesome. No black flies where I am but the skeeters are thick

That's a big 10-4!-Mezz

L

lenny

I just wonder if these Chems get into our system,,,,,he'll, who cares as long as you are not eaten alive

chords

You bet they get into our system.
Spritzing it on bare skin to soak in ( the chems ) for hours could send someone over the edge

cooksend

Just spend a week about 20 miles south of Munising and the Skeeters were freakin' outta hand! This helped me out a bit - Repel, Yard Fogger, those goofy skeeter repellant rings and a BUG NET...

buddah2

I can pretty much guarantee that the black flies are NOT done yet.

This time you're wrong.........they're gone cause the freakin skeeters ate em.........;)

O.K., joking aside, they have been done in this area (20 mi south of Munising) for a couple of weeks now.......snocrazy is about 10 mi. north of me so same thing applies.......once the flies started to die down is when the skeeters came out in force........FULL force.........

megan600

thanks for the slight glimmer of hope guys! We are headed up Friday am for some trail riding. I know skeeters are awful, but they are horrendous where we live too, so that part we are a little more accustomed to! ;)

G

G

Skeeters, black flies, woodticks - the whole trifecta. 3 more reasons winter is better than summer.

snocrazy

I don't bs.... have not seen em since I posted such. Mosquito's are out in force.

Thermacell - good stuff - just picked up a bunch at Wally World on sale.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I can report the same for the black flies up here in my area. Really very few left after the cold two weekends ago. No rebound yet and they are running out of time to do so...at least I hope! Mosquitoes have not even been too bad. Yesterday evening I worked in the woods for 2 hours with no repellant on at all and was not bothered at all. The dogs were with me and they were not bothered either. I can say that I have heard others complain more about the bugs in other areas of the Keweenaw than I have experienced and I do know that when we were down in Eagle Harbor last Friday, they were worse there as we were loading up to ride the SxS home.

Knocking on wood from the greater Mohawk area! :)

-John