Building a Deck this Spring......

mattyp

My current one is small and almost 15 years old. Thinking it will be a 2-tier deck coming out our kitchen door and I do have a walk-out basement below. I may put a concrete slab underneath(if money allows). I am not handy when it comes to this type of work but both my brothers are carpenters. I am looking for different ideas/designs and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions. Also looking for ideas/recommendations as far as material type. I have looked on-line a bit for info and was curious to see others thoughts. My family and I spend a lot of time outside and really want to utilize this space well. Thanks in advance!!

doomsman

My new home has trex decking and I will never mess with
any thing else ever again. The cost is justified by washing it with just
soap and water and a hose.
You will also be tempted to skimp on the screws and nails for the
treated framing,""
don't"""
be sure to buy the stainless.
I like my three tiered deck it kind of makes rooms outside.

polarisrider1

I have Trex decking and the hard plastic post sleeves and rails. I power wash the whole thing once a yr. and it looks like brand new ea. time. You MUST use the correct screws for trex. and make them stainless like doomsman said. Decks are a Pay me now or pay me later type item. spend the money up front so you won't be doing it again in next 15 yrs.

mikeh906

X3 Most of the big box stores sell books and offer classes on planning and building decks. You could wait a year for your concrete, just put down the class 5 and level to grade before starting the deck. That would save some cash, also you will find out it costs more to do it right. Your brothers should have no problem building a deck. Take advantage of the free help and build something with imagination that your family can enjoy for years to come. Sounds like a fun project to me.

ibendwire

I have the trex decking also and love it. I power wash mine just like pr1. Just be careful when power washing as if you get too close to the deck with the nossle, you can damage the decking. I also used anchors that allows you to screw the deck from underneath so there are no screws visable from the top.

ezra

tons of good composite out there.some like the multi level thing some do not if you have the drunk in law it can be fun to watch them trip and fall on there face.can also be kind of a pita for laying out deck furnishings.run gas for BBQ and fire place i know gas fire places are not as nice but you know what is nice a remote control while siting in your chair no f ing around.if trying to save a few bucks we have used the solid composite from Menard's for yrs and all still performing and looking great.when using cladding more is better when it comes to screws all the cladding warps if not screwed like crazy.we usualy stay away from cladding id at all poss and use decking insted makes better corners wont bust as ez wont warp ect ect.we also spend allot of time refinishing decks in the spring 1 quality refinish and you could have bought the composit and still had a few bucks left over for a deck party