Camping generator and questions ?

robert77

hello all I am a frequent camper and have been doing the rustic scene for awhile,me and the wife love the private experience we get from rustic. non the less we miss the small commodities from public camping. I was considering doing a generator. Has anyone purchased a generator for camping? If so What size did you get and are they efficient? I have done some research and I found one of these

http://yamahadealer.blogspot.com/2012/07/YAMAHAGENERATORDEALERMICHIGAN.html

Let me know I have looked at HONDA generators vs Yamaha generators . Just want some real time experience before I invest a few grand ;)

russholio

I have a Honda EU200i generator and love it. It's light, quiet and efficient (will run approximately 12 hours in eco mode -- meaning low throttle unless put under a heavy load, in which case it kicks up) on a tank of gas. The only drawback is that 2000 watts aren't enough to run the microwave (not a huge inconvenience to me since I do most of my cooking on the conventional stove) or the AC (also not a huge inconvenience, since the only time I use the generator to power the camper is at hunting camp). That being said, if I were to start over and money weren't an issue, I'd get one with at least 3000 watts (big price difference between 2000 and 3000).

I don't have any experience with Yamaha generators, but my dad has a little Yammi outboard that performs like a champ, so I would expect similar quality in their generators and that they would be on par with Honda. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were in the market and they were lower in price than Honda.

Good luck, hope this helps a little.

boatingbent

Honda 3000 is the best .....They are nice and quiet ...Use to have one for my 29 foot 5th wheel toy Hauler it ran everything in it no problem

beaton grade

I have used a Honda EU 3000i at camp for five years with no problems Its only drawback for me is it takes two people to move it around.

vmaxal

Parallel kit for 2 2000 Honda's

I picked up a new eu2000i to go with an older one and also got a "parallel kit." This let's you double up the power but still gives you the conveinence of the the light weight 2000W generators. I also purchased a 6 gallon tank with dual feeds so it can fuel both generators off of that and give them days of run time, plus refueling is much simplier.
I like the sound level of the small generators but the power of the larger one. Cost works out pretty close even with the extra pieces.

Good luck.

P.S. I have used Yamaha 1000s for running pitching machines for years and they run strong even in the hot dusty/abusive environment. I am pretty sure Yamy also offers a parallel kit.

ezra

the small Honda is the best hands down.
some day Honda needs to do a add on the st croix river on any given big weekend.drive by any party island you see 30 or better cruisers and 7/8 of them have a small Honda sitting on the swim deck.
best part you can have a conversation standing next to it

polarisrider1

Geez, adding a generator kinda takes from the "rustic" doesn't it. what's it gunna be Garth??? if Momma needs the juice then a Honda is the only way to go. No short shanking with anything other.

polarisrider1

the small Honda is the best hands down.
some day Honda needs to do a add on the st croix river on any given big weekend.drive by any party island you see 30 or better cruisers and 7/8 of them have a small Honda sitting on the swim deck.
best part you can have a conversation standing next to it

that be me!

red_dog

I picked up a new eu2000i to go with an older one and also got a "parallel kit." This let's you double up the power but still gives you the conveinence of the the light weight 2000W generators. I also purchased a 6 gallon tank with dual feeds so it can fuel both generators off of that and give them days of run time, plus refueling is much simplier.
I like the sound level of the small generators but the power of the larger one. Cost works out pretty close even with the extra pieces.

Good luck.

P.S. I have used Yamaha 1000s for running pitching machines for years and they run strong even in the hot dusty/abusive environment. I am pretty sure Yamy also offers a parallel kit.

Is this tank a homemade job or something Honda sells? I just hate getting up in middle of night in cold camper cause someone forgot to fill the gen. We use single or dual Honda 2000s depending on needs. At deer camp mild winter we got 14 hours runtime gas was filled to the rim. I love it!!!

hotwire

robert77,
I'm a Generac Dealer. Generac has small units also. 800ix, 1400ix, 1600ix, 2000ix watt inverter generator. I have a 2000 watt unit that I demo to customers so they can check it out for themselves. I'm located in Kalamazoo Michigan area. Depending where your located I would let you give this one a test drive.
I have used this unit my self at job sites when we shut down power and it does very well.
Send me an email, I can get all specs and pricing shipped to your door.

anonomoose

It's all about the noise output and fuel consumption.

The lower the noise the less wear on your nerves. Fuel today is not cheap and will add to the cost of ownership...plenty if you use it much.

Inverters are more expensive sometimes triple the cost but they only run at the speed they need to to produce the output required of the appliance running. This consumes less fuel and keep a lower sound/noise level.

There are some very good and quiet units available on-line which can be shipped right to your door, and they work well and cost less than half of what the "name" brand stores charge.

The concept of having two units is a good one also because you would be able to fall back to one using less fuel and noise when the need for more power is not there. It also would provide for a backup if one decided to go south on you for whatever reason.

fstcat2

I stayed in oshkosh for a 8 days this year and was able to compare a 3000 honda (i brought with) to a 3000 yami (my camping nieghbor). The honda was fairly quiet, compared to other brands i saw around the camp, but the yami was much quieter!! On the fuel concerns, the honda used more fuel also. Yes they both had "econ modes" but honda would cycle off econ much more frequently than the yami. After 3 days, my nieghbor ran me a cord over to my trailer and asked if I would run of his yami. I plugged in, we both were able to use all the accessories we wanted, both had A/C, and the yami was much more fuel efficient. The only thing we both noticed was the yami used approx 3/4 of a quart of synthetic oil. Now in fairness, the honda just had an oil change before we started and I did not check the oil after the couple days I used it. Where my nieghbor knew his yami needed an oil change (unsure if this has any effect). My next generator purchase will be a yami. Hope this helps.

L

lenny

I have borrowed a Yammi generator from Pats and holy cow was it quiet. You can set it between two people and you don't have to raise your voice to talk over it. I have only herd good from both but have to say the above post says a lot!

yoopermike

Does your rustic camping involve a trailer or a tent? If you're just tent camping then a 2000W will more than likely be enough. If you have a trailer, I'd opt for the 3000W. I can only speak from experience on the Honda side, our 2000W does the job for our deer camp. I would say you're going to get a good unit either way if you choose Honda or Yamaha. Just find the best deal!

elf

We've got the 2000w yamaha and love it. As people have said, super quiet and very fuel efficient. But, if I was to do it again I might go with the 2400w Yamaha. The 2000w will power the microwave in our camper barely, you need to turn everything else off, will not power the A/C, and struggles with any appliances that use resistant heat, such as a waffle maker or electric fry pan. For lights/TV (if we had one), radio, everything else, it works great. We were camping at HayDays and listening to all the big old contractor generators running was annoying when you couldn't even hear our Yamaha.
I'm sure the Honda is just as good, just don't have any experience with one.

towtruck

hot wire , can you hook up 2 2000ix units together when you need to run the AC? I believe the Generac is lower cost with very similar performance to honda or yam- would that be correct?
robert77,
I'm a Generac Dealer. Generac has small units also. 800ix, 1400ix, 1600ix, 2000ix watt inverter generator. I have a 2000 watt unit that I demo to customers so they can check it out for themselves. I'm located in Kalamazoo Michigan area. Depending where your located I would let you give this one a test drive.
I have used this unit my self at job sites when we shut down power and it does very well.

towtruck

I think I saw the generac 2000 on sale at Fleet Farm for $500, can a guy buy from you for close to that ?
Also can u pair them up like the Honda to make a 4000? I know people with Generac's that are very happy , and I think the hondas and yamis are great but extremely over priced
robert77,