Car battery

miaferominka

If you keep trying to start a truck (or car) and it wont fire drain your battery pretty quick?

My truck didnt start today it was cranking good just didnt fire, after trying to start it about 10 times the battery became weak. battery tested around 6.8 volts. Battery is about a year old. Took it to Napa and they said battery is good. Truck had been sitting for about 10 days with no use, no lights were left on either.

Any help would be great.

Sam

indy_500

replace the battery! my moms van died had to get it jumped. took it to dealer they said battery was good. died again took it to dealer again and they said batter was good (chrysler van and we took it to a dodge/jeep dealer) and then we took it to a ford dealer then they finally said battery was dead! sisters car is a ford, took it to a mechanic (not a car dealer) he said battery was good (this was after it dyed twice) then we took it to the ford dealer then they said it was bad! replaced batteries in both and all is good.

mnguy

Put the battery on charge for several hours and then test it. It shouldn't go much below 10-11 vdc on a load test. With a full charge if it drops to 6-7 vdc replace the battery. If you tried 10 times and it never even popped you may have other issues.

dab102999

Are they testing with a load tester or a amp tester?? I had a similar problem years ago to find out it was being tested with an amp tester. Once a load tester was put on it showed that battery had a bad cell.

If battery is a year old should be some sort of a warentee on it. Better check the altinator also to make sure it is putting out enough juice to charge your battery.

stevis

My quess is there is nothing wrong with the battery. you just drained it trying to start. charge battery then trouble shoot to find out why it won't start.

Last edited:

edmarino

The correct voltage for a 12 volt battery at full charge is 13.4 volts. If voltage is low some times the electronic ignition system will not fire. Make sure your battery is at full charge voltage.

edmarino

The correct voltage for a 12 volt battery at full charge is 13.4 volts. If voltage is low some times the electronic ignition system will not fire. Make sure your battery is at full charge voltage.

anonomoose

Class 101

Here is how to trouble shoot this one!

Assuming all connections are clean and tight.

Next time the car cranks a few times (2 attempts) but won't start, stop....get another car/truck running and jump it. If the car/truck starts first kick.. then Ed is right, the car needs full voltage to fire up. The battery is being drained so far that the CPU says "not enough voltage". Modern motors including sleds need full 12 volts to start even when a load is put on the battery which happens when you crank the starter. A weak battery will load down below 12 volts and you can crank them til the battery runs out of juice with no firing at all. I would look at putting a volt meter on the battery as you crank and see what the battery drains down to when you hit the key. I would then suspect an alternator not doing it's job, or bad rectifier in it, or sticking regulator.

If when you jump it and it still doesn't fire, then the battery isn't your original problem and you have something else going on...such as coils that are burned out, etc.

This process will determine if the battery is the cause or you have other issues and the battery is NOT your problem