Cash for Clunkers - Vehicles Traded In

jroz

What the public doesn't know is that many dealers have not received any money fron the government yet. I talked to the owner of the dealership I work at, and he said they had only gotten authorization for TWO cars out of the 300+ cars they have sold on this program. We have not destroyed any cars yet, at least until the government kicks in its share.

jim600xc

The decent trade-ins could have been donated to charities. The junkers could have been given to recyclers for a $100 charitable contribution. Such a waste.

ezra

well all you get for charitable donated cars now days is what the charity gets for the car you donate. and around my parts alot go to auction .in years past I would go out and buy used cars to donate because you got bluebook. It would keep me in the zone for not getting as <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> from the fed.now I work less

ubee

hard to believe they are going to pour glass catalyst down a good 350 race motor,<font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>

ubee

maybe they can part out the curb feelers,the fender skirts,the baby moon hubcaps,the coon tail antenna dodad,maybe the electric bounce suspension maybe the full white wall tire and the lakes pipes lmfao

cdsprague

I heard everyone that got the 4500 will be paying taxes on it. It is considered income. Nice. Anyone else heard this?

eao

Yes, the $4500 will be taxed according to reliable sources.

Top 10 Trade-in Vehicles
Ford Explorer 4WD
Ford F150 Pickup 2WD
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD
Ford Explorer 2WD
Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan 2WD
Jeep Cherokee 4WD
Chevrolet Blazer 4WD
Chevrolet C1500 Pickup 2WD
Ford F150 Pickup 4WD
Ford Windstar FWD Van

here is a link to stats
http://www.cars.gov/files/official-information/August26Stats.pdf

Hoosier

http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-06

The credit is NOT taxable income. From the link above:

Is the credit subject to being taxed as income to the consumers that participate in the program?

NO. The CARS Act expressly provides that the credit is not income for the consumer.

I used the program and turned in a 97 blazer (#7 on the list). Seemed like a waste to kill the truck, since it still ran well, but at 189k miles, leaking oil and trans fluid, and a couple dents, it made sense for us to accept the welfare payment for it.

kevisip

Well thats good that its not taxed as income. This now goes against my error percentage. It now goes from 100% to 99.9% knowing everything.

I thought I heard on radio it would be taxed as income. This seems to be the 1st program that was a true give-away. Except we all have to pay it back later I suppose.

fcat700

I put two cars to sleep yesterday. 1995 Astro and a 1990 Seville. Two down nine to go, including a 350 cid chevy. To bad.

fcat700

Read this link. Right from the horses mouth.

http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-06

"Is the credit subject to being taxed as income to the consumers that participate in the program?"

"NO. The CARS Act expressly provides that the credit is not income for the consumer."

As for the sales tax: That was up to the state where the new vehicle was purchased. In Wisconsin the "voucher" was taken off the sale price of the new car as a dealer type discount(not as a rebate) so no state sales tax was charged on the "voucher".

fcat700

As for the sales tax: That was up to the state where the new vehicle was purchased. In Wisconsin the "voucher" was taken off the sale price of the new car as a dealer type discount(not as a rebate) so no state sales tax was charged on the "voucher".

Hoosier

In Indiana, I was not charged for sales tax on the voucher portion. Not sure about other states.