Chain o' lakes - il

snoluver1

Not sure about the lakes but the river is definitely shot. Upper is blown wide open. Lower still has some spotty ice but more holes than ice.

bladeguy

I would love to try and ride the upper lakes this weekend if there is enough ice and snow. Have to see how it ends up...

Last edited:

rich_jelinek

looks like lots of tracks on the fox river at rt 173, anyone been up and down it from say Blarneys to hwy 50 ?

I used to live on lake marie, but since I don't anymore, I don't keep tabs on ice conditions so just looking for some accurate reports. From what I've seen, some areas are solid just going by the ice fisherman, but as usual there's plenty of the usual open areas, under grass lake rd, rt 12 etc.

Lots of snow out there, the question as usual is - how much ice is under it?

bladeguy

I have heard recent reports that it is slushy by Bridgeport (river&173). It is going to be 40 degrees today - that won't help....

Snirtdawg

We rode about 5 miles of the river heading south and got off at RT 50. Slushy but kept the hammer down. Beat riding the dirt trails back to home.

rich_jelinek

I rode the trails from home up to hwy 50 yesterday ( sat. ) morning at about 9am, and they were not very good. When I got to Hwy 50 and the Fox river there were only about three sets of tracks headed south and since to get home that way I would pretty much have to make it all the way to under the bridge at Rt 12 I chose to just take some different trails back home. Just in the 2 hours from when I left til I got back the trails were DONE IMO and that was at about 11 am ( yesterday ) so I would imagine by now they are completely junk.
I did get to try out some new settings on the sled and have a lil fun riding around on the twin lakes though.

It's just a damn shame that once again, winter finally got going and then we have to have the damn warm up to ruin it !

SledTL

I rode the trails from home up to hwy 50 yesterday ( sat. ) morning at about 9am, and they were not very good. When I got to Hwy 50 and the Fox river there were only about three sets of tracks headed south and since to get home that way I would pretty much have to make it all the way to under the bridge at Rt 12 I chose to just take some different trails back home. Just in the 2 hours from when I left til I got back the trails were DONE IMO and that was at about 11 am ( yesterday ) so I would imagine by now they are completely junk.
I did get to try out some new settings on the sled and have a lil fun riding around on the twin lakes though.

It's just a damn shame that once again, winter finally got going and then we have to have the damn warm up to ruin it !

Dad and bro were out on lake Elizabeth today. We got a house on there and they said that it was slushy stuff, but still nice to rip around a bit.

bladeguy

Looks like we will be making ice for the next ten days. Here's hoping it freezes the upper and lower river as well as channels and bridges...

rich_jelinek

I just went over the bridge on the way home, and yes for the most part it looks like the west side is frozen over. There were some sleds riding under there on sunday, but it was only really frozen along the very west edge, but now as much as I could see was frozen over, and with the next couple of really cold days/nights it should build up some more.

bladeguy

where can a guy trailer to and ride the river down to the chain from anywhere between burlington and hwy 50

Best is to park near the Wilmot Riverside. Plenty of room on the road along the river there. you can get right on the river. Even closer would be Riverview (? not sure of the name). A mile east of the river on 50 take 76sth st just past the tracks.

Last edited:

legolamb

where can a guy trailer to and ride the river down to the chain from anywhere between burlington and hwy 50

Just an FYI, if anyone coming from WI rides the river south into IL, make sure you have current IL registration, or an IL user sticker and proof of liability insurance. The DNR are out in packs, and last year they set up on the last turn of the river before entering Grass Lake. They will give you a ticket if you don't have the proper stickers, and if you don't stop for them, they will chase you. They had turbo cats last year.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/snowmobile/Pages/Information.aspx

Last edited:

bladeguy

Just an FYI, if anyone coming from WI rides the river south into IL, make sure you have current IL registration, or an IL user sticker and proof of liability insurance. The DNR are out in packs, and last year they set up on the last turn of the river before entering Grass Lake. They will give you a ticket if you don't have the proper stickers, and if you don't stop for them, they will chase you. They had turbo cats last year.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/snowmobile/Pages/Information.aspx

Yes this is true. Good Point! You can buy an out of state sticker at Triangle Bait Shop in Antioch. Supposedly you can buy at Pro Bass or Lake County Walmart. They have the license machines, but they may not know how to do a snowmobile. Also make sure they give you a sticker backing. I had to use tape. If you are riding the chain you definitely want to go into Illinois...

bladeguy

If you run into Illinois to buy a sticker at the Triangle you might as well drop at the Sand Bar. Be sure to go in and ask where to park. It's around back.

bladeguy

If you wanted to get a little ride in without buying an Illinois sticker you could go back and forth between riverside and River View all day. You would get to ride but its much more fun to cruise the whole chain... River View is a little harder to find though...