Chain o' lakes - il

rich_jelinek

where can a guy trailer to and ride the river down to the chain from anywhere between burlington and hwy 50

Last time I was up that way, there were some trailers parked at the Marathon gas station on 50 & 83. Run along 50 east about a half mile and you can get on the river there.....................

bladeguy

I am headed out tomorrow on a quest to try and make it down river. If I don't sink I will post. Any info on how the river looks through town and if people are riding it would be greatly appreciated!

rideyellow

I am headed out tomorrow on a quest to try and make it down river. If I don't sink I will post. Any info on how the river looks through town and if people are riding it would be greatly appreciated!

Doesn't look real promising from the mouth of the river to the dam, No snow and spotty ice.

Is there snow on the upper river north of grass lake?

Thanks for the feedback.

bladeguy

Doesn't look real promising from the mouth of the river to the dam, No snow and spotty ice.

Is there snow on the upper river north of grass lake?

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the reply. I will report tomorrow if nobody else does. They are now calling for 1-3 inches - that should help a lot! I know the upper river is frozen...

Last edited:

bladeguy

the upper river is pretty rough north of Bridgeport. There's not a lot of snow. Nobody out here. I'm not overheating though although I did engage my ice scratchers.

79txl

Anyone riding south of the chain? Since we got that whopping 1 1/2 the other night im seeing tracks under rt 14 bridge in FRG. Seeing if theres enough ice to go through Johnsburg?

snoluver1

Anyone riding south of the chain? Since we got that whopping 1 1/2 the other night im seeing tracks under rt 14 bridge in FRG. Seeing if theres enough ice to go through Johnsburg?

Not sure about Johnsburg but I did see tracks going through downtown Mchenry by Vickie's. River is locked up tight but Johnsburg always schetchy no matter how thick ice is anywhere else.

paulmi0413

Snowmobile Rentals?

Anyone know of any reputable places that rent sleds in McHenry, or around the Chain? I've heard a lot of businesses have closed by low demand, but was hoping there are still a few around. Thanks.

Snirtdawg

You are joking right! sled rental on the chain! They would clear about 15 dollars per year. The closest I know of is either Door Co.(fish creek), or Antigo.

bladeguy

I rode Sunday and it was awesome! Went all the way down to Algonquin and all the way up close to Waterford (just past the dam). We headed through Johnsburg at 9:30 a.m. - it was pretty hairy - ice was breaking up. We went around on the way back. But conditions were awesome! Too bad its gonna get warm...