Cheap sled for my son

mikes99ss

So, I'm thinking about getting a cheap sled for my son. Preferably Polaris. What are your guys thoughts?

sweeperguy

How old?
Late 90's indy 500. Great reliable sleds.
How much looking to spend, can find these cheap
Before this year anyways, not sure what covid did to the prices on these. But thinking not impacted as hard as newer used sleds

old abe

How old?
Late 90's indy 500. Great reliable sleds.
How much looking to spend, can find these cheap
Before this year anyways, not sure what covid did to the prices on these. But thinking not impacted as hard as newer used sleds

Very good choice is the Indy 500 indeed!

mojo

I picked up a 2000 Polaris classic 500 about a month ago with 6000 miles on it for $950 I thought that was pretty reasonable all needed was a battery

old abe

Agree all the way on the Fuji 440 liquid! And a outstanding gas miser too! Wife loved the Purple!

qcmike

If you change your mind and are interested in a 1998 Yamaha Vmax 500 for $900 obo. 6200 Miles. Its in my garage in Bessemer MI.

lofsfire

I'd ask how old is you son? And what type of riding will you do?

I recommend something like a 340 to 500 fan cooled for a new rider. Not much to go wrong and easy to work on... Smaller has some advantages for keeping their speed in check as well. For me I found a '98 Jag 340 that has been great to us. It would do 65mph no problem. I bought it figuring if something did happen it was not supper expensive. I also made it very clear that if something happen it would not be replaced right away. I also planned that if all went well, it would be passed on to my youngest. He will be 12 this November. So this past February I found a '16 ZR5000 that I picked up. My oldest is on that and youngest will be on the '98 Jag 340. If all goes well I will probably look to upgrade him to a 4 stroke in 3 years or so. The next sled will depend on what I find or if I'm ready to trade up from my '15 ZR9000. The ZR5000 is nice and reliable but without the power of the 7000 and up sleds. My oldest could handle more power but I don't want to temp him either. He figure out very quickly if he slowed down on the straight-a-ways by the time I noticed he could speed up and go faster than my pace to catch up and than wait for the next straight section to do it again. He's already complaining we are going to have to go slower due to his brother riding this year.

One other thing to note the older smaller sleds fit the younger kids well, but they can grow out of them fast. My oldest needed a larger sled to fit him better which was part of the reason I bought the ZR5000. He's 6'3" at 14 years old.

Good luck