Checker board tile floor

Sweep800

Going to install a black and white checker board tile floor in a remodel house but a little unsure on what color grout to use. Most responses are to use gray or black but not white. Also I was thinking 1/8 grout joints and use unsanded. Ant thoughts would be appreciated.

azandy

I install tile for a living. I would use black or charcoal color grout. It has to be sand grout.
I use a smaller joint like a 1/8". Will look very nice. I have done several of these checkered flag patterns over the years. Once did a showroom at a now auto dealer.sharp look.

tilesnake

gray is nice , i myself like a small grout joint, harder to do but it looks sharp. if its a small grout joint , then you can use unsanded. good luck..ps got a union card? lol

polarisrider1

Three tile guys on JDee. Tileguy for 31 years. listen to azandy. Myself I would use charcoal grout. If you go black grout seal the white tile first to prevent staining from the high carbon content of the black grout. And use sanded grout with 1/8" grout joint.

scott_b

Depending on te size consider doing a larger patern, like 4x4 of each color, it can make a big area look much less busy.

mtb1115

Don't, if your not going to live there don't decorate to your taste.... Go with a neutral color tile & grout and it will appeal to more potential buyer or tenants.

polarisrider1

The owners picked it out. I'm just installing it. tks
So sweep800, do you do tile on a regular basis? I do travel and do not have a union card and work clean thru breaks and lunch, lol. Between us and all of JDee world, they will grow tired of the checker board pattern. I have done many and tore out more. For a sports car show room yes, for a nascar fans wifes backsplash....NO! lol Hopefully you are using a decent underlayment such as Ditra or Hardi board. Let us tileguys help you along. what size tile and type you using? Ceramic, porcelain and glass all use different mortars. I will help you out with info for proper install if need be. The Home Depot saturday work shops will surely mess one up. (they will sell you stuff you will never use).

ezra

how has the ditra been holding up? I have been using hardibacker stapled down with a 7/17 sheathing stapler for about 10 yrs no issues yet.do all my floors and shower walls that way.when I started yrs ago we mud set all the floors like a shower pan PITA.this summer I used that durock on a roll had some height issues that stuff is is about as thick as 6 sheets of paper hope it works in the long hall.I see lots of the production tract home guys rolling simmiler products over sheetrock walls and gluing to pan liner looks fast and ez.
prob just fine but now I am the old guy that I mixed mud set for making the guys use hardibacker instead of the ez fast way out.

azandy

Ditra works well. Have been using it for many years. Not on all jobs though, probably thinset and nail down 1/2" durock more often. I have never had a failure with it. Not as nice to work on as it is harder to snap lines. Usually have to use red chaulk and spray it down with clear line spray paint.
I think it is a better subfloor as it won't allow any shear. Costs a little more too.
jmho

Sweep800

So sweep800, do you do tile on a regular basis? I do travel and do not have a union card and work clean thru breaks and lunch, lol. Between us and all of JDee world, they will grow tired of the checker board pattern. I have done many and tore out more. For a sports car show room yes, for a nascar fans wifes backsplash....NO! lol Hopefully you are using a decent underlayment such as Ditra or Hardi board. Let us tileguys help you along. what size tile and type you using? Ceramic, porcelain and glass all use different mortars. I will help you out with info for proper install if need be. The Home Depot saturday work shops will surely mess one up. (they will sell you stuff you will never use).

No union card here, I used to have a carpenter card but had to get rid of it or I would be typing this from the library computer because I'd be homeless. I'm the owner of a framing(now anything that comes along) company for a good 26 years now. I have put in a handful of floors a couple showers, just one with a custom base(yes I did the pre-slope). The Kitchen I'm putting this in is going to be a rental house. I will be using Hardi board set in mortar for the sub floor. The tile is from Daltile and the mortar from Menards. I usually use their mid-grade(they have 3 grades) one on jobs like this. I'm sure it's not top of the line but this is a low end remodel I'm doing this time. Thanks for the input.

szotty

you all are givig away our tile installation secrets, great now home depot will change there weekend 20 min you can do it workshops