Cold/Flu bummer

old abe

Whoa, this cold/flu CRAP is areal bummer! Due to my weak physical condition, due to the infection, I'm having a real hard time kicking this CRAP. This CRAP is no joke.

whitedust

I hope you feel better I had flu shot but lots of viruses going around. Love my grandkid but little germ factories. Zinc helping me a lot.

old abe

I hope you feel better I had flu shot but lots of viruses going around. Love my grandkid but little germ factories. Zinc helping me a lot.
I agree, schools are prime areas for spreading flu of all types, kind. I got the Flu shot early due to my doctors all being concerned with my weak condition, and heading for heart surgery. Oh well, go figure, but I'm having areal battle with this CRAP.

mrbb

hope you feel better soon, the flu sure can suck and put a heavy drain on doing simple things

them flu shots, always seem to have some good and bad in them, I know a lot of folks that had bad reactions to them,
I quit taking them yrs ago, and not suggesting anyone else do so , but its been where I am at!
haven't got sick with the flu since then either, where as I think every time I got the shot, that yr I got it!

hope you feel better soon, the flu sure can suck and put a heavy drain on doing simple things

them flu shots, always seem to have some good and bad in them, I know a lot of folks that had bad reactions to them,
I quit taking them yrs ago, and not suggesting anyone else do so , but its been where I am at!
haven't got sick with the flu since then either, where as I think every time I got the shot, that yr I got it!

No doubt I'll get roasted for this, but I've had ONE flu shot over the last 40 years....and had ONE case of the flu over that time (not the same year as the flu shot). I'm actually THRILLED that kids (aka germ factories LOL) are back in school and improving everyone's immune systems.

old abe

I absolutely agree mrrb. My brother in law had areal bad reaction to the flu shot 20 years ago. At that time I had never got the shot, and chose not to after his bout with reaction. I have had the flu in the past, but with minor affects, and always short lived. I have never encountered the flu anything as I am battling now. However, the infection I encountered in my lower spine, and back, 4 months ago was the only time I've ever been hospitalized in my life. So I figured I should follow my doctors unanimous advice.

dfattack

Whoa, this cold/flu CRAP is areal bummer! Due to my weak physical condition, due to the infection, I'm having a real hard time kicking this CRAP. This CRAP is no joke.
Abe,

I have a regiment that works for me.

Multiple Vitamin (twice daily)
Vitamin E 50 iu (daily)
Zinc 20 mg (one daily but 2 when not feeling well and for covid symptoms)
Vitamin D 10,000 iu (daily)

I also add Flax seed oil and omega 3 cod liver oil as well

When I'm fighting something and this is the main reason why I'm replying to you...I add this Vitamin C.

Directions tell you to take more than what my body can handle since I'm taking the multiple listed above. But if you don't take additional supplements you can follow directions on the bottle. A couple days of this heavy dose Vitamin C will usually knock out the nuisance colds and covid symptoms pretty quick. it's a powder you can add to some juice.

This has worked for me for years. Hope you feel better soon.

pclark

Old Abe, I take this when I feel a cold coming on as well as when I might have had too many cocktails. It's called Liquid IV, just mix in a glass of cold waters and it's full of vitamins and electrolites. Get well soon OA!

Available at Walmart, Costco, online.

chunk06

I'm on week 6-7 of on and off hacking and head congestion. the first 3 weeks I would cough so hard sometimes that I would get light headed. 2 rounds of antibiotics and I can't seem to shake it. I also had constant sinus and ear infectectons in the spring. This is the first time in my life that I can't get rid of my ilnesses.

old abe

I take lota vitamins, and krill oil.Have you tried some good old chicken soup.
Thanks dfattack, jakester23, pclark, and all others advice. I hear you chunk06, antibiotics are pretty much nil on viruses. There in, my heavy, high doses of antibiotics, for 10 weeks, to rid me of the spinal infection ended up killing my own antibodies defence against this crud. That, and my weaknd physical condition is a prime flu target with no resistance. However I'm very thankful I'm still here! Before being in the hospital, I was taking a Multi vitamin, and a regement of several other vitamins, and supplements. But with my heart valve issues, I'm limited to what I can take as I also had a stoke as my heart valve shed damaged tissue. Good ol' Canadian Windsor was my favorite, but then again I'm limited, but can't wait!

Last edited:

dfattack

I'm on week 6-7 of on and off hacking and head congestion. the first 3 weeks I would cough so hard sometimes that I would get light headed. 2 rounds of antibiotics and I can't seem to shake it. I also had constant sinus and ear infectectons in the spring. This is the first time in my life that I can't get rid of my ilnesses.
I remember watching doctors say in the beginning of the lockdowns say that we would see people getting more sick and not be able to shake illness that would normally not be an issue. Isolation and COVID shot would suppress the immune system. Just a comment, not going political.

pclark

I remember watching doctors say in the beginning of the lockdowns say that we would see people getting more sick and not be able to shake illness that would normally not be an issue. Isolation and COVID shot would suppress the immune system. Just a comment, not going political.
Yes, I think you are seeing the effects of wearing masks for so long, it will only be getting worse. I am so glad my wife is not in health care anymore and doesn't have to wear the mask every day.

old abe

S
Shall we say, being compromised? One action leads to a reaction?

uncle_ed

Definitely stuff going around. Growing up I always let my immune system do its thing but as I get older I think more about flu shots and such..idk. I dont know how old abe is :) but hope you kick this soon! I am a firm believer in good ole chicken soup as already mentioned. I mean throw the whole dang bird in the pot and make a nice hearty batch and eat lots of it.....

harvest1121

I had the cough for about 5 days. Took some over the counter drugs seemed to help. But I always drink a lot of water but added milk and oj when I was not feeling the best. I feel good now but have saw a big difference in health and weight since I started drinking over a gallon of water a day.

old abe

I had the cough for about 5 days. Took some over the counter drugs seemed to help. But I always drink a lot of water but added milk and oj when I was not feeling the best. I feel good now but have saw a big difference in health and weight since I started drinking over a gallon of water a day.
Flushing the system, eh!

mezz

Rest, plenty of fluids including chicken soup or chicken broth. I hope you feel better soon, feeling like crap sucks. Take care....

chunk06

I did get the Jab and I'am starting to regrett it because of what you said. I was never isolated, but I don't work with many people. Most of my exposure to the sickneses are from my rugrats. I have always been able to eat, drink and use vitamins to shorten stuff or avoid it, not working this year.