common sense safe riding

700classic

if any one on this site had common sense we would not have payed 10 to 14grand on a toy to use 20 days a yr if you are lucky and then sell it 2 yrs later for less than 1/2 of what you payed if you are lucky then go and doo it all over
x2

saber

Leader needs to know each riders abilities as he/she is ultimatly responsible to set the pace. I learned this from experience a few years back, came to a road crossing and instead of crossing it safe just had to duck off the trail a few feet and hit the 3 foot snowbank on the other side. Well, the person riding 2nd followed me as I was the leader and put her sled on its side in the middle of a hard icy road. A broken mirror and bruised hip later she was ok but too sore to ride the next day.

Now whenever we ride in a group with people we have not ridden with before we have a quick honest discussion about peoples abilities and comfort zones and that nobody should feel pressured to do anything or ride faster than they want too. It is important for everyone to know they can ride thier own pace and that as a group we will wait at the next crossing or stop sign or turn.

If ya ride in a group everyone in that group is responsible for everyone else. Not just thier safety but also to make sure they have a enjoyable time.

It is alos important to figure out and plan your ride based on the guy with the thirstiest sled. Learned that one the hard way too....

elf

About 10 yrs ago a group of us were riding in northern WI. There was 7-8 of us and 1 guy had brought his girlfriend along for her first time snowmobiling. My brother, wife, and I took up the rear and spent all friggin day digging this girl out of corners, deep snow, etc... Not her fault, it was her boyfriends fault for where he was going and the fact that he never looked back to see how she, or we, were doing. We politely informed him that the next day he had to rdie with her and he then lost her at an intersection. Didn't stop to see if she was there and she mistakenly followed another group away thinking it was us. Spent quite a bit if time trying to locate her that day. Surprisingly enough they are now married!

rocky367

Rode with a couple of guys one time and they never waited or checked back on me, even though I had a slower and heavier sled. We hit the bike trail in Sparta, Wi. and they said meet you at Fox Hollow, I never saw them again until I arrived at the bar and they were heading back out the door. Never rode with them again, and now when I ride with someone I find out exactly how they plan on riding. I have one buddy I ride with that rides hard, but will stop and wait at the next intersection and stop sign to wait to see how the trailers are doing.
Main point is the lead should ride or be checking for how everyone else does, best thing to do is take care of your partners.