common sense safe riding

machz120

I would like to hear some of the ways others monitor each other or keep track of friends riding together. I had a friend who rode almost 30 miles without stopping or looking for me? needless to say I will not be riding with him anymore. Ex stop at intersections, stop signs, have a plan if you are split up.

rinkerman

We always make sure the 1st & last rider are capable of there responsbility. Otherwise as you found out it won't be all that fun.

searay500

The way we ride is whoever is behind you is your resposibility. Frequent checks. If the person is not behind you then you go back. The rest of the group will always get back together. This speaks mainly for being on a trail system. Off trail is a little different.........
Hey!!!!!! Where are you???????? Seems to have worked so far.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
One rule, you are responsible for the guy BEHIND you. You have to look back and check all the time, if your guy behind you is not there, you stop and wait to see if he catches up. If after 5 minutes or so he doesn't show up, you turn around and go find him. If everyone in the group does this, everyone stays together.

polarissnow

Make sure you see the PERSON behind you, not just their headlight Another group may have passed the person behind you, especially if that person had to stop for a minute or something.

fredster

Stop and take a count at EVERY intersection and stop sign. I know mirrors aren't sexy, but I have them, I am usually lead with my family and I have gotten good at counting the number of sleds behind me. I usually check every 1/4 mile or so. If the count is low I stop and wait. Twice the wifey has gotten stuck or off the trail and both times we doubled back within 1-2 minutes to bail her out....things happen fast......

...a few years ago, we had stopped in Rockland on our way to Lake of the Coulds, it was mid-morning and a group came in looking for gas, but the restaurant was closed so they went on. We had gassed up before leaving Toivola, decided we had plenty of fuel so we headed out after a few minutes. 20 or so miles out of town, we find 1/2 of the group stopped, one with hood up, you guessed it - out of gas. Said they would wait for the rest of the group to come back. We kept riding, didn't see anyone for awhile, 20+ miles down the trail is the other half of the group. We pull up and they're surprised that "we" are not who "they" were expecting. They ask us if we saw another group? Yes! I say....20 miles back....out of gas! They were speechless. Duh!

I used to ride with a guy who never looked back...when my son was 12 we went riding with him and he would blow away from every stop sign and never look back....after a few starts/stops he had left us behind. We found our way back to the staging area (I didn't know the area...he was the "Guide") and just started loading the sleds. He pulls up with a look like "what's up why are you leaving". I just told him we were done riding for the day, didn't like being left behind in an unfamiliar area...that was the last time we rode with him. I don't think he ever understood why. Some people just don't get it!

Firecatguy

never make a turn or pass a stop sign before the group is all there.....if you get seperated go to the last spot The ENTIRE group was together......real simple follow them rules you will be just fine.......

arcticman

I agree with Skylar and Firecat it is also important you know the rider and not just looking at the next headlight behind you.

favoritos

never make a turn or pass a stop sign before the group is all there.....if you get seperated go to the last spot The ENTIRE group was together......real simple follow them rules you will be just fine.......

I would add trail intersection to the stop sign rule.

We never go past any intersections without making sure the group is still all together.

Firecatguy

I would add trail intersection to the stop sign rule.

We never go past any intersections without making sure the group is still all together.

....get a guy like Big Red he takes the last spot and makes sure all are there.....you will never get that spot from him....some try he says..."get going" hahahah I only have to look back and find Red....this makes the leader job easyier......two ways radios work good too!!!!

Last edited:

ilindy

I would agree with Firecatguy. Not only should you have an experienced rider leading, but you should have one being the tail. We never have a big group but we always have put the less experienced riders in the middle. That way you keep an eye out from behind and in front. Definitely agree with checking for the person, not just headlights. Other people often get in the middle of a group as they're trying to pass.

Every rider in the group should have a fair understanding of where they're riding and have a trail map in case a group gets split up. Years ago, we were riding after dark and came upon a guy who was lost from his group and was pretty panicked. We settled him down some and gave him clear directions back to town where at least he could make a phone call.

t_man

Funny Story

This is my kids favorite family story and they always ask to hear it.

My grandparents were sledding in northern MN with a group of four other sleds in the late 60's or early 70's. My grandfather was driving the sled and my grandmother was riding in a "Cat Cutter" trailer behind the sled.

The group stopped for a picnic in a clearing in the middle of the woods. When they were done the group took off with my grandfather in the sweeper position. Somehow the hitch pin came unhooked, and when he took off the "Cutter" stayed behind - with my grandmother.

The group regularly checked in to make sure none of the sleds were lost, but my grandfather never looked back since he was the last sled in line.

At a stop about a half hour later one of the other sledders asks my grandfather "where is the cutter?" Doh! They immediately headed back down the trail.

My grandmother was fine - especially since all the picnic supplies were with her in the Cutter - including a thermos of hot "cider". However, she never let my grandfather forget his error!

Good news is they were a great couple. We lost my grandmother last November at 97 years old. We still have grandpa, and they were married almost 77 years.

The last person in line should always look back!

dolph

Many years back a group of us went north to a friends home in the U.P. and road for two days. During that time we got left behind several times due to mechanical problems and "y" intersections and the rest of the group was long down the trail. They all new the trail like the back of their hand , while we were at their mercy. Each time took over 30 minutes for someone to get back to us and help us along. Needless to say we no longer ride with this group.

ezra

if any one on this site had common sense we would not have payed 10 to 14grand on a toy to use 20 days a yr if you are lucky and then sell it 2 yrs later for less than 1/2 of what you payed if you are lucky then go and doo it all over

Polarice

Put mirrors on your sled and look for the guy behind you. Put mirrors on even if they look dumb. The mirrors on my IQ look like Mickey Mouse mirrors but I know when my girl and other friends are behind me.

jbsugarbrown

t man, I read your story when it was on here previously--just made me smile. Read it again and am still smiling. Wow, what a great life they must have lived together. Hold on to those memories.

Last edited: