Comparing BRP Helmets

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a recent trip I was able to compare a pair of helmets. One, the new BRP Exome and their Modular 3 side by side. I alternated helmets for most of a day and the following is what I found.
Johnny.png
Helmets have come a long way since the days of the old Two Striper. Dental Care has improved also, but I digress. I've been hearing a lot about the new Mission Helmet. I don't have one and it'll cost me more than 600 dollars to find out just how fantastic they are. Somewhere between the one that's pictured above and the new Mission Helmet are the two that I tested side by side.

Helmet1.jpg

Helmet2.jpg
The day I compared these started out at -5 and remained in the single digits for the rest of the day. Both kept me warm throughout the day, no issues there.

It seems that the field of vision is somewhat better with the new Exome, not that the Mod 3 is lacking in any great detail.

I wear a XXL and the Mod 3 seems like a tighter fit when putting it on. The Exome feels roomier, less cramped. I should mention the strap/string on the side of the Exome is a tether for my camera. That's an Add On.

One thing I don't like about the Mod 3 is when we stop on the trail and open the lower jaw and unsnap one side of the mask, the other snap releases and the mask falls to the ground every time. I hate that! That doesn't happen with the Exome. Instead of snaps they have magnets on both sides and they hold when hanging by one side. It does take some patience and practice in reattaching the mask, same as we learned with the Mod 3. There's a method to the madness.

Style and Graphics are in the eye of the beholder. I like them both, I also like the looks of the Mission, maybe not $600 worth but it's a sharp helmet.

Here's what I don't like about the Exome Helmet from BRP. I don't mind the absorbent pad in the mask, I wouldn't wear someone elses, but I'm OK with my own. Here's the thing....The pads made for the two helmets are not the same, they're shaped differently. In all the wisdom of BRP engineering the pads for the Exome are too large for the mask. They block off the vents which negates the purpose of the mask. For the pads and mask to work as designed you need to trim the bottom off the pads to allow for airflow. How this one got past the engineers beats me. I should also mention that I checked with my local dealer and was told "just to fold them over". Thanks for nothin, I'll show myself out.

So there you have my humble opinion.
There's lots of brands and lots of price range to choose from.
Choose the one you like the best, one you can afford, and the one that may save your noggin when you go toboggin.
(see what I did there?)

picbn

Mission helmet is $470 w/o electric shield and $540 w/ electric shield at Dennis Kirk. It's a fantastic helmet, I've had mine for over a year now. No snot mask and works fine with or without the electric shield as has been mentioned in many threads on this site.

whitedust

Good comparo Gary thanks for taking the time to take a scientific approach. I used a loaned mod 3 xxl this trip I own 2 original mods Xls and this helmet was too big for me. I went to Lando Rec tried on the Xl Exome and fit my head well. I fumbled with the magnet side of the breath box and gave up. I did like the head vents and front vent but couldn’t get past the fumble magnet hook up. I have laser eye surgery Friday so decided to wait to see if I need glasses or not before buying anything. I still need to get my hands on a mission helmet so will wait to do that also. The O2 heated always wires bums me out Although I’m sure it’s a great helmet. Rode all last week teens to mid 20s never wired up the mod 3 didn’t need too. Still undecided

indy_500

Mission helmet is $470 w/o electric shield and $540 w/ electric shield at Dennis Kirk. It's a fantastic helmet, I've had mine for over a year now. No snot mask and works fine with or without the electric shield as has been mentioned in many threads on this site.
And if you sign up for emails you get an additional 10% off.

I have a Mission and it's the best helmet I've even owned. The only one I have ever found not to fog up glasses. I usually wear contacts, but decided to try wearing my glasses a couple of times with it just because reviews said I could without problem. They were right. The only complaint (if any) is that it is a little cold at times. I haven't found the right combo of balaclava yet. I really only need something for my neck up to my chin. That's the only place I feel any air come in. I have a full face Klim, but no longer use it in this helmet because of how the mask in the helmet is situated. No need for full face. My previous helmet was a modular HJC, which worked well, but was cold. So, I guess I'm used to that (and the full face Klim helped resolve it for that particular helmet.)
As stated above, there are lots of good brands out there. The bad thing is you can't try them before you buy them in real world conditions. But trying on in the store will at least give you an idea of fit.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just for grins and giggles, I looked up the Mission Helmet on Dennis Kirk and couldn't find a one. Went to the CKX website and the prices listed range from 489 to 699. Add another 5% for sales tax. Don't get me wrong, these are nice helmets but they should be!

indy_500

Just for grins and giggles, I looked up the Mission Helmet on Dennis Kirk and couldn't find a one. Went to the CKX website and the prices listed range from 489 to 699. Add another 5% for sales tax. Don't get me wrong, these are nice helmets but they should be!
Look again! Dennis Kirk has every color way and version on their site. The mission comes in non electric shield carbon and non carbon, and electric shield in carbon and non carbon, it’s really pretty straight forward… I have the colored non electric shield non carbon one. Retail $489. With my promo code it was $440 plus $12 for tax and free shipping put me at $462. That’s really only ~$100ish more than the helmets you are comparing.

Solid black non E shield non Carbon $469
Colored non E shield non Carbon $489
Solid black E shield non Carbon $539
Colored E shield non Carbon $559

Solid black non E shield Carbon $629
Colored non E shield Carbon $649
Solid black E shield Carbon $699
Colored E Shield Carbon $739

Hoosier

Are these better to buy in person since they have different sized pads or something that should be fitted to your head? Thought I remember seeing that before.

picbn

For me, I had the Mod 3 prior in xxl and my Mission helmet is also an xxl and fits perfect. I was able to try on in person and purchase at Nielsen Enterprises in Lake Villa, Il. Pricing was same/similar as I could get it online.

heckler56

Wore a Mod 2 for 13 years until no amount of duck tape (wrapped around straws) could seal the shield anymore. Got a great deal on a Mod 3 and used that for about 3 years until the nogging took a tumble, along with the sled last year. The Mod 3 had a tendency to have the vents ice up and restrict breathing. Trying to break the ice off on the trail was not easy.
Decided to get a Oxygen after the accident. After some sorting out it has proven to be a good choice. BRP has a current sale on them for around $200 off, which is slightly more palatable. A plus with the helmet is there are only two sizes: s,m,l and xl,2x,3x. You use a different head insert to adapt to the individual rider’s nogging. I had cataract surgery last year and no longer need glasses but I have ample room if I need glasses and the helmet is heated. Since the head insert is removable you can get a “backup” insert for days you might have to dry out a insert. The only downside with the Oxygen is at about 80mph I notice it lifts.

dfattack

Wore a Mod 2 for 13 years until no amount of duck tape (wrapped around straws) could seal the shield anymore. Got a great deal on a Mod 3 and used that for about 3 years until the nogging took a tumble, along with the sled last year. The Mod 3 had a tendency to have the vents ice up and restrict breathing. Trying to break the ice off on the trail was not easy.
Decided to get a Oxygen after the accident. After some sorting out it has proven to be a good choice. BRP has a current sale on them for around $200 off, which is slightly more palatable. A plus with the helmet is there are only two sizes: s,m,l and xl,2x,3x. You use a different head insert to adapt to the individual rider’s nogging. I had cataract surgery last year and no longer need glasses but I have ample room if I need glasses and the helmet is heated. Since the head insert is removable you can get a “backup” insert for days you might have to dry out a insert. The only downside with the Oxygen is at about 80mph I notice it lifts.
Can you explain how the helmet "lifts"? I don't notice anything above 80 at all...all the way up to 110mph. Maybe it's due to my windshield? I have an adjustable medium to high since I don't want to freeze and like the protection when in freezing drizzle.

old abe

Good comparo Gary thanks for taking the time to take a scientific approach. I used a loaned mod 3 xxl this trip I own 2 original mods Xls and this helmet was too big for me. I went to Lando Rec tried on the Xl Exome and fit my head well. I fumbled with the magnet side of the breath box and gave up. I did like the head vents and front vent but couldn’t get past the fumble magnet hook up. I have laser eye surgery Friday so decided to wait to see if I need glasses or not before buying anything. I still need to get my hands on a mission helmet so will wait to do that also. The O2 heated always wires bums me out Although I’m sure it’s a great helmet. Rode all last week teens to mid 20s never wired up the mod 3 didn’t need too. Still undecided
Best of wishes to you on your eye surgery Friday whitedust! I got variable focal lenses two years ago, and couldn't be happier, no more glasses! Absolutely amazing! Next up for me is open heart surgery.

whitedust

Best of wishes to you on your eye surgery Friday whitedust! I got variable focal lenses two years ago, and couldn't be happier, no more glasses! Absolutely amazing! Next up for me is open heart surgery.
Thanks Abe this is just a tune up for left eye premium lens poke hole in scar tissue. Right eye was done before premium lens was available but my brain is adjusting well to both lens. Might need slight correction don’t know yet.

heckler56

Can you explain how the helmet "lifts"? I don't notice anything above 80 at all...all the way up to 110mph. Maybe it's due to my windshield? I have an adjustable medium to high since I don't want to freeze and like the protection when in freezing drizzle.
My windshield comes up to below my shoulders. With the Oxygen “aerodynamics” being a larger helmet (I had to go with the xl,2xl,3xl) I can feel my head lifting when motoring above 70. This was not the case with the Mod 2 or 3. If there is a strong cross wind I can feel it.

Sleddog

Thanks for the great write up. I'm still using the first version of the Mod helmet. I was looking at the Exome. I feel better about spending the money now.

pclark

80-110-mph? Where are you guys riding?

dfattack

80-110-mph? Where are you guys riding?
😁 wide open grades and occasional perfect condition lakes but only for very short runs up to the 110 mph. Typically trail 2 west of Florence is low traffic and sections that are wide open