Conover/Land O' Lakes

JimAndros

Conover & surrounding

Just got back from a 39 mile ride. I left Conover on 12W to 13N. Typical high traffic area with some moguls. 13N to 6E a bit better, and conditions improved a bit more when I got onto Frosty's trails. 6E had a really rough section (like 15 MPH max a few miles west of town) that I assume was because of a creek that may be keeping the groomer away. At the next intersection all was well again.

From Land 0, took 6E to 45S with the intention of heading back to Conover on 45. But for some reason I turned right on 8W. Trail was great all the way back to 13. I would rate it very good. Then 13S to 12E and back home. My detour added several miles, but I had no itinerary or time table.

Overall, I would rate the ride fair to good, closer to good.

Last edited:

whitedust

Sounds like what I found on the opener goodish where trail prep was complete knock your filling out ruff where groomer cound not get thru. Could get a lot better if we get some new snow.

ryanslyne

Thanks for the report. I still plan to come up after Xmas through the weekend. Not having high expectations just looking to get out and ride a bit for the first time with the wife. Staring at the grass and the sled sitting in the garage is driving me nuts here in southern Wisconsin. Looks like it is snowing now so that should help a bit I would think. I am fine with Fair to Good trails.

RS

This wouldn't by chance be the same Jim from Holcombe Arctic Cat? If so, this is the crazy guy from Wautoma------who has a cottage in Land O' Lakes--------if you wanna ride, get ahold of me.

whitedust

Just got back from a 39 mile ride. I left Conover on 12W to 13N. Typical high traffic area with some moguls. 13N to 6E a bit better, and conditions improved a bit more when I got onto Frosty's trails. 6E had a really rough section (like 15 MPH max a few miles west of town) that I assume was because of a creek that may be keeping the groomer away. At the next intersection all was well again.

From Land 0, took 6E to 45S with the intention of heading back to Conover on 45. But for some reason I turned right on 8W. Trail was great all the way back to 13. I would rate it very good. Then 13S to 12E and back home. My detour added several miles, but I had no itinerary or time table.

Overall, I would rate the ride fair to good, closer to good.

Just got back from short ride... Had to be 5-7" freshy on the trails no ruts or bald spots just white trail with a good base. Put on 80 some miles riding to Lando on 17 / 6 zero issues. Only 1 bad thing minutes into ride on 17 & witnessed sled meets tree ..... 2up riders head on into a huge hardwood tree..... I tended to the boy that was sitting up front of dad .....the kid grabbed the throttle by mistake going into turn ....Dad could not do anything too much power hair pin turn... tree in apex of turn .... sled hit tree head on double trunk big tree....end of skidoo folded up. The boy's leg was bothering him and I'm not sure he didn't break it?... hairline fracture.... but he didn't want me looking at it but kid never moved sat side saddle of another sled all the time we were there getting crashed sled pulled out. I'm glad I was in a different time & space when it all happened ... close enough.

Gasssed at Lando rode back plenty of energy so wanted to see how 6E was Phelps to IR.....not good :( lots of branches down many very wet areas.... I mean like couple of feet of standing water next to trail & 50-100 feet standing water under trail with cavern breaks. I made it to the shooting range & turned back for home peeps going to have problems thru there Phelps should close 6E for now.

Phelps 17/6 W to Lando goodish but 6E of Phelps forget it for now way to wet too many branches down & I cleared lots just to get thru!

I'm hoping no one grooms tonight....too warm just let traffic ride it in very wet snow then groom Fridayish when gets very cold at night.....I had a ball :D and lots better than I thought but soooo warm!

JimAndros

Got home from work & thought about taking a spin. Maybe to Twin Haven or maybe Burnt Bridge or???? Instead, I shoveled & ran the skid steer. All snow cleaned up now. Mrs. Jim works Thursday so maybe I'll ride then. Last year we rode Christmas day and had the world to our selves.

Thanks for the Phelps area reports. Whitedust, I'll try to look you up on Spectacle later this week. Family ride time, will run da yoop if needed, would rather hang out closer to ER if trails are up and traffic is down.

whitedust

Got home from work & thought about taking a spin. Maybe to Twin Haven or maybe Burnt Bridge or???? Instead, I shoveled & ran the skid steer. All snow cleaned up now. Mrs. Jim works Thursday so maybe I'll ride then. Last year we rode Christmas day and had the world to our selves.
Funny Jim I got home from my ride & plow guy was here so had to run snow blower & shovel to get cleaned up for Xmas ....feeling it today.lol Found out Forest county still closed so no reason to ride 6E from Phelps just a feeder for local to access trail.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the Phelps area reports. Whitedust, I'll try to look you up on Spectacle later this week. Family ride time, will run da yoop if needed, would rather hang out closer to ER if trails are up and traffic is down.

Ride north Lando trails were aok.:)

whitedust

So with cold coming and a few more inches sounds like things should be ridable for new yrs whitedust ?

It is going to change day to day with traffic since so warm..... to groom or not to groom option until next week with cold air staying to the north 34F not helping. I would think yes rideable but no snow in 5 day forecast from local TV. I'll ride again next Wedish after family departs for holidays.

racerx

Is Twin Haven still open? Was there multiple times over the last two years and at different times and every time they were closed, and those times were the same that I always did prior years and had no problems. Was always a fav spot for the philly steak so it was a must stop multiple times per year.

pez

I was there last saturday and said hi to Mary. She opened at 4:00. Not sure what days of the week she is open though.

Is Twin Haven still open? Was there multiple times over the last two years and at different times and every time they were closed, and those times were the same that I always did prior years and had no problems. Was always a fav spot for the philly steak so it was a must stop multiple times per year.

JimAndros

OK, so here are 2 updates.
Thursday: Trail 3 south with plans to meet 17 south and head into ER for a visit. Well the short east/west section of 3 connecting 10/13 with 17 is closed because of a wet swamp. So all the way into ER then back north along Hwy 45 on 17 north. Wet area near Hiawatha Motor lodge. After that, 17 was good except for a few wet spots. I must admit, they were larger than I care for. Jumped on North Twin back to the west. Old RR grade to Conover also has a bad wet spot. Remember this was Thursday and it has been warm with traffic, so even with new snow I expect the wet areas will be there at least until tomorrow.
Today: West from Conover, 13 north to 6 west. Very little traffic and good trails with no wet areas. At intersection of 6 & 7, talked to some guys that had come from 6 west and they talked of bad wet area near Manitowish - people getting stuck!!!!. I've heard enough, so I turn & head south on 7 to 11 to lake crossing to Sayner. Traffic is heavier but not by any means bad. Trails OK but a few thin spots. 10 east to 7 north to Vinchi's. Then continue north to return to Conover via 12 esat. Decide to take a side trip to Buckatabon and take the lake. Then 13 north to 10 east and home. Absolutely no wet spots on the entire ride. Plentty of snow on all road routes. I would estimate 7" new snow over night.

F

fusion

I rode Eagle River to Conover on 70W to 7N to 10E To 13N and 45. Plenty of snow after 6 inch last night.
Problem is they arent grooming, too warm i suspect. There were good areas but ruts and ice underneath and major moguls. You arent getting anywhere fast until they groom. I'd rate them a 6.5, certainly rideable but highly annoying.
I am spoiled by memories of last year. I wont ride again until the cold sets in next few days an maybe they groom. Target Monday

JimAndros

OK, today I took another ride, this time south. So 1st off I changed the title of this thread from Conover/LOL to Conover & surrounding.

Planning on a ride to Three Lakes, I head south on 3 hoping that it is open thru the swamp to 17 but not yet. Trail was excellent until I merged with 13 then I would down grade it to very good. Went north on 17 to Chain of lakes road and took the road to 3 and out onto Eagle Lake. Followed the trail to Hwy 70 where I went east on 10. Trail was excellent again heading east. Eventually I headed south thru the forest on TL5 to Three Lakes. Jumped onto the chain at 4 Mile Lake and followed the trail to Medicine Lake where I got off at Pine Isle and took a quick ride over to Island Lake and stopped at Watercraft to warm up & visit.
Left Watercraft to return home via downtown Three Lakes to alt 13N. Again trail was excellent until the Vilas county line then horrible for about 1 mile because they can't get the groomer thru that stretch. After that, excellent to ER. Fueled up in ER then north on 13 to 3 and decided to take a side trip to Maple View. Crossed Pioneer Lake and back to Conover.

All told, 69 miles all while fresh snow was falling.

whitedust

Jim..... Phelps trails 17 & 6e was bombed out yesterday afternoon very disappointing coming back from Amasa via IR 15s.... 6e the worst trail we saw in 200 mile day. 6e had wet spots by the shooting range I get that but the rest of 6e????.....should be better. 17 now has logging by St Louis Road moving logs around at 5pm... I squeaked by but equipment left ruts & pine boughs down all over ....if logging cleared up & doing multiple groomings on 17 & 6e could be fairish with new snow....otherwise if not a gambling man give it more time.

JimAndros

Only lived here 1 year, never been east of Phelps. When you say it's OK I'll try it.

Rode to work today (yesterday was a trial run). 2 short sections of fresh groom this morning but trails were still great except for the short stretch of Alt 13. Judging from the fresh snow still drifted over the trails, I was the 1st to ride all the way to Three Lakes. On the way home, only 2 sleds until ER then a fair amount on 13N until I split off on 3 (A bit bumpy on this stretch but still OK).