Conover/Land O' Lakes

snobuilder

On 1-8-15 we rode up to ER from Laona area via Argonne and Hiles then north on I think 11? through the pines til I made
a wrong turn onto 10w? which took us down the side of Hy 70 and into ER.
I had planned on heading further north to connect with 6W through conover and then on to LOL.
My mistake wasn't a bad move because it was damn cold and after a pitstop for lunch and a warm up in ER we decided to head back and took took Alt 13 south through 3 Lakes and then 45s to Monico. Then followed Hy 8 west back home.We were making fresh tracks in the falling and drifted snow most of the way up to ER.
All trail were excellent to VG except as mentioned a short swamp area on 13 at the Co. line.
I'll bet that gets hit soon because it is now froze up well.

dothedoo

Only lived here 1 year, never been east of Phelps. When you say it's OK I'll try it.

Really? Well, if you do it once, you'll stop riding West of Phelps. lol

Was up there last Friday, headed out of my bro's place by Conover. Was planning to head to Phelps and then East on 6. Thought, ah what the heck, I'll head West on 6. Wasn't long before I realized why I always head East on 6. lol

whitedust

Was up there last Friday, headed out of my bro's place by Conover. Was planning to head to Phelps and then East on 6. Thought, ah what the heck, I'll head West on 6. Wasn't long before I realized why I always head East on 6. lol

Did you ride east of Phelps yet 6e? Did Phelps get 6e groomed out to 3 lakes Brule River connection in Alma /Nelma? 15s in MI was fine but both WI trail systems were not in good shape Wed Jan 7. That section is at the end of both clubs groomer routes so understandable.

JimAndros

Based on the assumption I am living in my "current life" I spent last winter transitioning from my "last life" so I spent time here and in the Holcombe/Sheldon area. I had one sled at each location and took 2 months off work. My snowmobiling here was all in Vilas. I also took the Sheldon-Conover solo ride end of Feb. That ride took me thru Jump River (Taylor CTY), Hawkins (Rusk CTY). into Sawyer where I caught the Tuscobia Trail to Park Falls. Then east to LDF, Sayner and finally home. It was all done "winging it" as I forgot all my maps in Conover.

My "last life" lasted 8 plus years and I snowmobiled Chippewa, Barron, Clark, Taylor, Rusk, Price, Sawyer and into Ashland once. Problem was several years of poor snow conditions. The 2011/2012 winter saw our trails open March 1st for 5 days. I was so disgusted that I never rode my sled other than in my field for a few passes.

My "2 last lives ago" I lived in Pierce County and snowmobiled Pierce, Pepin, St Croix, Dunn and into Barron. I also chased snow a few times into Sawyer, Washburn, Rusk and Iron Counties. That was back when I had lots of vacation & more money.

Pete, we should get together sometime. Most Tuesdays & Thursdays work for me.

whitedust

Based on the assumption I am living in my "current life" I spent last winter transitioning from my "last life" so I spent time here and in the Holcombe/Sheldon area. I had one sled at each location and took 2 months off work. My snowmobiling here was all in Vilas. I also took the Sheldon-Conover solo ride end of Feb. That ride took me thru Jump River (Taylor CTY), Hawkins (Rusk CTY). into Sawyer where I caught the Tuscobia Trail to Park Falls. Then east to LDF, Sayner and finally home. It was all done "winging it" as I forgot all my maps in Conover.

My "last life" lasted 8 plus years and I snowmobiled Chippewa, Barron, Clark, Taylor, Rusk, Price, Sawyer and into Ashland once. Problem was several years of poor snow conditions. The 2011/2012 winter saw our trails open March 1st for 5 days. I was so disgusted that I never rode my sled other than in my field for a few passes.

My "2 last lives ago" I lived in Pierce County and snowmobiled Pierce, Pepin, St Croix, Dunn and into Barron. I also chased snow a few times into Sawyer, Washburn, Rusk and Iron Counties. That was back when I had lots of vacation & more money.

Pete, we should get together sometime. Most Tuesdays & Thursdays work for me.

Venturenorth has Tuesday & Thursday off so that has become our riding schedule.You are welcome to join us but know we do big miles in MI get out of Vilas ASAP each ride. Always will do 175 miles often more than 200 miles a day but since starting our 2 a weeks next week we are looking for easy riding on Thursdays...not sure what routes right now? If I get the itch other days I mostly ride the Kimball to 3 lakes & U turn just want to ridee 3 hoursish so fill up at Wayside then home. The trouble with that route is I have 5 miles on Kentuck Lake Rd to get to 10E boring & not a lot of snow lube to get there. If you want to join us Tuesday let me know venturenorth itching for Mt Arvon. lol Side note I know Clark county well 1 of my fav areas.:)

JimAndros

Update from this week's riding.

ER was able to groom Alt 13 south to the county line thru the swamp, nice & smooth but by Fri afternoon, standing water. Trails were crazy busy Fri afternoon/evening & Sat. Trails took a beating from Fri morn to Fri evening.

Headed out Sat morning to meet friends that were staying in MW. Plan was to meet in Star Lake. They made a wrong turn & ended up by Pope's Gresham resort, so new plan was meet at Boulder Beer Bar. Trails were good Conover to Star Lake (8:30 - 9:30AM). Traffic picked up crazy fast heading to Boulder on 15N. Trails got soft & busy in a hurry. After BJ, Headed N on 15 to 6E. Heavy traffic until we turned east & trails soft, I guess OK cond. As we neared Lando, trails got worse & traffic picked up. Left Land-o on 6E towards Phelps, trails were somewhat better heading that way. Jumped on Vieux Desert at the west landing. Lake was rough with lots of fisherman. Exited at Thunder Bay and continued to Phelps, trails OK. Jumped on North Twin lake and ran to the west end. East 2/3rds of lake was rough. Rail grade was rough heading back west to Conover.

Bottom line, probably the busiest and roughest trails since I lived here. Too much for me. I have to agree with Whitedust.

live4now

Update from this week's riding.

ER was able to groom Alt 13 south to the county line thru the swamp, nice & smooth but by Fri afternoon, standing water. Trails were crazy busy Fri afternoon/evening & Sat. Trails took a beating from Fri morn to Fri evening.

Headed out Sat morning to meet friends that were staying in MW. Plan was to meet in Star Lake. They made a wrong turn & ended up by Pope's Gresham resort, so new plan was meet at Boulder Beer Bar. Trails were good Conover to Star Lake (8:30 - 9:30AM). Traffic picked up crazy fast heading to Boulder on 15N. Trails got soft & busy in a hurry. After BJ, Headed N on 15 to 6E. Heavy traffic until we turned east & trails soft, I guess OK cond. As we neared Lando, trails got worse & traffic picked up. Left Land-o on 6E towards Phelps, trails were somewhat better heading that way. Jumped on Vieux Desert at the west landing. Lake was rough with lots of fisherman. Exited at Thunder Bay and continued to Phelps, trails OK. Jumped on North Twin lake and ran to the west end. East 2/3rds of lake was rough. Rail grade was rough heading back west to Conover.

Bottom line, probably the busiest and roughest trails since I lived here. Too much for me. I have to agree with Whitedust.

I agree. Trails were extremely busy and rough Saturday! Busiest weekend I ever seen up here.

whitedust

I agree. Trails were extremely busy and rough Saturday! Busiest weekend I ever seen up here.

MLK on Monday too....my sled leaves the barn Tuesday heading straight North to Lanse with buds. What can you do peeps come here to ride for vacation & Derby?..... you either wait or join the circus.:)

nhra1000

One of the busiest weekends I've seen up here.... We did 60 miles and it was nuts..... Nobody else has snow.... Derby.... MLK... Probably all contributed.

whitedust

One of the busiest weekends I've seen up here.... We did 60 miles and it was nuts..... Nobody else has snow.... Derby.... MLK... Probably all contributed.

Yes exactly what I'm hearing from buds about this weekend perfect storm of events lined up to beat trails from Vilas all the way to Sidnaw just was bombed out impossible for groomers to keep up. :( IDK....but hope the onslaught is over & will know more on Tuesday ride. Don't see any downstate storms to ease the crush take it 1 day at a time I guess.

Willbuzz

Rode all day Sat, left 3 lakes and rode to phelps and trails were amazing in the morning, met some traffic which i was expecting. Went from Phelps to Lando and wasn't bad, from Lando to Star Lake to Sayner to St Germain and back to ER to 3L was a nightmare with traffic and limited snow in the corners, some patches of trail would go from great to poor, with the traffic and snow nothing anyone can do. 170 mile day on derby weekend will make anyone tired and surley by days end i guess. All in all a good day on the iron with my boy. The area sure could use another 4-6 inches to freshen things up. Hats off to the groomers the ride was better than sitting at home!

upnorthman

I second that Willbuzz, we rode all over Vilas and it was good friday but went down hill Saturday afternoon and even on sunday. They grooming what they had but the warm weatherer was not kind to the trails. More snow and cold temps and it will be good again. I have never seen so many people on the trails in my life other than Xmas New Year week. Usually you can ride west and beat the traffic of the derby but not this week. 250 with the family and the club. Tons of fun and better than at home.

Me and my daughter just got back from a 1200 mile trip in MI on the 17th....it was already getting beat up on Friday! Derby weekend, one of the worst of the year for traffic, especially with no snow anywhere south.

Jim, try to catch you next time I'm in Lando!

JimAndros

Ops, I can't believe it's been almost a month since I've updated this, sorry. I've been out several times per week, so I have no excuse.

All Conover trails are good or better. The one possible exception is 13 north of Hwy K. That is the trail that carries the most traffic from Er to Land-O.

i was out today, rode 3S to 13S to ER. Hardly a bump all the way to downtown ER. Saw 4 sleds on that segment. Fueled up at D&S then back N on 17 to Phelps. A few bumps on the narrow twisty part when I first entered Phelps trail system but then smooth as soon as I entered the forest lands. Saw 2 sled all the way to Phelps. A quick warm up at the Great Escape then across the lake to Twin Haven. Several sleds heading east on the lake. Trails back to Conover all smooth.

jim, whitedust and i invite you to join us if you wanna ride loops in conover, phelps, i alvin areas or beyond....long day rides on tues and thurs ....avg 200 mi days normal....pm us if interested

whitedust

jim, whitedust and i invite you to join us if you wanna ride loops in conover, phelps, i alvin areas or beyond....long day rides on tues and thurs ....avg 200 mi days normal....pm us if interested

X2 Jim join us as you are Xcrossing our routes in the area. We can stay in Vilas if you want or take a longer ride with us Tues & Thursday probabaly not over 200 miles when we ride UP back by 5 ish. Ken I'll ride after lunch today sent you an email not sure if you are at work still? .....I will head west into Conover today for a putz ride...will know if I see you. :)