Copper Falls State Park WI

garyl62

Anyone been here or know anything about it? Thinking of going in early Oct, hoping to catch the colors. Have any suggested campsites or ones to stay away from? Besides hiking and the falls, any other things to see/do in the area?

mikes99ss

I stopped there on the motorcycle this spring. Cool place. Kinda out there. There is a covered bridge 25-30 miles away and Ashland is 20 or so miles north. Not sure if that helps any but......

eagle1

We took day trip up there to see falls and hike but was probably 10 years ago. Nice trails viewing of falls. Should be beautiful in fall. Don't remember much about the campsites.

elf

We camped there about 5 yrs ago. Beautiful place, hiking trails are nice. But, there really isn't anything else in close proximity to do.

garyl62

Thanks guys. Anyone else have thoughts? Reserved a site, but now debating about going back to Bewabic by Crystal Falls. Always nice to go new places, but sounds like more to do around Iron River.

Also found out after making the reservation I'll need to buy a WI parks pass. That adds $37 for 3 nights to the camp fee. Not as much as a MI Trail Sticker :) but is it worth it for just one weekend? (Too bad I'm not posting in the Misc threads, we could start that discussion early this year)

jr37

We stayed there a few years ago, and have also made a day trip there in the past. It is a beautiful place. Make sure you take the time to walk the trails. There is not much else in the area, but a good place to relax.

We were in site no. 9. I think you will miss the fall colors that late. I think you need to be there about the third week in September.

Last edited:

garyl62

We stayed there a few years ago... I think you will miss the fall colors that late. I think you need to be there about the third week in September.

Guess that means I'll either skip the colors or the trail work weekend :) To bad that has to be the weekend since my wife works in the schools so I just I'll enjoy the colors of the UP on the trail work weekend by myself.

We just canceled the reservation at Copper Falls. To many comments about not much else to do in the area, and I was concerned about missing the colors. Now may go to SW lower and see if the colors have held, or maybe go back to the UP knowing the colors are past peak, but we can relax in the midst of the Northwoods and enjoy the smell of the pines and the quiet of just getting away.

LoveMyDobe

Thanks guys. Anyone else have thoughts? Reserved a site, but now debating about going back to Bewabic by Crystal Falls. Always nice to go new places, but sounds like more to do around Iron River.

Also found out after making the reservation I'll need to buy a WI parks pass. That adds $37 for 3 nights to the camp fee. Not as much as a MI Trail Sticker :) but is it worth it for just one weekend? (Too bad I'm not posting in the Misc threads, we could start that discussion early this year)

Iron River has some great campgrounds. My favorites are TopOtheMorn, new owners are really nice. Also Flying Eagle in Delta.