Cost and time to replace new entry door

jjj70095

The window company on rt 70 in Minocqua says it is a window glass issue and a new glass replacement will cost around $300 and take 6-8 weeks.Will go that route.

Sweep800

My next project is to replace the front entry door to my house this spring or summer, since old door is forming moisture at window area with my new furnace I just had installed. It is a standard white door with a window up top. Menards has doors for $200-500.

How long does it take a handyman to replace the old door with a new door it and what is a reasonable price?
Go with a Therma-Tru, way better quality. I’m a carpenter of 37(maybe 38) years, it’s what I always recommend. The biggest thing to make the job easy is to make it fit into existing opening. Super simple to swap it out. Built my house 27 years ago and just replaced my Therma-Tru door last year. It’s on the west side of the house as well. Takes a beating from Mother Nature! Cost a little more but IMO well worth it!

Do you have storm door? Skip window replacement, get a storm door. Replace whole door not just the window. Check marketplace for whole door when you get time after storm door. Yes you will be installing storm door twice. Just a suggestion

jjj70095

Update: The moisture on window has stopped. No dampness at all. I do not understand. Was it because now we have some snow on the ground?

smokenjoe

Update: The moisture on window has stopped. No dampness at all. I do not understand. Was it because now we have some snow on the ground?
It’s actually been damp up until this past week with the above average temps and rain. Lots of humidity in the air. The colder temps are starting to make it dryer air in my house, furnace fan running all the time will help with those issue, adjust humidistat if you have one and keep ceiling fans running to move the air. This will all help with moisture on windows.
I entertained three different times this past month and had a hard time cooling my house down, couldn’t even have a fire it was too hot and even had windows and doors open the whole time I had people in the house.

Tim in Indiana

I shoot for 40 in the winter. Normally it isn't easy to get it that high. This winter has been easy so far, it's too damp and not cold enough yet.

goofy600

Humidity is also relative to outside temp yes 35-55 is ideal but as temps drop the condensation that builds up in windows also happens if you have humidity that high even with the best windows. When you start getting teens and single digits 25% might put condensation on windows. Inside temp isn’t as much of a factor as outside temp. But cooler inside temps as apposed higher probably causes some of the moisture.

ezra

Omho If going menerds do a composite frame with a pvc door . The steel doors are ok but do transfer a decent amount of cold .they dent .they rust they need paint .
As far as install again open question . Is the sill level is the sill solid ? Is old door have layers of calk up to brick mold with 1/2 ass sidding or is it steel or vinyl with j ? Fuked up old house with goofy Jamb sizes ? Is hole level and plumb? Ie tampered ext jambs .
Are you dealing with trash or is installer ? Are you painting and patching ?
To install a door in ideal circumstances 2 hrs poss 3 with demo etc .
Just putting one in a hole and trimming inside perfect cond ie new construction 1.5hr
Ok that said I have been on door installs for a whole day and had to go back another partal to wrap it up and still no paint . If I hard bid a old house I figure worst case and dubble it
Most just do a t&m and end up around 4 to 800 labor

ezra

As far as the guy who Said don't hire a handyman again big swing of handy men out there. I was a contractor for over 30 yrs from basic baths to 240k kitchens and everything in-between. Now days winding down don't take to many big jobs and do mostly handy work for existing customers or there now adult kids lol. I know Anderson guys I would not want installing a storm door . And some top of the game and can do rolling walls alone . Know your guy others know your guy trust your guy that is the guy

chunk06

Omho If going menerds do a composite frame with a pvc door . The steel doors are ok but do transfer a decent amount of cold .they dent .they rust they need paint .
As far as install again open question . Is the sill level is the sill solid ? Is old door have layers of calk up to brick mold with 1/2 ass sidding or is it steel or vinyl with j ? Fuked up old house with goofy Jamb sizes ? Is hole level and plumb? Ie tampered ext jambs .
Are you dealing with trash or is installer ? Are you painting and patching ?
To install a door in ideal circumstances 2 hrs poss 3 with demo etc .
Just putting one in a hole and trimming inside perfect cond ie new construction 1.5hr
Ok that said I have been on door installs for a whole day and had to go back another partal to wrap it up and still no paint . If I hard bid a old house I figure worst case and dubble it
Most just do a t&m and end up around 4 to 800 labor
Caulk up to the brick mold brings back some bad memories. I did two entry doors on a house a few years ago and I had a hour each in getting the caulk off the aluminum siding to prep to re caulk, whatever brand it was from the 90's that they used was like nothing i ever had to remove. Just one of the many things the customer does not understand when you can not give a firm price.

favoritos

Caulk up to the brick mold brings back some bad memories. I did two entry doors on a house a few years ago and I had a hour each in getting the caulk off the aluminum siding to prep to re caulk, whatever brand it was from the 90's that they used was like nothing i ever had to remove. Just one of the many things the customer does not understand when you can not give a firm price.
Cheap bid would probably just leave the old stuff and cover it with a thicker layer. ;)