Crossfire 7 running hot

saber

Friends 06 Crossfire 7 w/1200 miles is running hot in low snow conditions on the trail. every 3 miles or so the Check Engine light will start to flash. So in we go to the ditch or field for a little ways and the light goes off.

The 3 other sleds in our group (Renegade 600's) are fine with no problems.

Are the Crossfires more prone to this due to a smaller heat exchanger? The coolant level is good and I tried to bleed the system of any air pockets that may be there.

russr

depending on when your xfire was built . .the early builds had a smaller
heat exchanger. vs the late build 06's you can upgrade up to the larger
or perhaps put some scracthers on.. another thing to check is make sure its not incased into ice.. they will look like a block of ice around it keeping the
air from hitting it also.

scott_l

I have an 06 FireCat and like others have said I have had my light come on and found the entire tunnel was a big ice cube (with a gap between the ice and heat exchanger). I have also added a set of scratches, but only use them when the trails are ice, it helps.

On the fireCats the running boards are also part of the cooling system (the coolant runs through the out side edge of the boards). I am not particularly keen on this but again when the sled is running hot or I am running in low snow conditions I can stop and pack my running boards full of snow and it HELPS a LOT to keep the sled cool.

I have heard of an additive that you can add to your coolant that is supposed to help the sled run cooler but don't know what it is called nor have I ever used it.

Good luck

XFIRE1

early build crossfires are known for running hot, because of the small heat exchanger.. you will notice it more when it is really cold, heat exchanger is hot enough to turn the snow to water and refreezes making a cocoon around the exchanger.
best thing you can do is make sure it is free of ice and when you stop some where for any length of time make sure you break the big ice chunk off before you start out .
I have the same sled and have notice that the sled will run hotter at night (colder temps) and if you are running on well used trails there is not to much cooling from the sugared snow.
once you get into a routine and know when its going to happen it is really not a problem...

Falcon20

If I remember correctly the additive for cooler temps is called "Water Wetter". It is a clear pinkish fluid in a clear 8-12 oz. bottle. Most parts stores should have it, at least they do in Florida. If you know any asphalt/dirt racers they'll know who carries it.

dab102999

Yea water wetter. Can find it at any parts store. Will take at least 10 deg off your running temp if not more. I run it in everything water cooled now. Really sold me on it with my truck, I did a few mods and noticed I was running about 220/230. Place I got the mods from sugested water wetter and it took me down to around 190 running temp. It takes like 1 once per quart of coolant. Also how long has it been since you changed the coolant. Might run a little cooler with new coolant. Well placed ice scratchers are worth every penny in my experiance.

ezra

eb snow flaps mount a bit diff also so it helps wedge snow and ice to make it hollow out around exchanger.I would find a used exchanger from a mid yr build or latter.my bud fit a old mud flap between tunnel and exchanger down to flap to keep snow and Ice off the flap shelf works a bit better