Dining and Nightlife recommendations for Houghton area...

snobinge

We have a group of 15-20 fellas heading up to the Houghton area on the 28th. This is an annual guys trip. We are looking for recommendations of dining/nightlife and anything else that are must do's in this area. Some of us ride the UP regularly, but usually ride off-trail out of Mass and stay south of the bridge. We will be making more ground and on this trip due to more than half of the group being trail riders. I have heard Carmalitas??? in Calumet is good...what else?
Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• SB MOUNTAIN.jpg
    SB MOUNTAIN.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 7

cuzzinolaf

We have a group of 15-20 fellas heading up to the Houghton area on the 28th. This is an annual guys trip. We are looking for recommendations of dining/nightlife and anything else that are must do's in this area. Some of us ride the UP regularly, but usually ride off-trail out of Mass and stay south of the bridge. We will be making more ground and on this trip due to more than half of the group being trail riders. I have heard Carmalitas??? in Calumet is good...what else?
Thanks for any input.

Library in Houghton has great food.

footinforever

library

I think the place is called the library.. very large and terrific menu, tons of beer on tap, lots of top shelf liquor.. More of mid range, to higher end place (for the Yoop) but well worth it, right in town, not too far from bridge or the citgo.. Been there twice and have loved it both times.

man_scout

Houghton has some great places to offer.

Good places to eat are:
-Ambassador (Pizza)
-The Rock House Grill & Tavern (Sports Bar and Fine food)
-Pilgrim River Steak House

Night Life:
-Down Towner
-KBC (Micro Brewery)
-The Dog

Have fun and stay safe!

Three suggestions...

Uphill 41 in hancock for nightlife.....at least 10 years ago.
Ambassador downtown Houghton for pizza and sandwiches.
Waterfront restaurant and lounge @ the Ramada Hancock for a "Packer Backer" sandwich.

My .02

rocketman356

4 that many yaa going ur going 2 have 2 import so yaa better call a house in the Soo or call Holly @ the Cliffview in Phoneix for cabins and staff.

Last edited:

snobinge

I heard about a drink called a qualude at some bar in the area...guy said you have to go check it out.
Anyone know where this is at?

thebreeze

Kbc

The Keewenaw Brewing Co. is my favorite bar with awesome beers and nice atmosphere. However, Friday and Saturday night the place is a liberal hippie haven after 9.

rsvectordude

I heard about a drink called a qualude at some bar in the area...guy said you have to go check it out.
Anyone know where this is at?

That is a fishbowl at the Ambassador!!

QUALUDE
Vodka, Southern Comfort, Creme de Almond,Triple Sec, Orange Juice and Sprite.
$7.75

Last edited:

asmski

I'll add a post for the Library for dinner. Very good food.

I'll also second the Cliffview for mid-day entertainment. In Houghton the DT, Dog, and KBC are your best bets for nightlife.

technologic

Breakfast - Hilltop in Lanse (for me hands down), Kaleva in Hancock (I think it's still open), or Suimi (sp?) in Houghton downtown

Fud - Michigan House in Calumet (thought it's debatable and kinda small for your group), Loading zone in Lake Lindon (I really like their ribs and Pizza). All the others above a pretty good choices also!

Edit - oh ya: The Hutt just north of Calumet on 41/28. Mmmmmm - the Danwich..... and Pasties.....

SkiDude 51

You can find some fine ladies over in Hancock at the UpHill 41, the Houghton area's finest(and only) dance club. The Downtowner next to the bridge is by far the largest college bar in that area. The Ambassador has more than just the Qualude as far as speciallty drinks go. Keweenaw Brewing Co. has excelent micro brew beer and that is it. Don't plan on going in there for anything but their beer. I watched a guy try to order a Coors Light there and it didn't go over so well. The Douglas House, aka "the Dog" is a little more laid back that the Downtowner. If you give me a heads up of when you will be up there, I'm sure I could find you some wild house parties if your interested in showing up the college kids. I know a few kids still partying away up there.

ezra

well you said 1/2 the group are trail only riders great after the first 6 go over the pow on the logging roads the other 18 will have a groomed trail