DNR chief suspends mobile snowmobile patrol in northern Wisconsin

arctiva

When you get stopped 3 times in 40 miles, tell me how much safer that is making the trails. This was the case 3 years ago for me. Now I ask and avoid the areas where they camp out.

If your not doing anything wrong whats the problem with getting stopped 3 times in 40 miles? Is it really that much of a inconvience?? How many stop signs in that 40 miles did you have to stop at? Was it to many? Guess my thought is if a person is really worried about Law Enforcement on a public trail maybe they should stick to private land so they can do whatever they want to.

So the consensus i get is the DNR/police should look the other way when it comes to
events like cruiser fest or any given weekend for that matter because people are on vacation and should be able to do whatever they want because they spend money.

renegade

It seems obvious to me that if the same people are getting stopped three times in forty miles that is a huge waste of state law enforcement dollars. According to the arcticle posted above there were 4 differant agencies patroling the trails, sounds more like a maximum security prison than a free society.

arctiva

It seems obvious to me that if the same people are getting stopped three times in forty miles that is a huge waste of state law enforcement dollars. According to the arcticle posted above there were 4 differant agencies patroling the trails, sounds more like a maximum security prison than a free society.[/QUOTE

Sounds to me like there doing there job and makeing there presence known and people complain. Its not much diference with police if people knew they were never around more people would do 90 miles a hour. If You know wardens are patrolling the trail maybe more people wouldnt hit up the bars or be so worried about what kind of Smoke they carry on them!!!

Wonder how many auto DUI's were handed out after the super bowl this year. I bet not no wheres near as many as could have been. I was in mauston shortlly afterwards and i think every city cop as well as every county cop were lined up waiting for the patrons to leave the bars in mauston.

Free society yes but there is LAWS..

lookin4snow

If your not doing anything wrong whats the problem with getting stopped 3 times in 40 miles? Is it really that much of a inconvience??

The answer is yes. I have done nothing wrong. Why do I need to stop, take off my helmet, get out my registration card, and explain myself three times in the course of a couple hours. I shouldn't. Whatever happened to probable cause? That's right, I am guilty until I prove myself innocent?

I agree with them having a presence on the trails to arrest those not playing by the rules. There is an intimidation factor with presence that is OK. The problem is that they have taken things too far. Entrapment is not acceptable.

I shouldn't be hassled 3 times driving my car home from the Superbowl, and sure shouldn't be hassled 3 times leaving Cruiserfest.

I'll just keep my sober butt riding in areas other than Cruiserfest or any other organized event just to avoid the hassle and the possibility of a ticket because I did not make a pregnant pause at every stop sign.

favoritos

When you get stopped 3 times in 40 miles, tell me how much safer that is making the trails. This was the case 3 years ago for me. Now I ask and avoid the areas where they camp out.

You were not the only person.
"Among those voicing their concerns were Scott Cisney, the president of the Cross Country Cruisers Snowmobile Club, and Minocqua town chairman Mark Hartzheim.

In an email to Stepp, Cisney said his club's Cruiserfest was not only the club's largest fundraiser but the area's largest winter event, boosting the winter economy and attracting hundreds of snowmobilers and their families.

Cisney said his club's review of last year's events indicated that four different law enforcement units converged on Minocqua, including local DNR wardens, the Northern Highland State Forest Rangers Enforcement, SART, and the State Park Rangers covering the Bearskin Trail, apparently without coordinating with each other.

"It quickly became apparent that the four 'agencies' didn't seem to know each other were coming and had also not coordinated with the local police and sheriff's departments," Cisney wrote. "The end result was a perceived attack on the event and local economy by local businesses, residents and attendees."

To cite one example, Cisney said he and his wife and children rode a 40-mile loop to the event and were stopped three different times by the DNR, only finding out later they each represented three different arms of the agency."

Part of this arcticle.
http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=12658
Sounds like part of the decision was about their budget.

john w

If your not doing anything wrong whats the problem with getting stopped 3 times in 40 miles? Is it really that much of a inconvience?? How many stop signs in that 40 miles did you have to stop at? Was it to many? Guess my thought is if a person is really worried about Law Enforcement on a public trail maybe they should stick to private land so they can do whatever they want to.

So the consensus i get is the DNR/police should look the other way when it comes to
events like cruiser fest or any given weekend for that matter because people are on vacation and should be able to do whatever they want because they spend money.

Back at ya dude !!!

If you are that scared of riding with people drinking, maybe you should stay on private property when you ride !!!

I on the other hand will have a couple when i ride, I will stay on my side of trail and follow all rules and regs.

If you have a lost a friend or family member from a dui crash, I apologize.

If not give it a rest, cause were tired of hearing you whine about drinking and riding.

rocketman356

if your not doing anything wrong whats the problem with getting stopped 3 times in 40 miles? Is it really that much of a inconvience?? How many stop signs in that 40 miles did you have to stop at? Was it to many? Guess my thought is if a person is really worried about law enforcement on a public trail maybe they should stick to private land so they can do whatever they want to.

So the consensus i get is the dnr/police should look the other way when it comes to

do you get pull over every 40 miles miles in a vehicle ,,,,,,its plain and simple haressment and revenue generating bs

Last edited:

POLARIS TURBO

I got pulled over twice in 5 miles in illinois trail and it is a pain in the arse ,taking off the helmet ,finding my wallet to get the registration out and what not, although the dnr officers were really cool and said they didnt know of the other officers that were down the trails !! I do like the thought of if my sled got ripped off maybe the thief would get busted. Also i believe if you dont have a trail pass and registration you should get ticketed b/c some of that money goes to the trails !! Just my 2 cents

rocketman356

I got pulled over twice in 5 miles in illinois trail and it is a pain in the arse ,taking off the helmet ,finding my wallet to get the registration out and what not, although the dnr officers were really cool and said they didnt know of the other officers that were down the trails !! I do like the thought of if my sled got ripped off maybe the thief would get busted. Also i believe if you dont have a trail pass and registration you should get ticketed b/c some of that money goes to the trails !! Just my 2 cents

*** they can see ur stickers the same as plates

arctiva

Back at ya dude !!!

If you are that scared of riding with people drinking, maybe you should stay on private property when you ride !!!

I on the other hand will have a couple when i ride, I will stay on my side of trail and follow all rules and regs.

If you have a lost a friend or family member from a dui crash, I apologize.

If not give it a rest, cause were tired of hearing you whine about drinking and riding.

Seems to me the ones doing the drinking or profiting from the drinking are the ones doing the whineing. And as i stated in my 1st post just goes to show whats important in this state and whats not so much

xcr440

Seems to me the ones doing the drinking or profiting from the drinking are the ones doing the whineing. And as i stated in my 1st post just goes to show whats important in this state and whats not so much

Obviously drinking and riding are not condoned, and no one is here trying to, nor will we convince you of something that will change your opinion or your tone of your replies to this topic.

However, I have stated this before, and I'll state it again.

DNR: Do some good.

Just get out there and ride. Forget the check points, forget the stupid complete stop bs. Get out there and ride and watch how riders respond, or more likely NOT respond.

If the DNR wants to do some real good, get out there and ride the trails, and stop the stupid. 5 minutes WITHOUT a ticket will do more good than 99% of their feet planted stops.

JMO

eyeman

I read earlier in this thread that morale is low within the DNR ranks. I suspect that is accurate given the state of the State financially, and because of the methods taught to those on patrol. "The hunter, fisherman, snowmobiler is wrong first, so be tough, firm and on guard because you just never know." This State trooper mentality has to take a toll on the individuals doing the patrolling. The reputation has been earned, but we need to remember that it's not everyone.
A quick story from an evening in St. Germaine. A buddy, my son and I had supper in an unnamed bar in the middle of town. We suited up then jumped on the sleds to head home to Hazelhurst - Aprox 20 miles. After a couple of blocks in town and several road crossings, a county car patrol officer noted an expired sticker on my sons sled and flipped on the lights. Most of the sticker had fallen off and the other side was in tact. He looked over the sleds, asked our names, where we were going then suggested getting that sticker replaced. Several miles down the road, he had set up at another road crossing - when he saw the 3 of us, he smiled, waved and gave us a thumbs up. His attitude was just the opposite of most and left a very reasonable flavor with us.

It's just too bad that this "I'm a nice guy, working for you, looking out for your best interest" approach isn't the norm.

t_man

It's how you do it

I've posted on here before about some of the out of control tactics we've experienced with the WI DNR.

To start with we don't drink until after the sleds are parked for the day and always do our best to obey all signs, laws, etc.

I've only had positive experiences dealing with the MI DNR, and other than many years ago the MN DNR. They have quickly checked things out, been very polite, and given a nice wave or have a great ride/day response. I came away thinking they are very professional, doing their job but trying to minimize the inconvenience to me.

My experiences with WI DNR are the opposite. Similar to what someone stated above, they have treated us like scum from the start every time. Aside from our rediculous speeding ticket incident, I've experienced stunts similar to the "hood up" one described above. Three years ago in St. Germain I came upon a guy staggering in the road next to a sled resting at a weird angle in the snow next to the road. I stopped to help, thinking the guy may have been in an accident or in distress somehow. Turned out to be a DNR agent trying to get people to stop to check them out. It was a totally confusing situation, and potentially dangerous as he and the sled were hard to see in the dark. I saw his DNR patch at the same time he told me to "get the **** out of here".

I'm happy to see these patrols stopped. Our group that follows all the rules has ridden in MI the last two years and has vowed not to go to St. Germain again strictly due to the WI DNR.

No problem with respectful/professional DNR stops and would like to think they are out there doing their best to keep the trails safe. IMHO, WI DNR was out of control.

ridindirty800

I read earlier in this thread that morale is low within the DNR ranks. I suspect that is accurate given the state of the State financially, and because of the methods taught to those on patrol. "The hunter, fisherman, snowmobiler is wrong first, so be tough, firm and on guard because you just never know." This State trooper mentality has to take a toll on the individuals doing the patrolling. The reputation has been earned, but we need to remember that it's not everyone.
A quick story from an evening in St. Germaine. A buddy, my son and I had supper in an unnamed bar in the middle of town. We suited up then jumped on the sleds to head home to Hazelhurst - Aprox 20 miles. After a couple of blocks in town and several road crossings, a county car patrol officer noted an expired sticker on my sons sled and flipped on the lights. Most of the sticker had fallen off and the other side was in tact. He looked over the sleds, asked our names, where we were going then suggested getting that sticker replaced. Several miles down the road, he had set up at another road crossing - when he saw the 3 of us, he smiled, waved and gave us a thumbs up. His attitude was just the opposite of most and left a very reasonable flavor with us.

It's just too bad that this "I'm a nice guy, working for you, looking out for your best interest" approach isn't the norm.

I posted on a thread that was started on area conditions about this that in my experience with cops vs DNR that all my stops by police have been very friendly and no problems. And most of my stops by DNR have been not so friendly. I am sure this is only a coincidence but just what I have noticed. I am also assuming that the county car you were talking about was police and not DNR.

rakins800

I drink reasonably when I ride,same as I do when driving my vehicle. And I've stopped at trail crossings to take a break when Marquette County Sheriff deputys are there taking a break as well. NEVER had a bad experience with these guys. And yes,helmets were off. talked about everything from the weather,where we are staying,the Kenicott mine project and it's impact on the area,and how some morons ride. They always treat us with respect,and vice-versa. I've got a SLP pipe and can on a 08 dragon 700. they even told me it sounded legal to them. Never a problem. Thats why I ride in Michigan for a week at a time 3 times a year on average. I go where I'm welcomed............

stealthv

Here's another perspective to think about - If everyone was following the rules, the DNR would quickly be bored. With no revenue being generated, their existence in a society of bankrupt governments woudn't be justified.

The problem with that scenario is not all snowmobiliers are following the rules. So here's my challenge to the snowmobile world -- Have your registration and trail stickers in order, stop at the stop signs, don't drink and ride and stay off private property. Drive the DNR insane with perfect riders. Seems pretty simple to me.

ridindirty800

Here's another perspective to think about - If everyone was following the rules, the DNR would quickly be bored. With no revenue being generated, their existence in a society of bankrupt governments woudn't be justified.

The problem with that scenario is not all snowmobiliers are following the rules. So here's my challenge to the snowmobile world -- Have your registration and trail stickers in order, stop at the stop signs, don't drink and ride and stay off private property. Drive the DNR insane with perfect riders. Seems pretty simple to me.

I think that's actually the problem! There are such a small amount of people they see breaking the law they are bored now they just mess with everybody or they would have nothing to do!

united

Taxpayers paying $250,000 to harass taxpayers is ridiculous in any economy.

Last time I looked, checkpoints remained illegal in WI. I would say that the actions of the DNR described here (if true) at the very least are not only overzealous but possibly in violation of WI law.