Dnr in boulder jct wi

Banks93

C'mon guys. This is NOT a new law. Anyone who has been riding since the late 1990's has to have read this law if they have ever read through the law book. I teach snowmobile safety classs and I absolutely drill it into the kids that they need to have their certification with them when they ride only until the day they die. I tell them this at least 4 times during the course. I also enforce this law. My daughter is subject to this law, and she is 23 now. Still makes sure she has her certificate with her if she's out riding. There is no way to check on the side of the trail if someone has the certification or not. It's not a big thing. Just put the dang thing in your wallet and leave it there. If you lose it, go on the DNR website and order a new one. It is not the fault of the DNR that they didn't have their certificates with them. I don't love writing tickets to young riders- or any of them- but we do have a job to do. Snowmobile Safety is an important thing and having the card with you is no more difficult than bringing money with you when riding.

Requiring any person who can fight and die for their country to have to carry a card around IMHO is a stupid law. Take a class is one thing but carry a card all the time is a little bit childish.

mxz_chris

sledboy wins the prize for figuring it out.... there's no way to confirm if you have a certificate just by looking at the machine as it passes (unlike a trail sticker) so you HAVE to be stopped, talked to, get out your wallet, take off your helmet, etc. (otherwise known as the alcohol check). And yes, if you're not drinking and are legal, you have nothing to worry about. But you have to admit, being stopped every trip up north for a certificate or what have you, is more than annoying. If you got stopped every week on your way to work in your car, would you complain? I have to think the answer is YES. Since most of us can't ride every week- it doesn't seem like a big deal to be stopped once or twice a season, but if you only go on 2-3 trips- that's high in my opinion. I understand it's the law and don't think it's that big of a deal to carry a cert w/ you along w/ your drivers license. But stopping people for these 'checks' is what's a little ridiculous. I've NEVER been pulled over in my car just to confirm I have a drivers license. They want to see it when I've been speeding or whatever- and that's fine. But it seems boating, snowmobiling, fishing, etc- the DNR now have a zillion reasons to hassle you- all under the umbrella of 'safety check'. At some point- you gotta call BS.

That being said, I haven't seen DNR in probably 5 yrs. I really don't have any complaints personally. But these stories make it sound like I've just been lucky to not be in the location they are- or they would have found something- or at least had me pulled over for 20 minutes looking for something.

I agree. getting pulled over just to see if I am NOT doing anything wrong seems counterintuitive. We as auto operators would be calling our congressmen if we were stopped even every tenth time we drove our cars, much less 2 or 3 times in one day, as I have been stopped, just see if we had our drivers licenses with us.

Banks93

Excellent example your setting for your young son....NOT. I love how door knobs who don't agree with a law feel that they're entitled to break it to demonstrate their rebellion.

You also going to let your son drive an automobile at age 15 without properly being licensed? If not, why would you let him operate a snowmobile without being properly certified. The certification is like having to go thru drivers ed. Snowmobiles are very powerful fast machines...and a few required hours spent learning how to safely operate and ride is not as dumb as you might believe. And for the same reasons we don't allow parents the sole responsibility for training their kids to drive autos, you don't have the sole responsibility for educating your son on snowmobile operation, and I think in your case it's obvious as to why.

And yeah, whoever asked should they have to carry these when they are 50....don't you have to carry your drivers license to operate a vehicle. The mentality among snowmobilers is nearly absurd at times....like now with those trying to argue this requirement.

Cops don't just stop you to ask if you have your DL.

snowdance

Is this just wisconsin law? What about Michigan? Call it ignorance, but i had no clue on this. I have been riding with my GF illegally apparently. I'm legal, but she's not. 22 years old. I thought you just had to be over 16.

fatdaddy

Jpsted,

Your kidding right, you think that because I let my kid drive our 340 jag around the lake that I have no regard for the law, and that the state can do a better job of teaching my son how to ride. BS, they can't balance a budget, or keep themselves out of trouble. Half of the leaders are cheating on there wife, or have other issues as well. I've never been in trouble with the law and never will, I was simply stating that some of these laws are poor, and just because there law doesn't make them good laws. The state of CO has no age on riding sleds, who teaches them, not the state.

jpsted

I was simply stating that some of these laws are poor, and just because there law doesn't make them good laws.

I'm sorry if it appeared I was kidding...I was not.

Your opinions regarding the law and the law makers are indifferent. Your quote above...I agree with. But that doesn't mean we intentionally disobey laws because we disagree with them.

I believe it's irresponsible of you to allow your son to operate a snowmobile that is in violation of any law...especially laws of which you are aware. Your not helping the snowmobile community at large by knowingly being in violation of its laws.

If you harbor such strong emotion about the validity of any specific law...then work within a legal means to have it changed. A much better example to teach your young son.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

JPsted,

Thank you for pointing out my imperfections as a father, role model and citizen, with out your help I wasn't sure I was going to make it the next few years. I'm going down to the courthouse and turn my self in and get help. Maybe, if its not to much trouble you could be our guide, with all your wisdom and knowledge of life, you could turn Me and all the other Bad doers around. Please think about it, lives are at risk.

Thank you so much

jpsted

JPsted,

Thank you for pointing out my imperfections as a father, role model and citizen, with out your help I wasn't sure I was going to make it the next few years. I'm going down to the courthouse and turn my self in and get help. Maybe, if its not to much trouble you could be our guide, with all your wisdom and knowledge of life, you could turn Me and all the other Bad doers around. Please think about it, lives are at risk.

Thank you so much

Wow, you just took this to a whole new level. I simply made one statement as to my opinion re: "I believe it's irresponsible of you to allow your son to operate a snowmobile that is in violation of any law".

But you didn't leave me much to evaluate you with...except now your unfounded post above...doesn't really help your case much.

Good luck

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the Wisconsin riders, every time you register your sled, every two years, they send a booklet containing all the laws, do's and don'ts pertaining to riding in Wisconsin. Apparently, a lot of people do not read it?

snowdance

To the Wisconsin riders, every time you register your sled, every two years, they send a booklet containing all the laws, do's and don'ts pertaining to riding in Wisconsin. Apparently, a lot of people do not read it?

I'll admit it. I haven't read it lately. Obviously I need to!

3_old_jags

Thanks Roc

Roc Thanks for pointing this out to people. Some of my friends are not aware of this WI law as their sleds are registered in IL. I am aware of the law and introduced my daughters 20 year old boyfriend from Tampa FL to snowmobiling Super bowl weekend by first having him take the snowmobile safety coarse online. I personally think the people ticketed should of been given a warning. The PWC law is new in the last 2 years for drivers over 16 so watch out. Last comments - I took the safety coarse with my kids when they were 12 and we still talk safety every trip, however I ride with a guy who is 50 who needs the coarse more than any teenager I have riden with. Common sense and respect do not come with age and can not be policed.

indyxcr

It all about money they need money for these states they are all broke. They just want to get money out of you, that's why they keep creating these BS laws.

fatdaddy

JPsted,

Peace brother, its ok to have different views, you only get one chance on this planet so enjoy, and happy trails.

3_old_jags

Out of State.

Allen,

You must abide by laws of the state you are operating in. It applies planes, trains, automobiles and yes recreational vehicles. I feel bad for the young adults getting a ticket. Any buddy on here ever get a warning ticket for speeding? Problem is the govt is short on money and they are taking it from the few tax payers that have some.

mxz_chris

Allen,

You must abide by laws of the state you are operating in. It applies planes, trains, automobiles and yes recreational vehicles. I feel bad for the young adults getting a ticket. Any buddy on here ever get a warning ticket for speeding? Problem is the govt is short on money and they are taking it from the few tax payers that have some.

I see where it should apply to all, but every state is different with their requirements on autos. For instance, in WI we don't need a trailer plate under a certain size/weight. Can we in fact get a ticket in Illinois where it is required? I know this is an equipment requirement, but does it apply? I believe MI used to, or still may, not require a front plate on your car. Same situation. How do you know what applies and when? Some states have different graduated licence requirements for kids. If you are on a border, and the states differ, can you really not cross the state line even though you are legal in your home state?

Is this just wisconsin law? What about Michigan? Call it ignorance, but i had no clue on this. I have been riding with my GF illegally apparently. I'm legal, but she's not. 22 years old. I thought you just had to be over 16.

Anyone born on or after 01/01/85 who operates a snowmobile on Wisconsin trails or public thoroughfafes and.or waterways. You must take the course and carry the card with you when riding. Since you are old enough you can take the course online at the DNR website. Cost of the course is $10. If you lose or destroy your certificate you can orde a new one online for around $2-3.