Dnr in boulder jct wi

snowdance

Anyone born on or after 01/01/85 who operates a snowmobile on Wisconsin trails or public thoroughfafes and.or waterways. You must take the course and carry the card with you when riding. Since you are old enough you can take the course online at the DNR website. Cost of the course is $10. If you lose or destroy your certificate you can orde a new one online for around $2-3.

Thanks I'm now clear on the WI law. I am looking to find out what the Michigan law is. Anybody?

phil4snow

I took the class when I was 15. I needed it so I could ride my own sled in WI before i had my DL. Then they stated everyone needed one if they were born before 1985. Carrying the card is no big deal. I keep the card in my bibs pocket and never take it out. Good information in the class.

cod8

Thanks I'm now clear on the WI law. I am looking to find out what the Michigan law is. Anybody?

Look here: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_14824-36451--,00.html for MI safety cert. info.

MI regs are here: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_14824-32293--,00.html

Does anybody know if Michigan accepts Wisconsin Safety certs?

The WI DNR web site specifically states:

"Other states and Provinces that issue a snowmobile safety certificate to snowmobilers will be honored in Wisconsin."

Is the reciprocal true in Michigan?

BTW, In Wisconsin, you can now take the class on-line: http://www.snowmobile-ed.com/wi/ if you are 16 or older.

larry_d

I think ROC was just stating something that I and I am sure many people assumed. Trust me, assuming is not a good thing but we all do it a lot. This post does not apply directly to me as I am 42, but I do enjoy introducing snowmobiling to others and that will apply to me and friends in the future. I "assumed" that if you were over 18 you did not need the safety cert, my mistake. If the people that were stopped with thier parents were follwoing the rules of the trail, using common sense and respectfull to the officers I think a warning would have been in order. I think we have learned a lot about the issue now and should move forward. I respect the DNR and the law and play by the rules, it is really pretty simple. I just guess we all need to read what they send us with our registration and maybe they can do a some more to let us all know. Looking forward to getting on the sled soon. Best regards to all, LD

1blue99srx600

It all about money they need money for these states they are all broke. They just want to get money out of you, that's why they keep creating these BS laws.

If that is the case how come my father and I could have been written for (2) $200.50 fines yesterday afternoon in Juneau County Wi and were given warnings? DNR guy totally could have let us have it after he explained the law we had broke (We thought he was just checking registration, we had no idea we were breaking any laws... READ YOUR BOOKLETS!) but he let us go. He was the most professional DNR person I have ever met and he was just doing his job.

Last edited:

sjshaner

I am 49 will be 50 in April. I took the safety class that my boys both took and sat in when my daughter took it this year. I also made my wife take it as well. I carry the card in my wallet behind my license. I think everyone can benefit from the class, I know I did. The instructors not only covered the safe operation of the machine and covered the rules and laws, but they also shared tips and trickes ranging from trailside meals to emergency repairs. In Illinois the class is required of everyone 12 to 16 yrs of age. It is good in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. ( according to their respective websites). I found the classes to be very informative and I was able to meet some very knowledgeable snowmobilers and some great people to boot.

When I was 12 Wisconsin didn't have a safety certificate law for watercraft. When I spent the summers at my grandparants on Lake Kawagasaga I was able to drive around in my grandfathers boat with no supervision or adult on board. Once I bought my own boat I went out and took the safety course in Illinois even though it is not required of me.

I am on the safety team where I work and I joined for one reason and that was to help prevent anyone from getting injured or killed where I work. I think that although the majority of us snowmobilers are safe and responsible when we operate our sleds, these classes can equip all of us to be better prepared to repond and react for that one unsafe rider that we may meet on the trails. If we all are more aware of what could go wrong we may be better prepared to recognize a potential dangerous situation before it happens and avoid it. At work we always remind ourselves "What is the WORST that could happen?". In my case I could get killed at work. What is the worst that could happen snowmobiling?