Does anyone where a protective vest?

xcsp

Does anyone else wear a protective vest?

I noticed only 2 other riders wearing a protective vest of some type this riding season, why not more?

With the discussions of close calls, acidents & deaths on the trails, I would think there would be more use of protective gear,other than just a helmet.

Not to say a protective vest is definately going to save you, but has to help.

Last edited:

scottiking

I wear one !
Feels like I forgot to buckle my seatbelt without one now if I don't put it on!
I think it saved Skylars life when he hit the groomer back a few years ago!
He can affirm that!
Scottiking out

SANTE230

I wear one too. EVERY TIME I SWING A LEG OVER A SLED! It's a Tek Vest from Klim. I bought it about 9 years ago after I broke some ribs from jumping my 2002 MXZ. Last March while out west I went over the bars on my 2013 RMK. I literally pushed the bars down to the headlights with my chest right at ejection. I went to the hospital two days after the endo event due to chest pain. I was diagnosed with a severe chest contusion. Tek Vest saved me! I'm also wearing Thor knee/shin guards too. Damn sleds fight back sometimes. lol! I know the vests are a bit spendy but........it beats the alternative. Buy one and don't look back! Good luck out there.

wirev

I agree with SANTE! Buy one and don't look back. Have had mine for three years now. Wear mine under my jacket. I'm a tall older guy and got it for back support and slouching, [not necessarily what it was intended for] but also feel much better with it with all the Ricky Racers on the trails.

G

G

Had a TekVest for years. Have a lot of deer here that like to jump out on the trail with very short notice. I think it would help a lot if something like that ever happened to me. Wouldn't hurt to have one if I encountered a left-riding Ricky either.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been wearing one since Dec of 2003, i also wear Thor knee and shin guards.

Cue the guy who thinks we are out of control riders because we wear safety gear lol.

renegade600

I have a TekVest I used to wear when I raced, and it saved me I'm sure several times....

Have not used it for trail riding, but probably would if I was going to go off-trail somewhere....

They do work.

09summitetec

I have worn Tek Vest religiously for 10 years or so. Only 2 in my group of 10 wear something but definitely the two that have the most "dismounts". Not sure why more don't wear something other than $$. I figure any additional protection/padding certainly can't hurt and it helps keep the chill off the core if you ride with an uninsulated coat like I do.

scott_b

I started wearing one about 7 years ago after an incident where a large deer jumped out of the woods and over my snowmobile. The hind quarter caught me in the chest while going over 60 mph. Fortunately I was trying to move out of its way and it was more of a glancing blow but falling off at that speed is no fun. I now feel naked if I am not wearing the Tek Vest.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have been wearing one for a long time and as others have stated, feels like something is missing if I do not have one on while riding.

Like most protective gear, they do not make you bullet proof, but can help to keep what would otherwise be an innocent event from being catastrophic.

In my opinion, money well spent for any rider.

-John

skiroule

I wear a vest. Once you've worn one, it really does feel weird without it. The knee/shin guards seem like a good idea.

Heck, I might even add a pair of breezers in case I need to throw a hip check now and then.

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
...Heck, I might even add a pair of breezers in case I need to throw a hip check now and then.

I was even thinking about a pair of gloves with built-in, spiked, brass knuckles for those Rickey Racers that are on my side of the trail. :rolleyes:

-John

goofy600

I was even thinking about a pair of gloves with built-in, spiked, brass knuckles for those Rickey Racers that are on my side of the trail. :rolleyes:

-John
i see you must be feeling better if you are ready to mix it up with Ricky, Bobby, and the gang of misfits that can be out there!!! Lol! Humor is usually a sign of feeling better!

skiroule

-John

It could work....but it would have to be a trail thing only. Risk of spearing a passing Maple is too great off-trail. Then you would have a whole new set of problems.

But back to the subject: Someone mentioned warmth. I've found that the vest eliminates at least one layer of clothing and sometimes more.

buddah2

I've worn a TekVest for a number of years now. I'm a really big guy and the only downside is finding jackets which fit over it and my bod also. Yes, they can be slightly unwieldy when off-trail but that's a small price to pay for the extra protection from trail racers, etc. No system is foolproof but these provide the max protection possible AND as others have mentioned extra warmth for the torso.