Doo Modular 3 Helmet Owners - Do you use the mask ?

parker

I'm looking for a new lid and have had a few folks highly recommend the Modular 3 for Trail Riding.
Not really too excited about the Fighter Pilot Breath Mask feature.

So I am wondering ... Do any of you Modular 3 owners use it without the Mask ?

ezra

then why spend the cash on the doo lid? I thought u got them just for the face mask with panty liner insert. I will never own one I cant stand crap around my mouth. all my masks have a mouth hole cut out.

dfattack

I have always used the mask on every helmet I have had. For me...once you get used to the mask it just becomes part of the helmet. if you use the mask the heated shield isn't necessary although I have one and the cable with me at all times just in case. the only time I thought I needed the heated shield was when I've ridden with freezing drizzle and the heated shield apparently isn't going to work during those times. I bigger wind shield does in that case. I have had the modular 2 and the modular 3 along with the bvs2. I like the bvs2 on extreme cold conditions or when I ride at night with my son. He can see the tail light of the helmet and likes following it. Overall my favorite is the modular 3 due to the flip up front. You can take breaks on talk, eat, drink without taking off helmet if you so choose. hope the comments help you decide. Everyone has their own opinion. just have to decide what's best for you.

skidooman4

I have the modular 2 and 3 I've never had any fogging issues with them and I use the mask and filters. The only problem I found with the 3 is it has less venting so it get a bit warm in the helmet.

whitedust

then why spend the cash on the doo lid? I thought u got them just for the face mask with panty liner insert. I will never own one I cant stand crap around my mouth. all my masks have a mouth hole cut out.

Ez right on with this no sense buying a mod if you don't use the the breath box. Can buy a hat for much less that does not pipe breath out of helme

old abe

What is different from the Mod 2, to the Mod 3? We have Mod 1, Mod 2, and BVs. Only difference from Mod 1 and 2, Mod 2 is warmer. The clear shield seals up tight on Mod 2 plus chin wrap. The wife is all BVs. The only thing that has ever worked for her. And agree BVs can get too warm for me.

boomding

I have the BVs2 and have found that if I don't wear a balaclava it is perfect--even on colder days. Added benefit is no itching which balaclavas always do to me. Just a neckie to keep the wind out.

old abe

The Ski Doo "tech balaclava" is worth the$$$. It has neck/chin protection, and breathes. Very light wieght. We now use these with all helmets.

groomerdriver

What is different from the Mod 2, to the Mod 3? We have Mod 1, Mod 2, and BVs. Only difference from Mod 1 and 2, Mod 2 is warmer. The clear shield seals up tight on Mod 2 plus chin wrap. The wife is all BVs. The only thing that has ever worked for her. And agree BVs can get too warm for me.

I have both the Mod 2 and 3. The Mod 3 does not have the upper/middle of the helmet vent that can be opened and closed. It is also shaped a bit different. Those are the only changes I am aware of.

The shields from a Mod 2 and a Mod 3 are interchangeable.

The field of vision on a Mod 2/3 is MUCH bigger than on the Mod 1.

FWIW - I wear the breathbox all the time and also have a heated shield that I use when any type of precip is falling. The liner inside of it doesn't bother me at all.

The Mod 3 runs really small just like the Mod 2 does.

Last edited:

old abe

Thanks groomerdriver for the differences between the 2 and 3 model helmets. And we also use the breath mask. It just becomes routine. I am not sure why someone would get this type helmet if not to use the mask system?

harvest1121

I use it with the electric shield because its a good helmet does not leak and fits well. I have used the box but do not like being confined in it. I have used cheap modular helmets and not nearly the same with or without the box.

old abe

OK, I get it. I just never thought of using this type helmet without the mask. What ever works, and go for it!

XP North of 64

Great full face helmet. Rarely use the mask. Had all three. 2 years ago went with a full face brand with the moto visor, it was loud and didn't fit well. Went back to the 3. I agree the tech balaclava works great without the mask. This is a great helmet. Good fit, very quiet with great field of vision. you can always carry the mask if needed.

justride

when it is colder like below 20 degrees, I put the mask on but if it is in the 20s or warmer I remove it. When riding in below zero weather the air tubes on mask will collect ice in them making it hard to breath so you have to stop and open them up. I've had other full face helmets, some with heated shields, and until I bought the modular 2, always had problem with fogging when it was cooler out.

The biggest dfference from the Mod I to the Mod II is that on the Mod I BRP had contracted many different companies to produce all the parts and conformity as well as fit and finish from part to part was not the same making replacing parts sometimes cumbersome. With the Mod III all the parts come from one vendor and fit the way they are supposed to.

old abe

A lot of open minds here. Many different ideas. That's always a good thing. BRP now offers a new Tech balaclava to be used with the "breath masks". It looks like the "face opening" is shaped to conform with the mask being on. It also has the chin/neck wind protection.