Down for the count!

strokeit

To make a long story short, I have had 2 back surgeries in the past on my L4-L5 disc's in my back. Ive always had pain in my lower back,But this past month i lost my feeling from my knee down on my right leg(BEEN WALKING LIKE A GIMP!). I just had my MRI this past monday and got my results today.And they say....

Moderately large right paramedian,somewhat tubular broad-based disc extrusion extending inferiorly at right L4-L5 compressing the right L5 nerve root in the lateral recess.
Postoperative changes at the L5-S1 of right partial hemilaminectomy and discectomy with postsurgical signal changes and small neural foraminal disc protrusion.

In other words i herneated my disc for the 3rd time! I go see my Neurosurgeon on tuesday and see what my options are....But i allready know im looking at a fusion for sure! Im only 36 and going through all this just sucks. I just hope i can get it done soon so i have time to heal before next season. And i hope i can get 1 more good ride in to.

D

Deleted member 10829

That's a bummer! Good luck with the surgery and have a speedy recovery!!

mramerica

Fused

I am fused from just above tailbone, to L5, been since 1982, you will be riding next year. just be sure to do your excersizes, to strengthen your abs. JT, oh yea, good luck.

coldbear

Sorry about your sciatic nerve problem Strokeit...It's like reading in a mirror about myself. This time last year my rt. leg went to sleep[dead] and theyput me in the hospital for a week. They ran every test and found nothing. My neurosergeon Dr.Onkiko read all the reports and said that I had injured main branch of nerves exiting L4 L5. He suggested that it would have to heal on itself.[one half a inch a month]. That meant 2-3 years before full recovery. I'm back snowmobiling this week in the UP and hanging in there with occational pain. But to not steal your thread, it will get better and you will sit on a sled again soon. Good luck !

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sucks Ryan! I had two herniated discs about 4-5 years ago. I just did rehab, and have not had any issues since. But, man, the night they were bulging out, wow, never felt pain like that before. Except when I busted up my ankle on my KX125, that hurt like a sumbitch too. LOL.

Good luck with whatever route you end up going!

Skylar

scott_b

Best of luck. Best advise I can give you especially at your age is to find a Dr that does a disc replacement, avoid fusion if at all possible.

bankers_hours

I go on the table Tuesday for L4/L5 fusion and 6 weeks off work. Mine is degenerative disc, a little different than your problem. Best of luck with your problem. The riding will be there next year for both of us.

strokeit

Sorry about your sciatic nerve problem Strokeit...It's like reading in a mirror about myself. This time last year my rt. leg went to sleep[dead] and theyput me in the hospital for a week. They ran every test and found nothing. My neurosergeon Dr.Onkiko read all the reports and said that I had injured main branch of nerves exiting L4 L5. He suggested that it would have to heal on itself.[one half a inch a month]. That meant 2-3 years before full recovery. I'm back snowmobiling this week in the UP and hanging in there with occational pain. But to not steal your thread, it will get better and you will sit on a sled again soon. Good luck !

I can only cross my fingers and hope that the Dr tells me that it will heal on it's own! Thanks for the support coldbear.

Your not kidding about that pain Skylar! I went through that the first and second time...Now its just like my foot isn't even there...lol It's just weird. But i hope i can still get a ride in with you and Kris in march.

strokeit

I go on the table Tuesday for L4/L5 fusion and 6 weeks off work. Mine is degenerative disc, a little different than your problem. Best of luck with your problem. The riding will be there next year for both of us.

I hope everything goes well for ya banker! Hang in there...

handiman

strokeit - I had my C5/C6 fused in May of 1998 after suffering with the pain for 6 months. I was back to 100% in a few months and road the next season with no issues.

BTW - What's wrong with walking like a gimp. I do it every day of my life!!! ;o)

ridesafe

that sucks ryan!! I'm kinda battling the same thing but so far its not causing me any problems.. knocking on wood!!!

heres to a speedy recovery!

doospunk

To make a long story short, I have had 2 back surgeries in the past on my L4-L5 disc's in my back. Ive always had pain in my lower back,But this past month i lost my feeling from my knee down on my right leg(BEEN WALKING LIKE A GIMP!). I just had my MRI this past monday and got my results today.And they say....

Moderately large right paramedian,somewhat tubular broad-based disc extrusion extending inferiorly at right L4-L5 compressing the right L5 nerve root in the lateral recess.
Postoperative changes at the L5-S1 of right partial hemilaminectomy and discectomy with postsurgical signal changes and small neural foraminal disc protrusion.

In other words i herneated my disc for the 3rd time! I go see my Neurosurgeon on tuesday and see what my options are....But i allready know im looking at a fusion for sure! Im only 36 and going through all this just sucks. I just hope i can get it done soon so i have time to heal before next season. And i hope i can get 1 more good ride in to.

Man, that really sucks! Hope all turns out well. Seeing as we can't seem to connect for a ride at the moment, we may as well pick a time this summer to hang out in the garage and plot out a plan for next season!!

strokeit

Im headed up to Twin Lakes March 11-14, If your plans fall through get ahold of me.

Your welcome up here anytime this summer Kris! And next winter count me in as another rider in your group.