Drive Shaft Gear Bolt

tubbywolfe

Bolt holding on bottom gear sheared off, am I ok drilling out the bolt that is left in so I can fix it all up? If not, how do we get that snapped of bolt out of there?

Thanks

doomsman

Getting a drill in there may be hard, it may be easier to pull the
drivers and work out side the sled. If you can fit a drill try some left hand bits.

dschultz

just experienced the same problem on my edge we just sold today. I tried to drill with and angled drill and use an ez-out but it was a no go. The problem is that you cant get a good angle to drill it straight. If I knew how easy it was to remove the driveshaft on an edge compared to my xcr, no question I would have done that after the first failed attempt at the ez-out. When out I just kept steping up on the bits till it came out and rethreaded it. One thing I should have done was to go up a size on the bolt to prevent the problem.

indy_500

just experienced the same problem on my edge we just sold today. I tried to drill with and angled drill and use an ez-out but it was a no go. The problem is that you cant get a good angle to drill it straight. If I knew how easy it was to remove the driveshaft on an edge compared to my xcr, no question I would have done that after the first failed attempt at the ez-out. When out I just kept steping up on the bits till it came out and rethreaded it. One thing I should have done was to go up a size on the bolt to prevent the problem.

that's common on edges though.

I would still go up a size on the bolt on the gen II

mikesac

I've had this happen multiple times. Remember, that bolt is lock tighted in, you should try heating and 50/50 chance you can turn it out with a pick, if not drill and e-z out, dont forget the heat part. I've either then installed an allen head bolt (they tell me they are the strongest) or drill and tap to 3/8 and install a new hardened bolt. Always use lock tight blue, not red. The biggest mistake people make is not drilling the hole straight and then your in trouble. I've fixed my polaris sleds this way 4 or 5 times and they never broke again.