East coast!

snoluver1

SWEET! An eastern riding section! I cut my snowmobiling teeth riding New England. Lets see some pics East Coasta's! I know your getting some snow!

snoluver1

Was always curious as to what type of terrain, areas, etc they ride out there.

There is some awesome terrain out east and some super cool scenery. Its the snow thing that can be a problem. Always hit or miss. Nor' Easters can dump serious amounts of the white gold, but they can be tricky. Usually warm and rain on either the front or back side of the storm. The stars have to be aligned just right for it to work out right.

weatherjan

Adirondack Park/Tug Hill

There is some awesome terrain out east and some super cool scenery. Its the snow thing that can be a problem. Always hit or miss. Nor' Easters can dump serious amounts of the white gold, but they can be tricky. Usually warm and rain on either the front or back side of the storm. The stars have to be aligned just right for it to work out right.

Redfield, NY - located on the Tug Hill Plateau east of Lake Ontario - recorded 72" of Lake Effect Snow (LES) during a three day period from 10 - 13 Dec 2013.
There are 226 snowmobile clubs registered in NY State and 10,400 miles of maintained trails. The most popular area is the Adirondack State Park followed
by the Tug Hill Plateau. Snowmobiling conditions are pretty reliable in those areas into late March.

snoluver1

Redfield, NY - located on the Tug Hill Plateau east of Lake Ontario - recorded 72" of Lake Effect Snow (LES) during a three day period from 10 - 13 Dec 2013.
There are 226 snowmobile clubs registered in NY State and 10,400 miles of maintained trails. The most popular area is the Adirondack State Park followed
by the Tug Hill Plateau. Snowmobiling conditions are pretty reliable in those areas into late March.

Yep, Tug Hill is one of the exceptions. Also far northern Main. Now we just need some pictures!:)

T

Team Elkhorn

Please post some pictures. I'd love to see what riding is like out east. Trails, scenery, pit stops, etc. :)

snoluver1

There had to be some sort of demand for an east coast section, right? Why else Would John have made a new section?

Where is everybody?

weatherjan

Please post some pictures. I'd love to see what riding is like out east. Trails, scenery, pit stops, etc. :)

I've been trying to post but get an error message and then a statement claiming I lack permission. Anyway, try this link which provides a menu of webcams covering the Tug Hill Region.

http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm

We are in the midst of a "December Thaw" right now but colder conditions should return by 23 Dec.

T

Team Elkhorn

Thanks for the link weatherjan. Its always interesting to see where others ride. :)

YooprYami

I put in a request for the eastern riding forum. Grew up in Northern WI and have been following JD for years while riding in the yoop. I'm in upstate New York currently and was hoping to find a JD following out here too... doesn't seem like it though. Tug Hill gets the snow but we have had a few thaws complete with heavy rain so we are starting over again. I have only gotten out riding twice so far because of snow conditions.

Anyone else on JD out east and want to meet up to ride Tug Hill or Old Forge? I'm still learning my way around!!

timo

weather channel said on monday night the tug hill area was gonna get 3-4 feet in the next few days.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
weather channel said on monday night the tug hill area was gonna get 3-4 feet in the next few days.

And if you go the the "Eastern US Cams" section of the NCN, you can watch it happen!

-John

YooprYami

Tug hill

Was able to get some riding in on Wednesday after the snowfall. Places had 4+ feet of powder! It was pretty cool! Different than the UP but still pretty cool! To bad it was 50degrees and rain all day today!!! Crazy weather here

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

mrbb

well grew up here in the NE, and last few yrs have been terrible on riding, most trail systems near me, , last yr didn't even open, due to almsot zero snow
and then this yr, even with record cold weather, and even snow in many places, it just didn't fall in places the trals really were not opened, and IF it did, it fall on trails, a few days later would warm up/rain, and destroy any base or hope of a great season, thus closing the trails again, think the main trail system near me(almost 350 miles) was maybe open like 20 days the whole season? and of that, maybe half was on decent snow?
mean while all sorts of parts of PA about me got buried with snow, but no trails there! or maybe a mile or 2 of a small loop trail, that is what a 5 minute ride and then uness you want to drive it over and over ??

living here in NE PA, I learned if I wanted to ride every yr, it meant a lot of hrs towing a sled to find snow
a shame as we yrs back had rather reliable snow condition yr to yr,(used to put on a 1,000 + miles a tr on local trails) and had tons of great types of riding from many many miles of groomed trails, rolling hills, to bigger fields to play in, to old coal mning roads and loging roads, and state owned lands
now it seems like anything BUT a marked trail is off limits, and not staying on trail just closes even more land, IF we get the snow to be able to ride

everything is posted now a days
understand it, but miss yrs back when you could ride older dirt roads when it snowed and folks didn't get so upset!

you folks that live in snow every ur places and have such libral rules to play on with off road atv's sleds and such, are so lucky!
so day I hope to be able to retire and move to such a place!
so enjoy what you have
some day maybe I will too! LOL

rozzy43

well grew up here in the NE, and last few yrs have been terrible on riding, most trail systems near me, , last yr didn't even open, due to almsot zero snow
and then this yr, even with record cold weather, and even snow in many places, it just didn't fall in places the trals really were not opened, and IF it did, it fall on trails, a few days later would warm up/rain, and destroy any base or hope of a great season, thus closing the trails again, think the main trail system near me(almost 350 miles) was maybe open like 20 days the whole season? and of that, maybe half was on decent snow?
mean while all sorts of parts of PA about me got buried with snow, but no trails there! or maybe a mile or 2 of a small loop trail, that is what a 5 minute ride and then uness you want to drive it over and over ??

living here in NE PA, I learned if I wanted to ride every yr, it meant a lot of hrs towing a sled to find snow
a shame as we yrs back had rather reliable snow condition yr to yr,(used to put on a 1,000 + miles a tr on local trails) and had tons of great types of riding from many many miles of groomed trails, rolling hills, to bigger fields to play in, to old coal mning roads and loging roads, and state owned lands
now it seems like anything BUT a marked trail is off limits, and not staying on trail just closes even more land, IF we get the snow to be able to ride

everything is posted now a days
understand it, but miss yrs back when you could ride older dirt roads when it snowed and folks didn't get so upset!

you folks that live in snow every ur places and have such libral rules to play on with off road atv's sleds and such, are so lucky!
so day I hope to be able to retire and move to such a place!
so enjoy what you have
some day maybe I will too! LOL

Haven't been back to Tug Hill since 2003, but still would like to Check out the P A Grand Canyon some winter.

BNF CAT

We are looking at making a week long trip out to Maine in 2015-16 season. Where is the best area to ride (groomed trails, no boon docking) for sites and scenery? We are taking our own sleds out there from WI so just hotels and scenery and snow are the requirements. Its all about location, location, location!

mrbb

around Moose Head lake , has a LOT of great trails, tends to hopld snow very long too, and is very sled frieldy area!