Ever been to Kansas??

polarisxcsp

Long story short...I applied to a bunch of Fire Depts. throughout the state and I got a letter back from Garden City, KS and they want me to come out next week for an interview and testing? I've never been to Kansas so I’m not sure what it entails. I don’t have anything but family and friends holding me back but I’m not sure if I want to take that much of an adventure right now.

wags

Do some research on the cost of living out there and compare it to the possible salary then compare it to what you have now going on at home in Mi.
Being young you have all your life ahead of you, if taking the time to go out there is available to you without jeopardizing anything go for it. Just because you go out and they offer you something does not mean you have to accept.

Just my 2 cents

favoritos

It is going to be a long drive. I think that is still in the flat part of the state. It is flat.

Some counties in Kansas are dry, so if you like to party. . .

Good peeps, but there is not a lot to do. Woods are quite a jaunt away. Not sure if you are a sledder, but the Northwoods are a whole different gig than riding in CO.

sleddermom63

Grew up in Kansas. Only problem with Garden City, other than it being flat country without many trees, is the smell! It is in the heart of cattle county and there are feedlots everywhere you look. If you are used to stepping outside and breathing deep of the fresh air, you will be disappointed! Climate is mild. Summers can be hot, days in the hundreds. Winters usually aren't very cold, little to no snow. Oh, did I mention that they have rattle snakes? Yuck!!!

ezra

you olny go around 1 time. go for it what is the worst thing that can happen? you get a few years of actual fire fighting experiance. meet some new buds new bars new girls.you dont like it you now have a fire fighting exp and will be more desirable to the next department you want to go to.I have a bud who worked for the parks dept in kc years ago good bennys at the time now he farms in SD you never know if you will like it if you dont try it

frnash

Re "Tornado Alley":
Just don't set up housekeeping in a "tornado magnet" er... mobile home!
happy.gif

polarisxcsp

Thanks for the advice guys. My thought process is kinda of with ezra but Im also thinking of just getting into an EMT class here asap and then trying to get on a full time dept in Lansing. It would be cheaper for me to do that rather than relocate but it wouldnt be as much of an adventure.

troyw

Was just thru there last weekend. It's in the heart of cattle country. That smell every morning is the smell of money. lol. The town seems to be doing very well. Lots of new construction and the car lots were full. Let me know what all questions you have.
Troy