Extreme Cold Weather Helmet

georgiarider

A group of guys I know are going to ride from Michigan to Alaska in February 2010. I was wondering what the best cold weather trail riding helmet would be. I do realize an electric shield is great but this trip takes 20 or more days and may run into some issues.

hoffmansledder

Go with a Bombarbier BV2S. I got mine last year and rode with it in all conditions. I have had many helmets of all kinds in the past and will never have another again.

homan

I agree that the BV2S helmet is the best for cold conditions. I always used an electric shield prior to buying the BV2S but the trouble with the electric shield is that they can and do break or quit working.

mvedepo

Be a man. Wear an open face. If you want to be a REAL man, wear an open face with no visor. That would be IMPRESSIVE!!!

brad

I 3rd Bombardier BV2S. Just be sure to have a good supply of the absorbent inserts for the mouthpiece with you! The colder it is, the faster they become saturated it seems. But I love my helmet.

slimcake

I disagree with the brp mod 2 helmet. Unless you guys can steer me to something that I don't know it is cold as heck.... The wind comes in right on your forehead and gives a instant headache. I also noticed the mouth piece gives my face a rash when it is really cold. What are these absorbent things you talk about for the mouth piece. I would be interested in that for sure. I love the helment but found that duct tape comes in handy when it gets cold to fix all of the air leaks....

hotrodbrett

I wore mine in -40 degree weather with snow at night and doing 50 on the lake and I was plenty warm. You have to make sure your seal is good around the shild. Mine let air threw untill I moved that felt seal up a little bit. Make sure you have the vents closed. May be stupid but they do come down after rideing hard.

skidude67

Modular 2 with a Under Armour balaclava. Ridden in -35 and my head has never been cold.

Slim,

I hope you are kidding about the absorbant inserts for face mask. But if you are not.....they are pre-cut/fitted absorbant pads that fit in the face mask....they absorb the condensation from your breath. BRP sells them and if you are not using them it is no wonder you have issues with the helmet...use them this year and you will be much happier with the Mod 2.

todds

You can substitute nursing pads for the absorbant pads from BRP. They are MUCH less expensive and are essentially the same thing.

Don't know where to get them...ask your wife.

whitedust

Not sure it is the helmet that keeps you warm it is what you wear on your head & face for protection. I agree BRP mods leak a lot of air at least my 2 do. They are nice to have flip up face mask & don't fog but are pretty darn cold due to air leaks & I have the frostbite to prove it. In -35F riding I have seen riders wrap their head & face in a series of ace bandages so there is just a slit for mouth, nose & eyes & wear cheap helmets & no frostbite. I will be doing something simular to that this season + medical tape where brp mod mouth & nose piece drips moisture. You have to keep skin dry at arctic temps or frostbite for sure. You will get wet if absorbant filter is not changed out but real pain in -35F & hard on hands & fingers + mouth & nose piece & pipes may already be frozen solid. Best to bring spare mouth nose piece & swap out when frozen with dry one. Snap in quickly & ride.

slimcake

lol famousguy. I learned my lesson last year in da yoop. We were on our trip jan 3-10th. It was 20 below for most of it. I have a 07 d7 and wanted to look cool with my new low windshield (no pun intended). I took my tall (buddies called it grandpa windshield) off 2 weeks before we left. I actually thought about putting it on when checking the weather before we left but thought I was tough. Boy I wish I would have had it.....

rocketman356

116938.jpg

famousguy

I stick with the high windshield and my HJC CL-12.

Last year, I picked up a used Legend 700 late in the season, and it had a low chrome windshield on it. We took a trip to the Abitibi Canyon on March 26th. Weather was warm, so I figured I would just leave it on for that trip. WHAT A MISTAKE. Ended up getting pretty cold way up there where the water goes the opposite way down the drains. Never leave home without my high windshield again.

As for looking cool, it is going to take way more than a low windshield for me to look cool....