F 7 can need advice

mike_h

i'm wanting to put an after market can on my 03 f7. I like the lower throaty sound but dont want one thats going to make my ears bleed, also i know there are weight advantages but do you really notice an increase in hp so help me out guys give me some advice to get the quality sound and the most bang for my buck if any one has any used ones i'm open to offers let me know thanks guys

jimfsr

They weigh less, they dont really increase power, they REALLY annoy the neighbors. So please, don't bother, spend the money on a good clutch kit and get a performance increase you can feel.

ezra

I will guarantee you will lose about 1.5 to 3 hp with any can out for a f7 if you are just slapping a can on.I have seen it in dyno with 3 diff cans .now if you are doing a pipe y pipe and can designed to work together with the porting you need to do that is a diff story but now we are up over 1700 in stead of 200 but you will have something more than a slower noise maker

mike_h

thanks guys this is why i was asking, everyone claims their bolt ons add x amount of horse but short of spending but loads of money to try it out just to see it didn't help at all. so with that said give me some tips on mods to do with out taking away my reliability . i have the early build 03 f7 it runs great but the guys are upping the anti by getting the cfr8's and you know how it goes from there " if you're not first then you're last"

jimfsr

DO you want reliability, or to go fast? Unfortunately, most modern motors are built pretty much for the most reliable power they can produce. If you start modding them, especially the cats, your asking for trouble. An F-7 is tweaked pretty tight from the factory, so I would leave it alone. How fast do you really need to go anyway? If you want to win the drag race for 500' then clutch and gear for that, if you want to beat them to 100 mph, buy an F1.

ezra

well send your box to cat to get the 06 ecu up date about 40 bucks what do you want to spend? how do you want to race 660 500 1000 1/4 ?the f7 is a reliable sled with mods I have about 160 hp with a ported piped reeds y pipe boondocker head no probs once dialed in.I have buds with over 200 with 900kits and nos they need some tuning but not bad for race sleds.I have buds with 800kits some good some junk {old bmp] new bmp ok who trail ride lake race ditch bang with no probs at all.the f7 bottom end is strong.so the ?what do you want to spend and how do you want to use it.one mistake allot of guys make is adding heavy clutch weight to f7 the f7 wants light weights with heavy springs they need to rev fast