Feb 12th

dfattack

Dfattack, is your camera in a wind blown area? It seems a tad low on totals.

I was up for MTU carnival and to visit my son up there, but my place is only a few miles from you by Lake Anna road and I swear on a average I had 20" +- 1" on Sunday when I left and your snow stick was only showing about 15 1/2".

(I do know there was a few inches more south of Hwy 8 these last 2 storms)

I spent a year or so trying to find a spot that best represented the actual snow depth in the woods. I first tried down by the lake out of the westerly winds since that's where I had my first pan tilt zoom camera so I could focus in on the board. This area didn't work out since it was on a south facing shoreline. The sun exposure melted the snow at a rapid pace, especially when the sun hit the board and melted the snow right up against it. I ended putting the board on the north side of the house out of the afternoon sun about 10-15' away from the house. Normally this is also out of normal prevailing winds too. I can level off the snow when the wind effects the snow level around the board. I haven't been up to do this for about three weeks. I'm heading up soon to ride and will level this off when i get there. But to answer your question, I don't think it is in an area where the wind can effect it too much, but it will get effected to some degree. I do know snow depth varies quite a bit sometimes as well as temps. Sometimes in Iron Mountain the temperatures can be 5-7 degrees warmer in the winter than my place in Spread Eagle. Snow depth has varied too. It's by far not a very scientific snow depth calculation, but a guide for me to see what is going on when I'm not there. I share this online for NCN and friends and family who don't have access to all of my cameras. Thank you for letting me know about other depths in the area and will consider this if I ever choose to relocate my snow board.

In this picture you can see the snow building up behind it. Before today the snow depth behind the board was actually lower so wind definitely snowcam - Spread Eagle.jpg has an effect.

Last edited:

bobt

Thanks for the explanation, sound like you put alot of thought into where it should go. Even John says the "Woods" cam reads less than actual.

But I have been watching radar all day and there was more than a few "dry slots" with this storm. As the "dark" and "medium blues" on the radar entered Florence County they turned "light blue". Even the "wrap around" coming from the North entered Florence County they lessened.

dfattack

Thanks for the explanation, sound like you put alot of thought into where it should go. Even John says the "Woods" cam reads less than actual.

But I have been watching radar all day and there was more than a few "dry slots" with this storm. As the "dark" and "medium blues" on the radar entered Florence County they turned "light blue". Even the "wrap around" coming from the North entered Florence County they lessened.

I'm probably a little "extra" critical but yes, it does seem that where I am we usually get dry slotted a lot and never get any lake effect. We need system snows that are slow movers like today to build any kind of snow cover like we have now. Of course, cold temps are a necessity for it to last.

snobuilder

still snowing down here in SE WI. Had 6" maybe an inch or 2 more now with this last wrap around blast.

dfattack...
Thanks for the snowcam.
We watch yours, Pickerel lake and Athelstane as the best "northwoods" visual meters in our area on the JD cam network.

BigSix

Only 6" in northeast Green Bay. Dry slot for about 3-4 hours after noon yesterday. About 16"-20" on the ground in wind sheltered areas. I'm not sure how the open field trails around here fared.

MKW

Eau Claire County...Got in the groomer last night around 7:30. Went from Allen to Foster..then over to Cleghorn and back..blowing and drifting so much couldn’t even see where I had just gone thru in spots..snow was very light and fluffy. Didn’t run across any wet heavy snow? Groomers are back out today and will be running straight thru to the weekend...also our club has a Vintage Snowmobile show next Saturday at Brackett Bar..stop out!

whitehorse

Is that in Neilsville OR Mass City?

That is in Neillsville....ended up with a storm total of 16-18" in most of Clark County. Trempealeau and Monroe Counties got pounded.....If you ever wanted to ride W. Central Wi., nows the time. Some great trails!

1fujifilm

Only 6" in northeast Green Bay. Dry slot for about 3-4 hours after noon yesterday. About 16"-20" on the ground in wind sheltered areas. I'm not sure how the open field trails around here fared.

Did 130 miles yesterday from 1-5PM and it was rough plowed fields to 4 feet drifts, need a grooming for sure.
Saw 4 open creeks in that time too, sad. The worst was behind Buzzs bowling g I Freedom, WI.

Bear