First named Winter Storm of the Season!

renegade

I have my welcome mat rolled out for Atlas. Don't think I have a chance though. Would be cool to ride in may then the following fall ride in October!

ezra

I am hearing rumblings of over 2 ft in N Colorado over the weekend.
I think I better go get a set of Kilm technical underpants just in case I get any more excited

mezz

In as much as we can & do get excited about the white gold, this would be salt in the wounds for the folks that suffered in Colorado with the flooding. Too much to be done before something like this hits, it will certainly be a set back in their recovery. For their sake, I hope it stays further North.-Mezz

united

If you have the itch, Rapid City, SD only about 8 hours drive west of the Twin Cities.

* MAIN HAZARD...SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 7 TO 15 INCHES ARE EXPECTED
WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. VERY STRONG NORTHERLY
WINDS OF 35 TO 55 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 70 MPH WILL COMBINE
WITH THE SNOW TO BRING NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES.

attack_06

If you have the itch, Rapid City, SD only about 8 hours drive west of the Twin Cities.

* MAIN HAZARD...SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 7 TO 15 INCHES ARE EXPECTED
WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. VERY STRONG NORTHERLY
WINDS OF 35 TO 55 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 70 MPH WILL COMBINE
WITH THE SNOW TO BRING NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES.
In the black hills there will be well over 2ft maybe even 3

mtb1115

IMO, I find this naming of winter storms insane. Come on really ? I understand the historical tradition for tropical storms but this "new" idea for winter storms is just trying to create drama. We live in North America, in most areas we have four seasons, sometimes in the same day. Get over it, let's go back to the old way of coming up with a clever name like "snowmagedon" after the storm is over.

mezz

The NWS began naming the winter storms due to the impacts that can occur should the storms develop. All in the name of preparedness for the public. In light of the fact that this storm is developing in early October & the amount of snowfall expected is in the double digits plus, I think it is a good idea as it gives the public time to react & prepare.-Mezz

snobuilder

The NWS began naming the winter storms due to the impacts that can occur should the storms develop. All in the name of preparedness for the public. In light of the fact that this storm is developing in early October & the amount of snowfall expected is in the double digits plus, I think it is a good idea as it gives the public time to react & prepare.-Mezz

so if it wasn't named we couldn't be forewarned or prepare....oK....LOL....is The "National Weather Service" is not effected by the budget stalemate?

chevytaHOE5674

The Weather Channel said:
The Weather Channel, for the second year, will name winter storms. The naming system "was a terrific success" last winter, said Bryan Norcross, meteorologist at The Weather Channel.

The weather channel started naming winter storms to boost their ratings. Along with this they started having very little weather on the TV and changed to mainly "reality" shows that could possible have something to do with weather. ha

bearrassler

The weather channel started naming winter storms to boost their ratings. Along with this they started having very little weather on the TV and changed to mainly "reality" shows that could possible have something to do with weather. ha

It is the Weather Channel, not the NWS that started naming the winter storms. I believe last year was the first. Our local paper, the Grand Forks Herald, has been naming our area storms since the mid 90's. they have to be classified as a blizzard by the NWS to get a name. When you have a memorable storm you can then say the name years later and people know what storm it was.

united

Scratch the itch and do a good deed. Win win.

SD asking snowmobilers for help in storm search
Posted: Oct 05, 2013 9:32 AM CDT Updated: Oct 05, 2013 9:40 AM CDT

RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) - South Dakota emergency agencies are asking snowmobile operators in the Rapid City area to help find motorists stranded by an autumn storm.

The National Weather Service says the storm dumped at least three and a half feet of wet, heavy snow in the Black Hills. Lead in the northern Black Hills had received 43 ½ inches of snow by 7:30 p.m. Friday and more had fallen overnight. Rapid City had 21 inches, but 31 inches was recorded just a mile southwest of the city.

Officials made the plea for snowmobilers on Saturday morning. Officials say emergency response agencies have prioritized calls based on life safety and are working to rescue stranded motorists who spent the night in their vehicles.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/23616368/sd-asking-snowmobilers-for-help-in-storm-search

mezz

It is the Weather Channel, not the NWS that started naming the winter storms. When you have a memorable storm you can then say the name years later and people know what storm it was.
Right you are, I did mean to put in TWC, just responded too quickly. FYI, TWC originally gathered it's national region forecasts from NOAA & it's local forecasts from the NWS. I am not too sure the whole reason for the naming if the storms entirely surrounded around it being declared a "blizzard", I believe it was the timing of the storm (Month) & the amount of snowfall expected, nonetheless, the naming of the storms was not developed to boost ratings of TWC.-Mezz

6mile

A pic from my co-worker that got stuck in Rapid City on Saturday due to cancelled flights. A flight back to MSP is not available till Tuesday night. This is the southern part of town. In the the hills to the west there was close to 3 feet of snow.

Attachments

• Blizzard3.jpg
    Blizzard3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 41