First Time Riding West

fireworks

Anyone that knows out west riding doesn't go to Togwotee. The only bad info in the western thread is sad *** corporate owned Togwotee Lodge. Like I have said before, we ride at the turnout early season and late. Otherwise, stay away from the likes of Tourism Traps.

indy_500

Anyone that knows out west riding doesn't go to Togwotee. The only bad info in the western thread is sad *** corporate owned Togwotee Lodge. Like I have said before, we ride at the turnout early season and late. Otherwise, stay away from the likes of Tourism Traps.
While I do partially agree, I still think there is no better option other than Togwotee for a first timer.

mrbb

Come on since JD first endorsed Tog everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Over the past few year's we have not seen the thread traffic
IMO< if someone wanted to go west for the first time and see sights and mostly all trail ride,
TOG and the area wouldn;t be at the top of my list
it would be west Yellowstone, way more to see and do, for the trail rider, and honestly better rates and packages IMO too!

and if not there, Island Park , which again, IMO offers more for trail riders, those that want to ride to places to eat and more like trails than OFF trail attraction!
Tog and area is a nice as well, but IMO, its more for more experienced OFF trail folks or s-those that want to try it, it gets snow soon and holds snow long and there are GREAT off trail guides and a ton of folks with experience in the area that stay and work there yr round!(same can be said for WY too)
all comes down to what your looking for or want in a first time experience IMO
I honestly doubt anyone will care, where they go as long as there is good snow LOL, scenery in most places out west, can be awesome to those never there before!

JasonF

My group has been riding our west for a lot of years now and we still tend to hit Togwotee up for one of our trips out west each season. While I much preferred the pre-Aramark run Togwotee, the lodge it is just plain easy for planning a trip. In reality there aren't as many places as you would think that you can ride from your cabin with food/drink/gas,rentals and a guide service that is still only$60/day. Not to mention you meet guys like Carter who for an old guy can still rip and has a ton of fun.

Our other trips we book a cabin or a house, bring food, bring gas, sometimes have to trailer and it is cheaper, just not as easy. These trips are more or more for great riding on a budget, a trip to a place like Tog is more like a vacation.

JasonF

If ride from your door lodging is your thing. Bryan is an awesome operator. https://www.beavercreeklodge.com/

Home cooked meals. Not Sysco food truck.

Ridden this area many times. You can also, find townhomes near by for cheap..

Boondock Nation

https://youtu.be/bDpH3zZTDt8

I've looked at staying there several times but (unless I'm misunderstanding) their website says that that their room rates must include a sled rental? Seems odd to me since BD Nation had their own sleds on the episode I saw.
From BCL website
"Because we specialize in snowmobile packages, room reservations from December 1 - March 31 must include snowmobile rentals, unless the reservation is made within 30 days of the arrival date."

fireworks

Jason- Yeah, it is all inclusive. Sled rentals are required. Back in 2009-2012 I was buying 2 rental sleds in March from Bryan and reselling them back in MN/WI. I would get 2 nights free lodging. Had to pay for meals/gas. Worked out pretty slick. Made enough off the sleds to pay for gas, trailer brakes, sled to ride etc. Anyways, after that I would call and be able to stay last minute middle of the week when they were not booked. Lot's of great terrain to ride. North over backside of Ski The Beav is Franklin Basin. Which, gives you White and Boss Canyon for some awesome riding. I have stayed in Garden City as well. Town homes are cheap cause their peak rental season is summer. You can ride North of GC up west of Bloomington Rd to Bloomington and Paris Peak. Awesome climbing and views.

In one trip we started in Garden City, Utah. Rode Franklin(Beaver Lodge) Bloomington headed northeast across border and hit Turnerville, Thayne, Bedford area. North to Sheep Creek(palisades) and finished in Cora.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
The trails around and near Tog are NOT marked like they are here in Sconny. Not every corner is going to have a corner ahead sign, not every dip is going to be pointed out. Have fun, it's a great area, and still one of my favorites!

The trails around and near Tog are NOT marked like they are here in Sconny. Not every corner is going to have a corner ahead sign, not every dip is going to be pointed out. Have fun, it's a great area, and still one of my favorites!

You definitely don't want to miss a corner there!!
Corner by brooks comes to mind!!!
Trails are great thats for sure!!

woodside

Jason- Yeah, it is all inclusive. Sled rentals are required. Back in 2009-2012 I was buying 2 rental sleds in March from Bryan and reselling them back in MN/WI. I would get 2 nights free lodging. Had to pay for meals/gas. Worked out pretty slick. Made enough off the sleds to pay for gas, trailer brakes, sled to ride etc. Anyways, after that I would call and be able to stay last minute middle of the week when they were not booked. Lot's of great terrain to ride. North over backside of Ski The Beav is Franklin Basin. Which, gives you White and Boss Canyon for some awesome riding. I have stayed in Garden City as well. Town homes are cheap cause their peak rental season is summer. You can ride North of GC up west of Bloomington Rd to Bloomington and Paris Peak. Awesome climbing and views.

In one trip we started in Garden City, Utah. Rode Franklin(Beaver Lodge) Bloomington headed northeast across border and hit Turnerville, Thayne, Bedford area. North to Sheep Creek(palisades) and finished in Cora.

I will agree with Beaver Creek Lodge. Bryan runs a first class show. Great food, selection of sleds, full gear, comfortable rooms and fantastic meals prepped by Gerald & Viv. If I ever go out west again, BCL is where I will go. Its a spendy trip as we flew in to SLC, car rental and the full package at BCL. But it beats the long round trip drive in the dead of Winter and the cost of motels, food, etc. and miles on the vehicles along the way.

jblanck. 600's are no match for off trail unless there is a solid crust. Watch out for the slopes that don't see much sun as that is where the deep soft white stuff is and also the tree wells. My wife was with us on our second trip to BCL and she wondered off on her own and got stuck in a tree well. The plan was for her to follow me but.......... She was only a quarter of a mile or so from the staging area but it took us 15-20 minutes for us to locate her. She hates getting stuck. She was pretty upset with herself and that never happened again.

As others stated, play in the meadows next to the trails. There will probably be some short climbs available. Watch for the tracks of other sleds. If there are there, it should be fine. If not stay away.

Mountain riding is a whole different animal but be prepared and have a plan. Whistles, shovel, flares, lots of water, insulated space blanket, energy bars, spare socks, etc. all fit nicely in a backpack. Take it with you even if you don't use it.

Have fun. Its a trip of a lifetime.

JasonF

I will agree with Beaver Creek Lodge. Bryan runs a first class show. Great food, selection of sleds, full gear, comfortable rooms and fantastic meals prepped by Gerald & Viv. If I ever go out west again, BCL is where I will go. Its a spendy trip as we flew in to SLC, car rental and the full package at BCL. But it beats the long round trip drive in the dead of Winter and the cost of motels, food, etc. and miles on the vehicles along the way.

I might have to consider Beaver Creek for a trip when we plan a last minute trip so I don't have to rent the sleds. We rented one time, a long time ago on our first trip out west, and I said I would only return with my own equipment which we have many times now. I get the argument that it is easier to fly and so on but for me having my own sled, set up perfectly me with my own mods means I don't have to spend any time getting used to a rental.
My original point still applies though There just aren't many places to stay in prime snow country that offer all the amenities at the price that Tog does so in spite of some negatives aspects it still remains a popular place.

Fireworks - how would you compare riding out of Garden City vs Alpine? Never been to either and trying to decide what to do for a March trip.