Flooding

Woodtic

I’m headed up in a few weeks with a empty trailer. Houghton county looks like a disaster. I’m willing to fill the trailer with supplies , bottled water ect. Let me know what’s needed.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's bad. We have been very fortunate, as the rains were not as heavy north of Calumet. We picked up around 2", but others from Lake Linden south to just south of Houghton 6"+.

They are telling everyone to just stay home and off the roads, and we are doing just that. As much as I would like to check out all that is happening just south of us, those doing rescues and other emergency work do not need that kind of extra stuff to worry about. So I am currently getting all of my info through social media and phone calls.

A far as what kind of help is needed, I am not sure just yet, because I think those in the thick of it are also in the fog of war and just doing what needs to be done immediately. A more thorough assessment will be done and I am sure there will be lists of things needed. When that happens, I will be sure to let everyone know here.

Thanks for the concerns and offers to help, the help will be needed. -John

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heavy rains wipe out roads in Houghton

Posted: Sun 10:20 AM, Jun 17, 2018 | Updated: Sun 10:45 AM, Jun 17, 2018

HOUGHTON, MI - (WLUC) - Heavy rains and flooding in Houghton County have forced several road closures this morning:
- US-41 between Chassell and Houghton has suffered multiple washouts. US-41 is closed at the Pilgrim River Bridge.
- M-203 is closed at Brooks Road due to multiple washouts.
- M-26 is closed in Hubbell near Dover Creek due to washouts.
- M-26 is closed near the Mont Ripley ski hill.

The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is currently evaluating the roadways that have been closed and planning detours or potential reopening. MDOT will continue to evaluate the situation as rain in the area continues. More information will be released as it becomes available.
--------------------------------------------------
Weather Emergenecy in the Copper Country.
The cities of Houghton and Hancock and surrounding Houghton County have been devastated by flash floods.

Police advise everyone to shelter in place or seek higher ground. Do not drive anywhere. If you need help to evacuate, call 911.

Heavy rain is washing out roads and flooding basements. Agate Street in Houghton has been washed out. Water and sewer lines are exposed.

Numerous roads are impassable. There are reports of more than 60 sinkholes and wash-outs. The heaviest hit areas are Lake Linden to Dodgeville.

The National Weather Service reports the rain starting in the Copper Country shortly after midnight. In a matter of hours, a weather observer on Quincy Hill recorded 6.72 inches of rain. NWS officials say between 4" and 7" of rain has fallen and it continues to rain.

Fire departments are on stand-by if help is needed. Call 911 if you need help.

snocrazy

I am sure the wave hitting them now (looking at radar) is not helping. We just got hit by a couple of those red blobs. Insane the amount of rain that has fallen this afternoon. Nothing like Houghton.

If you guys are on FB there are a couple of pages with tons of photos: "You know you're from the Copper Country when...." "Keweenaw Reports" "Michigan Tech Alumni"

Tech's admin building is flooded and of course there is all kinds of damage to the roads. Sounds like a few homes, no injuries I saw yesterday. Shoots and Ladders was a shallow river looking at the drone footage.

Gonna be a long fix for sure.

slimcake

WOW is all I can say. Wife and I are also supposed to come up in a couple weeks. But maybe we should just stay out of the way? These heavy rain events are becoming the new normal unfortunately. Around here this summer we have had two 6 inch plus rains this that have come in a few hours. Used to rain all day and get a inch. Now it rains for an hour and you get 3 inches. Looking at the pictures its gonna be a long road to normal....

favoritos

I had no idea there was that much rain up there. That rocky ground does not absorb water very well. The beauty of the terrain also contributes to the challenges of all that rain.
I would love to help, but where do you start? Need convoys of trucks to start hauling all those tailing piles. The material is there. Hopefully, there is a long term plan to help prevent damage for the next big rains. It will not be easy or cheap to do the long term fixes.
I am curious about how that area is treated in times of crisis. Seems like too many of the "fix" decisions are made downstate. Am I wrong with that assumption?

Willh

Took some pictures in and around Houghton today. Looks like Houghton got hit a bit harder than Hancock. M26 northbound towards Lake Linden is completely shut down.

1529340520853.JPEG

1529340533293.JPEG

1529340542936.JPEG

1529340559769.JPEG

1529340572332.JPEG

1529340584066.JPEG

frnash

For more pix & info, see:

1. (click →) Past-E-Mail: Cam Notes - 2018: June: Jun 17-18.
  2. (click →) Past-E-Mail: Cam Notes - 2018: June: Jun 18-18.
Un-frackin'-real!
Sure, there has occasionally been some local flooding during the spring runoff around da UP, but in all of my 77+ years I have never seen or heard of anything this extreme in or around Houghton/Hancock, and surrounding areas.

As mentioned in one of the above links (quoted here in part)
"The Weather Underground website publishes a daily almanac of weather events, and … it looks like in the 23-minute period between 3:30 am and 3:53 am, 2.35 inches of rain fell. That's an insane rate of accumulation, and of course much, much more rain fell throughout the night."

Also mentioned in one of the links above, but repeated here for emphasis:
"Here is a map someone at MTU is putting together.
It's not complete but there are many more placed affected than I originally thought. You can report missing places to the email on the map."
(click →) Houghton County Road Closures.

Oh, as (click →) Lt. Columbo would say:
"Just one more thing" (also shown in the above links) — Agate Street in Houghton:
Agate Street.JPG
(Click thumbnail for larger image)
has been totally demolished — all the way down to College Avenue! :grief:

Last edited:

frnash

Disaster relief funds established, donation centers activated for Houghton County

For those of you that asked, this from WLUC/TV6 Marquette:
(click →) "Disaster relief funds established, donation centers activated for Houghton County", quoted here, in part:
"The Keweenaw Community Foundation has established a Disaster Relief Fund in order to help those who have been affected in our area. The Disaster Relief Fund will receive and hold monies. Disbursement of the monies will be overseen by the Keweenaw Community Foundation Board of Directors, with input from the Houghton County Emergency Response team.

"Contributions can be made online [where, how? [SUP]1[/SUP]] , or mailed to: Keweenaw Community Foundation, 236 Quincy Street, Hancock, MI 49930. If sending a check, please put "Disaster Relief" in the memo.

For donors seeking another official conduit to contribute to relief efforts, the Portage Health Foundation has offered to serve in this capacity. Acting as the fiscal agent, the Portage Health Foundation Board has approved the creation of the Houghton County Flood Relief Fund and will receive, record, hold and disperse all monies contributed to this fund in a manner that is deemed appropriate by the PHF Board of Directors with input from the Houghton County Emergency Response leadership. All monies contributed to this restricted fund will be used for the distribution of humanitarian relief and recovery efforts of the Houghton County Community during this most disastrous weather event."

[SUP]1[/SUP] Donate on line here (click →): Keweenaw County Foundation DISASTER RELIEF FUND.

packerlandrider

Here's what I've seen having followed it closely via the Internet while in WI this weekend, and now that I'm back up here and have at least driven around Houghton a little bit.

I drove up this afternoon, going from Chassell to Houghton early this afternoon. Highway 41 was open, just down to one lane in a couple spots. This evening I saw pictures of what some of those spots looked like right after the washouts and am downright impressed with how quickly they were patched with gravel fill. In town there certainly is debris, but could tell major efforts were put out already to clean up public spaces. While I didn't get very many places in town, I do live a block away from 41 and it felt like "business as usual" in the area. I think major efforts are going to continue to be made to get the main roads open and driveable as quickly as possible (already seen firsthand on 41).

However, from a transportation standpoint, secondary roads are going to be the bigger problem for the locals who use them. Highways rightfully should be the priority, but there are many locals who live on county roads which only have one access point and now may be stuck transportation wise due to a washout on that single access point, with a great time unknown of when it will be fixed.

Most importantly, keep area homeowners in your thoughts and prayers. For me personally, it is a big unknown on how many have been effected since the structure may look fine from the outside, with possible indoor flood damage unseen. It looks like there are areas around Ripley & Lake Linden were the worst hit in which the building damage is very noticeable, but in other areas property damage can't be seen from the surface.

For anyone who has a pending vacation up here, due to the efforts being put into the main roads, I feel like many vacations a couple weeks from now and beyond will be nearly unaffected. And even if some of the attractions of the immediate Houghton / Hancock area are inaccessible, there is so much more to visit in this area (the main area of destruction is only a small portion of the Western U.P.). The best thing anyone outside the area can do aside from disaster relief funds is come and visit, enjoy the beauty of the area, and support local businesses.

eagle1

Wow, that's crazy. Couldn't imagine being at the bottom of Agate st. watching all that water come down during storm, must've looked like a waterfall!
Hoping for quick recovery those affected!

eao

I am in Hubbell, streets eroded in my neighborhood yet the amount of sight-seers/gawkers is ridiculous, steady stream all day long. People driving down streets that are washed out only have to turn around or backup. I observed one person with a 4x4 truck drive through running water disregarding warnings from a worker telling him to go back. Because he has a 4wd he went anyway through mud and water spinning the tires and changing the course of the water and was heading into worse conditions and no way out. they put up some barricades yesterday and that has curbed most but still people drive into the area and then can't turn around and have to back up through the rocks and sand and undermined streets. One lady on my street almost put her truck into the ditch (blacktop undermined) trying to turn around in my driveway. She only lives 4 blocks away and able bodied, yet driving around where she should not go. Stay home or walk.

Btw, ATV trail #3 from Hancock to Calumet, can't get through, STAY OUT. Several big washouts and some VERY dangerous (water dammed up) areas. Even the paved trail North through Hancock has been damaged.
Dangersous_zpsewxwfols.jpg

35496550_1911107515607906_7545607873728872448_n.jpg

All I have is lots of sand, brush and rocks in my yard (about 1 ft) but no real damage to property. A little mud in part of my basement. Better than what a fireman told me of someone with 3ft of sand in theirs.

Last edited:

mezz

Here are a few shots near my office & parents home. This is Biblical!!! Epic Flash Flood 2018 002.jpg Epic Flash Flood 2018 003.jpg Epic Flash Flood 2018 004.jpg Epic Flash Flood 2018 010.jpg absolutely devastating. BTW, I measured 4" of rainfall in my rain gauge-Mezz

Last edited:

jimmyj

The transformer at the VA Clinic in Hancock was repaired in less than a day. Kudos to the crews in the area working to get the utilities back on line.

slimcake

Mezz and/or John, I am in absolutely in no way trying to minimize this situation as it looks devastating. However already this spring I have had three events where we had 6 inch plus rain events in a short time frame and nothing remotely close to this kind of destruction. Ya the fields washed and the dry runs ran but no real damage to infrastructure. How can a 4 to 6 inch rain event raise that much heck with you guys up there? These pics are from a 5 inch rain that came in 45 minutes. But when the water receded there was really no damage to anything. Guy just north of me said he had 7 inches in his bucket. IMG_20180525_181600925.jpg IMG_20180525_182501509.jpg